Infrastructure Team Meeting

Agenda

  • Actions from last meeting - James chasing
  • Engineer progress reports - all team members
  • Team Status - James and JamieBennett asking questions

  • Any other business (AOB)

Past Action items

  • james_w to co-ordinate deployment of salgado's patchwork tree in his absence: c/o
  • mabac to request reviews for some svammel changes, and review some code from other team members: DONE
  • salgado to send deployment docs to the patchwork RT ticket when ready: DONE
  • james_w to reassign CI spec and ask for workitems: DONE
  • mwhudson to add some people to https://launchpad.net/~linaro-android-builders: DONE

  • mwhudson to talk to plars about lava: DONE

People Present

Action Items

  • james_w to co-ordinate deployment of salgado's patchwork tree in his absence


Engineers Reports

Michael Hudson-Doyle <mwhudson>

Highlights

Plans

  • Fix any issues that come up with the android team start to use my code.
    • This includes figuring out why instances are not being automatically provisioned from ec2.
  • Clean up the android build frontend code so that it can be maintained by someone else if necessary.
  • (tentative, need to talk to James first) Start to ramp up work on the LAVA scheduler, this means having a few more calls with Paul I suspect.

Issues

  • The lack of automatic provisioning with Jenkins is still a mystery.

Deepti B. Kalakeri <deepti>

Highlights

  • Did some studies on the ec2 regarding the assigning how to assign external ip address.
  • Identified the ec2-instance type that will be used for the Continuous Integration work.
  • Started configuring Jenkins on the ec2-instance identified.
  • Identified the work items and changed the continuous Integration blueprint to include the same.
  • Started looking into how to setup hostname to the ec2 instance. Sent mail to linaro@rt.canonical.com to get the dns entry for ec2 instance.This is will help to use a more friendly hostname than using a big default domain name given by amazon.

Plans

  • Follow up on the DNS entry thing for the ec2 instance.
  • I have USB to serial adapter to use Panda/Beagle Board now. I plan to do some testing with Beagle board as part of weekly build image tests.
  • Setup the launchpad gcc build and automated tests in Jenkins to start with the Continuous Integration work.

Issues

  • Facing problem working with ec2. Getting the following error: Client.AuthFailure. My ec2 credentials were messed up. Took sometime to figure this out.

Absences

  • was on leave on March 11th, 2011.
  • Plan to take couple of days off during the last week of March

Mattias Backman <mabac>

Highlights

  • Merged some branches into svammel trunk representing a few small changes.
  • I am nearly ready to submit a few more branches which introduce proper cross checking of multiple archives.
  • I got some good feedback from Steve and James which led to a change in strategy regarding downloading successful build logs.
  • Reviewed a few branches of work-items-tracker.

Plans

  • Will push on for Budapest travel arrangements. Still no formal approval which prevents reservation.
  • Implement the final few features missing in svammel, and then handle change requests.
  • And get the Panda running, I have not made that a priority yet.

Issues

  • Nothing to report.

James Westby <james_w>

Highlights

Plans

  • Deploy remaining status.linaro.org branches, and ensure there are no more requests before the project can be moved to maintainence.

Issues

  • None to report.

Your Name <irc nick>

Highlights

  • Short bullet points of work you've done that week which convey progress and highlights which can be used to report on how the team is progressing as a whole.

Plans

  • Your individual plans for the coming week(s).

Issues

  • Your individual plans for the coming week(s).


