Andrew Stubbs <ams@codesourcery.com>

  • Booked hotel and travel for Linaro Connect in Orlando.
  • Fixed a couple of bugs in my thumb2 constants patch and retested. The test results came back clean, so I've committed it upstream.
  • Bernd claimed he has found some test failures that might be caused by my patch, but I couldn't reproduce them at first. I've now got the failure, but I've not yet investigated the cause. Next week ...
  • Committed my widening multiplies patches to Linaro GCC, after first convincing Richard Sandiford that it wasn't totally bonkers.
  • Started work on ARM GCC tuning options:
  • Joseph found an issue with those patches, but that was easily resolved and I've reposted both.

Revital Eres <revital.eres@linaro.org>

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>

Current Milestones

Planned

Estimate

Actual

qemu-linaro 2011-09

2011-09-15

2011-09-15

Historical Milestones:

qemu-linaro 2011-04

2011-04-21

2011-04-21

2011-04-21

qemu-linaro 2011-05

2011-05-19

2011-05-19

n/a

close out 1105 blueprints

2011-05-28

2011-05-28

2011-05-19

complete 1111 planning

2011-05-28

2011-05-28

2011-05-27

qemu-linaro-2011-06

2011-06-16

2011-06-16

2011-06-16

qemu-linaro-2011-07

2011-07-21

2011-07-21

2011-07-21

qemu-linaro 2011-08

2011-08-18

2011-08-18

2011-08-18

upstream-omap3-patches

  • finished the fairly nasty rebase of qemu-linaro onto upstream master (several invasive changes went into master that meant a number of our local patches needed updating)
  • omap_gpmc changes cleaned up, updated to use MemoryRegions, and submitted to upstream (17 patch patchset)

gsoc-support

  • final meeting/evaluation writeup now the GSoC project has ended
  • we now have a first pass at what some upstream-acceptable versions of the Android goldfish platform devices might look like, and a much better idea of the degree of difference between the android and upstream qemu trees, and where the pitfalls/issues lie

other

* Current qemu patch status is tracked here: https://wiki.linaro.org/PeterMaydell/QemuPatchStatus

Absences

Oct 30-Nov 04: Linaro Connect Q4.11

Richard Sandiford <richard.sandiford@linaro.org>

This week

  • Wrote some patches to make SMS schedule register moves. They made a significant difference to some libav loops. I'm running a regression test on pwoerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0 and will submit upstream next week if all goes OK.
  • Looked at why mjpegenc was so much worse with SMS. Turned out to be a register spilling problem. Found that -fira-algorithm=priority avoids the regression and makes several other tests better too. (I just tested that to see whether there was a feasible register allocation for these cases; -fira-algorithm=priority isn't the way to go.)

* Saw that the register allocator seemed to be tripping over the XImode "structure" values, and that we still had one vector move per structure element by the time we get to the scheduling passes. Eliminated those with a combination of one fix and one hack. It seemed to avoid the allocation problems.

  • Patch review (Linaro and upstream).
  • Backported libgcc visibility fix to 4.6 and 4.5.

Next week

  • Submit register-scheduling patch.
  • Submit memory cost patch (from auto-inc-dec changes)
  • Possibly submit the auto-inc-dec changes themselves, depending on how the rtx cost discussion goes.

Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana.radhakrishnan@linaro.org>

GCC

Progress

  • Looked at the vectorize_with_neon_quad failure again and decided hat I had to handle another case but not convinced that the extra stall we'd get in this case was worth it. In any case it would have been a workaround but Richard Sandiford fixed this by getting df to do he right thing which would have been the right fix.
  • Backported tbh patch.
  • Backported conditional execution improvements patch from Jiangning to Linaro 4.6 branch.
  • Committed the LTO + Neon / Android intrinsics patch.
  • Panda seems more reliable this week but I suspect that's the room cooling more .
  • Broke up a few blueprints and marked some as done.
  • BRANCH_COST results show not a huge variation in SPEC and there are some results that are inconsistent.. Need to run a few benchmarks again Sigh :( .

  • Finished the A9 scheduler patch for smull and friends and committed upstream and into Linaro 4.6.
  • Reviewed the shrink-wrapping patch and the widening multiplies patch for a short duration.
  • Looked at the failures in the "popular embedded benchmark" for sometime with Asa.
  • Tried one of the ICE patches and that seemed to work just fine with bootstrap on FSF trunk. Need to figure out why this was breaking in the Linaro 4.6 tree. https://bugs.launchpad.net/gcc-linaro/+bug/689887

Plans

  • Next Week - Holiday :) Feet not up but walking in what looks like typical bank holiday weather ... Might check email later in the week.

Meetings

  • 1-1s
  • TCWG calls
  • Thumb2 performance call.

Absences

  • 29th Aug - Sept. 2 - Holiday booked and approved.
  • 31st Oct - 4th Nov - Linaro Summit Orlando - Travel booked – hotel to be booked.

WorkingGroups/ToolChain/ActivityReports/2011-08-27 (last modified 2011-08-30 21:31:23)