Infrastructure Team Meeting

Agenda

  • Actions from last meeting
  • Team Status
  • AOB

Past Action items

  • james_w to co-ordinate deployment of salgado's patchwork tree in his absence
  • james_w to email salgado about patch metrics
  • james_w to get deepti a machine to host jenkins
  • mabac to request reviews for some svammel changes, and review some code from other team members
  • salgado to send deployment docs to the patchwork RT ticket when ready
  • james_w to request status reports on Monday

Action Items

  • james_w to co-ordinate deployment of salgado's patchwork tree in his absence
  • mabac to request reviews for some svammel changes, and review some code from other team members
  • salgado to send deployment docs to the patchwork RT ticket when ready
  • james_w to reassign CI spec and ask for workitems
  • mwhudson to add some people to https://launchpad.net/~linaro-android-builders

  • mwhudson to talk to plars about lava


Engineers Reports

Michael Hudson-Doyle <mwhudson>

Highlights

Again, entirely focused on the android build service. Since the last report, I've:

  • Implemented configuration editing
  • Implemented configuration deletion
  • Implemented a 'build now' button
  • Made the 'new configuration' feedback reasonable

Sadly, all of these require write access to jenkins and I haven't set this up yet on the public instance so you can't play with these new features yet. You can see all changes in https://code.launchpad.net/~mwhudson/linaro-android/frontend:the%20code, but it's a bit messy for the uninitiated. Once I have write access set up (appropriately restricted), these features mean that the build service should start to become genuinely useful for the linaro-android engineers.

Plans

  • The following build service features should be implemented in the next week:
    • Converting existing jobs on android-build.linaro.org to use a parameter to store the configuration.
    • Restricting the ability to write to a particular team on Launchpad.
    • Setting up this team.
    • Allow marking a configuration to be built daily.
    • Allow creation of official configurations.
  • I might also investigate setting up a sandbox environment to which write access can be granted without costing Linaro money.

Issues

  • Nothing in particular.

Deepti B. Kalakeri<deepti>

Highlights

  • Started exploring and understanding how to use the ec2 instance. Plan is to use the ec2 instance for setting up the Continuous Integration work.
  • Reading through the documentation available @ http://aws.amazon.com/ to identify the pros and cons of ec2 instance types and the pricing details, etc.

    • I have identified to use ebs instance either small or large for the master and include slaves as when needed for builds.
  • I received a panda board last Thursday, I have not started using it as Avik is using it for verifying oprofile bugs he is assigned to.(see issue section below)

Plans

  • I will get the USB to serial adapter to use Panda/Beagle Board as this is not supplied along with the Board I got. The board will be useful in doing some weekly build image tests.
  • Start using the ec2 instance that is identified to install Jenkins as part of Continuous Integration work.
  • Setup the launchpad gcc build and automated tests in Jenkins to start with the Continuous Integration work.

Issues

  • I plan to borrow his beagle board if he plans to use the panda board for longer. The problem is we both sit in different offices so it is taking time to work on it.

Absences

  • On leave on March 11, 2011.

Mattias Backman <mabac>

Highlights

  • I rewrote some parts of svammel with the dual purpose of removing borrowed GPL code and to optimize the flow. See https://code.launchpad.net/~mabac/svammel/re-implement-harvesting-code/+merge/52563

  • I also committed some minor changes to text output of the tool and have requested feedback from Steve Langasek as stakeholder of svammel.
  • I received a Panda board on Friday last week, but have not been able to test it yet (since I haven't been to the office, see Issues section)

Plans

  • I will get a PSU and SD card for the Panda board and start using it.
  • I will add features to Svammel. Next in line is checking for successful builds in main archive to avoid adding bugs if later versions work and a log of what has already been reported to avoid repeating filing.
  • I will take part in code reviews as promised last week.

Issues

  • I've been working from home two days since I managed to catch a cold again. I'm well enough to be able to work, but haven't been able to get connectors for the Panda yet.

Absences

  • Lost half a day on Friday due to my daughter being ill.

