Monday 16th August 2010

This month's meetings

<<MonthCalendar: execution failed [Argument "anniversary" must be a boolean value, not "workinggroups/toolchain/meetingtemplate"] (see also the log)>>

Attendees

Agenda

Action Items from this Meeting

  • ACTION: Michael to think about synchronising Linaro releases with upstream
  • ACTION: Michael to organise a call with Matthias, Loic to continue the topic
  • ACTION: Michael to write up and email patch tracker mechanics for review
  • ACTION: Ulrich to add his time away to the Linaro calendar
  • ACTION: Michael and Ulrich to add GDB new features as blueprints to Launchpad
  • ACTION: Andrew to look into frequent runs of CSL benchmarks
  • ACTION: Michael to make sure Linaro has a FSF copyright assignment agreement

Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • DONE: Richard to ask the GCC developers on IRC what the status of 4.4.5 is
    • Matthias talked with Jacob and they expect a release at the end of August
  • DONE: Andrew to merge 4.5.1 and the Firefox fix by 2010-08-17
  • DONE: Ulrich to ticket GDB items
  • DONE: Michael to understand whiteboards as a way of organising features

Minutes

Upstream patches:

  • Loic, Matthias, and Michael discussed tracking the upstream release branch
  • Upstream has a roughly three week cycle on patch releases
  • Matthias tracks this release branch and pulls in SVN as a patch into Ubuntu
  • Michael is concerned about the extra work, pulling a partial
    • feature, catching a regression, fallout due to releasing something that upstream hasn't released,
  • Release branches are very stable. Chance of a regression is low
  • Better chance of getting a problem fixed upstream if caught early before the release
  • Loic: harder to track upstream
  • Loic: also harder to identify a Linaro release - FSF-4.4.4+svr12345+bzr6789...
  • Matthias spoke with Jacob in GCC. They expect a release at the end of
    • August
  • Michael prefers basing on released versions only
  • Michael also wants to be able to reproduce any issues found in Ubuntu. Hard at the
    • moment as Ubuntu runs Linaro plus a reasonably large set of patches

ts to be able

  • One approach: merge the day after the Linaro release. Gives the maximum time for
    • testing. Still a month behind, still have Ubuntu GCC != Linaro GCC
  • Matthias
    • Would continue to keep diff between Linaro and upstream
    • Is doing changes upstream
    • Would have to maintain those separately
    • If there are release critical changes, would have to do them himself
  • Discussed different phase of Linaro GCC vs Ubuntu - the releases won't be in sync so there will always be a need for release critical fixes in Ubuntu
  • ACTION: Michael to think about synchronising Linaro releases with upstream
    • Drift the Linaro release to be a week later than the upstream release
  • Andrew wasn't concerned. Noted that the release branches are really good
  • ACTION: Michael to organise a call with Matthias, Loic to continue the topic

Patch tracking:

  • Cortex-A5 changes are coming into Linaro
  • Michael did a quick show and tell on the patch tracker hack
  • ACTION: Michael to write up and email patch tracker mechanics for review

Other topics:

  • Ulrich is out on vacation next week
  • ACTION: Ulrich to add his time away to the Linaro calendar
  • ACTION: Michael and Ulrich to add GDB new features as blueprints to Launchpad
  • Michael noted that we use bzr for version control wherever possible, including for QEMU
  • Michael asked Andrew if we could start regular runs of the commonly used benchmark
  • ACTION: Andrew to look into frequent runs of CSL benchmarks
  • String routines
    • Michael talked with upstream and they greatly prefer FSF+LGPL
    • ACTION: Michael to make sure Linaro has a FSF copyright assignment agreement
  • Loic mentioned Valgrind patches
    • Peter is interested in helping

Next meeting is a stand-up meeting on 2010-08-18 on the public code.

WorkingGroups/ToolChain/Meetings/Archive/2010-08-16 (last modified 2013-08-30 11:48:08)