Wednesday 18/08/2010

This month's meetings

<<MonthCalendar: execution failed [Argument "anniversary" must be a boolean value, not "workinggroups/powermanagement/meetingtemplate"] (see also the log)>>

Attendees

Name

Email

IRC Nick

Amit Kucheria

amit.kucheria@linaro.org

amitk

Amit Arora

amit.arora@linaro.org

amitarora

Vishwanath Sripathy

vishwanath.sripathy@linaro.org

vishwas

Bobby Bhatacharia

bobby.bhatacharia@arm.com

bobbyb_arm

Srinivas Kalaga

srinivas.kalaga@arm.com

?

Yong Shen

yong.shen@linaro.org

yongs

Agenda

  • Review action items from last meeting
  • Blueprint status

Blueprint

Assignee

Master blueprint for PM WG

amitk

PM Tools

amitarora

CPUIdle

vishwanath-bs

Cpufreq

amitk

  • HW governers
  • Powerdebug - Amit A and Yong to co-operate on the list of info we've noted in the Master Task List against powerdebug
    • hwmon not much used
    • camera goes to v4l
    • battery goes to supply class
    • omap4 - temperature sensor exported to hwmon
    • power supply class support to be added

Action Items from this Meeting

  • ACTION: Amit A to test on pm enabled OMAP3 board
  • ACTION: Amit A to document details on power supply class (battery info) to PowerTOP internal wiki page
  • ACTION: Yong to look into getting powertop kernel patches applied to Linaro kernel tree
  • ACTION: Robin to send links to patches sent to linux-pm
  • ACTION: Amit K to spend some time on usecase to reproduce ondemand governor problems
  • ACTION: Yong to look at common clock FW, find out if debug info being exported (usage count, clk rate, dependencies)

Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • ACTIVE (Immediate):
    • ACTION: Robin and Srinivas to target the ftrace patches for upstream.:
      • Srinivas to clarify what tree/branch is being used for this work: DONE
        • ARM to sit on patches, perhaps get TI to carry them.
    • ACTION: Amit A to get review and then post powertop patches to powertop list upstream: DONE
      • New ACTION: Amit A to test on pm enabled OMAP3 board
    • ACTION: Amit A to look at power supply framework
      • New ACTION: Amit A to document details on power supply class (battery info) to PowerTOP internal wiki page
    • ACTION: Amit K to look at getting powertop kernel patches applied to Linaro kernel tree: Carry forward
      • New ACTION: Yong to look into this
    • ACTION: Vishwa to send instrumentation patches to linaro-dev: DONE
    • ACTION: Vishwa to send usecase to reproduce ondemand governor problems: Tranferred to Amit K
      • New ACTION: Robin to send link to some interesting patches from linux-pm
    • ACTION: Amit K to spend some time on usecase to reproduce ondemand governor problems: Carry forward
  • ACTIVE (Long Term) :
    • ACTION: Srinivas to provide details of where he believes userspace - kernel interaction is required. (low prio)
    • ACTION: Bobby to check on multi-core boards availability (request open)
    • ACTION: ARM to discuss giving out internal Eclipse based tool (similar to powertop) (no ETA as of now)
    • ACTION: Amit Kucheria and Vishwa to get inputs from community on the issues related to CPUIDLE governor: POSTPONED until instrumentation work
  • DORMANT :
    • ACTION: ARM to share internal instrumentation flow (BAB: we might also align with Linaro on workload discussions)
      • Might take couple of months
    • ACTION: Amit K to talk to jeremy about power domain framework: DONE
      • Jeremy needs help, will revisit in a few weeks

Minutes

  • Vishwa and Srinivas on holidays
  • Powerdebug:
    • Start a wiki page to note findings (amit a)
    • ACTION: Yong to look at common clock FW, find out if debug info being exported (usage count, clk rate, dependencies)
      • Add code to powerdebug to read this debug information
  • Power management differentiation
    • Discussion with Robin from ARM about common frameworks
    • Robin not convinced about all the consolidation effort, since some of it is seen as competetive differentiator
    • Amit K believes Mechanism should be common amongst vendors so that can use common tools and design patterns.
      • Policies can be different to allow differentiation
      • e.g. have a cpufreq and cpuidle driver allows all vendors to use powertop tool. If current frameworks don't suit the needs, we can work with upstream to extend them.

WorkingGroups/PowerManagement/Meetings/2010-08-18 (last modified 2010-08-18 09:25:21)