Guilherme Salgado <salgado>

  • National holidy

James Westby <james_w>

Highlights

  • Enabled tracking workitems as bugs against projects other than Ubuntu on status.linaro.org. This allows teams such as the toolchain WG to use their preferred workflows for these items.
  • Stakeholders meeting
    • Status update to the stakeholders on our current projects
    • Good discussion around possible future projects
    • No new projects accepted at this time as we are not likely to start many new ones in the next month
  • Many meetings, some about current work, some about next cycle planning, and the rest co-ordination meetings
  • Alpha 3 testing
  • Discussions around patch tracking, and answering questions as more people start to follow the process
  • Did a mockup of some ideas for representing postponed + blocked item summary on status.linaro.org. These will be considered for status v2.
  • Co-ordinated new team status reports as part of the meeting.
  • Reviewed some branches (linaro-image-tools and svammel)
  • Co-ordinated with contractor to get theme for the upcoming status.linaro.org

Plans

Issues

  • Project management taking up a large proportion of my time.


IRC log

<james_w> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Infrastructure/Meetings/2011-03-08
<Mootbot-UK> LINK received:  https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Infrastructure/Meetings/2011-03-08
<james_w> [TOPIC] Actions from last meeting
<Mootbot-UK> New Topic:  Actions from last meeting
<james_w> james_w to co-ordinate deployment of salgado's patchwork tree in his absence
<james_w> ongoing
<james_w> james_w to email salgado about patch metrics
<james_w> DONE
<james_w> james_w to get deepti a machine to host jenkins
<james_w> DONE - she now has ec2 credentials to create as many as she wants :-)
<james_w> mabac to request reviews for some svammel changes, and review some code from other team members
<james_w> carry over I guess
<james_w> salgado to send deployment docs to the patchwork RT ticket when ready
<james_w> carry over I think
<james_w> james_w to request status reports on Monday
<james_w> DONE-ish
<james_w> thanks for putting them on the wiki
<james_w> [TOPIC] Team Status
<Mootbot-UK> New Topic:  Team Status
<james_w> I guess I can ready yours and you can read mine and see if we have any questions :-)
<lool> Does deepti have a spec to work from for jenkins?
* JamieBennett is here :)
<james_w> hi JamieBennett
<james_w> lool, you mean a spec for the work she is doing, or a guide to setting it up?
<mwhudson> i've actually implemented a couple of things from my plans already
<lool> Either
<james_w> mwhudson, thanks for the status report, it's very clear
<JamieBennett> deepti has no work items
<JamieBennett> or specs according to status
<james_w> the workitems weren't clear until some investigation was done
<james_w> ah, I should reassign the spec
<mwhudson> i should add some people to https://launchpad.net/~linaro-android-builders
<james_w> [ACTION] james_w to reassign CI spec and ask for workitems
<Mootbot-UK> ACTION received:  james_w to reassign CI spec and ask for workitems
<lool> I'm just curious whether she has any plan or mentor for this work, as she was new to AWS stuff
<james_w> [ACTION] mwhudson to add some people to https://launchpad.net/~linaro-android-builders
<Mootbot-UK> ACTION received:  mwhudson to add some people to https://launchpad.net/~linaro-android-builders
<lool> mwhudson: What's the team for?
<james_w> lool, she's learning about ec2 now, and can ask for assistance if wanted
<lool> is this used in the new jenkins openid plugin to allow people to control builds?
<mwhudson> lool: it's the people who can set up builds on https://android-build.linaro.org/mockup/index
<mwhudson> lool: sort of yes, except it's not related to jenkins auth at all
<lool> Ok
<james_w> mwhudson, did you try the new openid plugin, or do we not really care as few people will use it directly?
<mwhudson> james_w: i haven't tried the update, no
<mwhudson> actually i think i've installed it, but i haven't tried to use it
<mwhudson> jenkins security scares me a bit, because if you make a mistake you can end up having to set it all up again
<james_w> lool, did you try the mirror service for CrOS?
<lool> No; I did ask Steve to though  :-)
<mwhudson> doesn't look like anyone did
<james_w> ok
<james_w> [TOPIC] AOB
<Mootbot-UK> New Topic:  AOB
<james_w> anything else anyone wants to bring up?
<james_w> JamieBennett, anything for us this week?
<JamieBennett> james_w: no, just a reminder for activity reports ;)
<james_w> JamieBennett, did you check the meeting page?
<JamieBennett> yep :)
<james_w> ok
<mwhudson> i guess i should have a task to talk to plars
<james_w> mwhudson, apropos our call?
<mwhudson> yeah
<james_w> [ACTION] mwhudson to talk to plars about lava
<Mootbot-UK> ACTION received:  mwhudson to talk to plars about lava
<james_w> ok, thanks everyone

internal/archive/Platform/Infrastructure/Meetings/2011-03-08 (last modified 2013-08-23 01:59:14)