IRC log

Started logging meeting in #linaro-meeting
[14:02:29] <james_w> [AGENDA] https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Infrastructure/Meetings/2011-03-15
[14:02:51] <james_w> [TOPIC] Actions from last meeting
[14:03:24] <james_w> james_w to co-ordinate deployment of salgado's patchwork tree in his absence
[14:03:29] <james_w> carry over
[14:03:35] <james_w> mabac to request reviews for some svammel changes, and review some code from other team members
[14:03:47] <JamieBennett> (james_w: added them to todays page now)
[14:03:52] <james_w> this has been done, thanks mabac
[14:03:54] <james_w> thanks JamieBennett
[14:03:59] <james_w> salgado to send deployment docs to the patchwork RT ticket when ready
[14:04:02] <james_w> done as well
[14:04:08] <james_w> james_w to reassign CI spec and ask for workitems
[14:04:11] <james_w> done, thanks deepti
[14:04:16] <james_w> mwhudson to add some people to https://launchpad.net/~linaro-android-builders
[14:04:17] <james_w> done
[14:04:22] <james_w> mwhudson to talk to plars about lava
[14:04:23] <james_w> done
[14:04:27] <james_w> excellent
[14:05:01] <james_w> [TOPIC] Engineer progress reports
[14:05:19] <james_w> JamieBennett, what do you imagine for this section now that everyone is putting their reports on the page before the meeting?
[14:05:34] <deepti> james_w: discuss issues :) if any
[14:05:46] <JamieBennett> james_w: its just a section for each engineer to discuss progress and issues outside of the report
[14:06:20] <JamieBennett> james_w: if you feel its not necessary then we can skip
[14:06:39] <james_w> ok, does anyone have any progress or issues that weren't mentioned in the reports?
[14:06:52] <JamieBennett> james_w: we do have two issues in the team according to the reports
[14:07:18] <JamieBennett> * The lack of automatic provisioning with Jenkins is still a mystery.
[14:07:27] <JamieBennett> * Facing problem working with ec2. Getting the following error: Client.AuthFailure. My ec2 credentials were messed up. Took sometime to figure this out.
[14:07:37] <deepti> james_w: or may be James you can let us know about any outcome of some meeting in detail if you think that is interesting for everyone to know..
[14:07:39] <james_w> deepti, I think you figured that out?
[14:07:56] <deepti> james_w: Yes I have solved that
[14:08:01] <JamieBennett> is that something that needs documenting for next time?
[14:08:04] <james_w> deepti, let me look at the meetings I had this week
[14:08:29] <deepti> james_w: somehow the credentials on my machine and the ec2 were mismatching and hence the problem
[14:09:13] <james_w> oh! I forgot that in my report. I interviewed another candidate last week for our open role, and we will be making them an offer.
[14:09:27] <JamieBennett> awesome
[14:09:45] <james_w> so, fingers crossed. I'll obviously let you know as soon as they accept, if they do
[14:10:37] <james_w> the other meetings I attended were techleads: https://wiki.linaro.org/EngineeringUnits/Management
[14:11:28] <james_w> if you would like to attend the Ubuntu Platform Rally then please let me know. I believe that it is not worth it to send someone from this team this time
[14:11:45] * JamieBennett nods
[14:12:24] <james_w> I'm also going to be having a discussion with Scott B about how the Landing Teams and Platform can work better, specifically around new hardware support (new hwpacks and additions to linaro-media-create)
[14:12:56] <james_w> and the final thing is that we are looking at whether we can improve our tracking of the requirements process leading up to UDS
[14:13:08] <james_w> so discussions around blueprints, UDS scheduling etc.
[14:13:27] <james_w> there's nothing decided there yet, but it is likely to require a bit of work from us to change some of our tools to cope
[14:13:54] <james_w> that's all I have, it's been a quiet week for meetings
[14:14:09] <JamieBennett> I have a couple of things here
[14:14:43] <JamieBennett> * svammel is in the process of having its license approved, got positive feedback from most companies now
[14:15:12] <JamieBennett> I also have two questions
[14:15:29] <JamieBennett> so I'll just go ahead and ask them :)
[14:15:54] <JamieBennett> deepti: is the current situation that you have not been approved travel for UDS this time around? Is this likely to change or is it final?
[14:16:47] <deepti> JamieBennett: I think it will not change .. I will not be travelling for UDS this time
[14:16:57] <james_w> :-(
[14:17:01] <james_w> that's a shame
[14:17:02] <JamieBennett> deepti: OK, thanks for the confirmation
[14:17:22] <JamieBennett> mabac: same question to you, are you still seeking approval or has it been decided?
[14:18:13] <mabac> I have verbal confirmation that is it ok, and I can go. But there's no progress on the actual formal approval.
[14:18:30] <JamieBennett> mabac: OK, thats encouraging at least :)
[14:18:50] <JamieBennett> mabac: do you know when formal approval will be likely?
[14:19:24] <mabac> I would have hoped that it'd be sorted out weeks ago. But there are two management levels involved currently.
[14:19:44] <JamieBennett> mabac: anything james_w or I can do or is it all internal?
[14:19:45] <mabac> So I'll bug my direct manager tomorrow and hope he can poke his manager...
[14:20:10] <mabac> It's internal cost-awareness stuff only.
[14:20:18] <JamieBennett> OK, thanks for the update
[14:20:22] <mabac> Sure.
[14:20:51] <JamieBennett> james_w: with mwhudson working on LAVA now will it impact the stakeholder projects we currently have (or are in the pipe)?
[14:21:05] <james_w> JamieBennett, mwhudson isn't working on LAVA at this time
[14:21:13] <JamieBennett> james_w: but it is planned?
[14:21:18] <james_w> it's not decided
[14:21:43] <JamieBennett> OK, do we know when the decision will be made on mwhudson next project?
[14:22:04] <james_w> we are currently discussing if there is a need for someone else to help with validation's LAVA project, and mwhudson was suggested as a good candidate
[14:22:43] <james_w> we are still discussing if adding someone would help, and whether mwhudson is the right person for that (given the effect it would have on our team)
[14:23:11] <JamieBennett> OK, let me know the outcome of the decisions (or cc me) as it affect two of my teams of course
[14:23:12] <james_w> this would obviously impact what the team was able to get done, but we haven't made any concrete decisions yet
[14:23:22] <james_w> JamieBennett, of course
[14:23:27] <JamieBennett> thanks
[14:23:43] <james_w> we will likely discuss it at the Platform Leads meeting later
[14:23:47] <JamieBennett> OK
[14:23:52] <JamieBennett> 
[14:25:33] <james_w> thanks JamieBennett
[14:25:45] <james_w> does anyone else have any questions they would like to ask?
[14:26:00] <mabac> I don't
[14:26:53] <deepti> james_w: nope
[14:27:14] <james_w> [TOPIC] Any other business
[14:27:21] <james_w> I guess that's take care of then
[14:28:44] <james_w> thanks all for your time
[14:28:48] <james_w> #endmeeting
Meeting ended.

internal/archive/Platform/Infrastructure/Meetings/2011-03-15 (last modified 2013-08-23 01:58:28)