Linaro uses the following guidelines for assigning importance. The importance of the bug signifies the priority that it should be given by people fixing bugs.
In order to set the Importance field of a bug in Launchpad, you need to be a member of Linaro either through direct membership or because of your membership in another team. The importance of the bug should be set as soon as possible.
The importance of a bug report can be modified by clicking on the current Status or Importance, in the yellow line and under the "Affects" column header, which will reveal a sub menu. You can then choose a new importance in the drop down box.
Below is a list of the bug importances and when to use them:
Undecided: the default importance for new bugs. It means that there is not sufficient information to determine its importance.
Wishlist: a request to add a new feature to one of the programs in Linaro.
- These aren't always bugs, but can be ideas for new features which do not yet exist.
- If it is non-trivial to implement, it should rather be written as a feature specification (blueprint).
Low: Bugs which affect functionality, but to a lesser extent than most bugs, examples are:
A bug that has an easy work-around
- Ones that affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware
- A bug that has a moderate impact on a non-core application
- A cosmetic/usability issue that does not limit the functionality of a non-core application
Medium: most bugs are of medium importance, examples are:
- A bug that has a moderate impact on a core application.
- A bug that has a severe impact on a non-core application.
- A bug which impacts accessibility of a non-core application.
- A usability issue that does not limit the functionality of a core application.
- A problem with a non-essential hardware component (network card, camera, webcam, music player, sound card, power management feature, printer, etc.)
High: A bug which fulfills one of the following criteria:
- Has a severe impact on a small portion of Linaro users (estimated)
- Makes a default Linaro installation generally unusable for some users
- For example, if the system fails to boot, or X fails to start, on a certain make and model of board
- A problem with an essential hardware component (disk controller, built-in wireless, video card, keyboard, mouse)
- Has a moderate impact on a large portion of Linaro users (estimated)
- A bug which impacts accessibility of a core application
Critical: A bug which has a severe impact on a large portion of Linaro users
internal/archive/Process/Bugs/Importance (last modified 2013-08-28 13:23:43)