Time/Place

Place: #linaro-meeting on irc.linaro.org or irc.freenode.net

  • Time: Tuesday at 1300 UTC

Agenda

Standing Agenda

[TOPIC] review actions from last meeting
[TOPIC] review team work
[TOPIC] Status reports 
[TOPIC] AOB 

Actions

 * everybody to upload ssh keys to launchpad account
 * everybody to publish curret state of developments in git
 * Sachin to announce that details of public call IRC Only
 * Sachin to request information on vendor specific EGL extensions from all vendors for video rendering 
 * Kurt to contact upstream to discuss our ideas for PulseAudio DONE
 * Ronny ,Kan to subscribe to ffmpeg mailing list and announce our plans with AAC and VP8
 * Rony to check whether Google provides neon optimised VP8 decoder and whether it is suitable to work on that
 * Sachin to discuss ARM PPA requirements with ASAC and tgall
 * Mandeep to discuss with tgall on packaging his version of libjpegturbo
 * Sachin to creete project in launchpad for instrumented player and system metrics application
 * Sachin to create wiki page for status reporting this week and take care from next weeks

Minutes

Meeting opened by gsachin at 13:01

  • <gsachin> [TOPIC] : review past actions

: review past actions

  • <gsachin> action everybody to upload ssh keys to launchpad account

    <gsachin> so only Jian has not uploaded his ssh key

    <gsachin> for rest we have confirmation of git accounts creation

    <gsachin> is everybody able to access git.linaro.org

    <gsachin> I know Rony has a problem

    <gsachin> anybody else

    <benjiG> I have issue too

    <benjiG> with STE proxy and IT rules :-(

    <gsachin> so Benjig did you follow with IT guys

    <benjiG> yes the request is on going

    <gsachin> ok

    <gsachin> anybody else

    <ronynandy> has anyone logged into git.linaro.org?

    <vishalr> yes

    <gsachin> yes

    <sudipj> I also could log in

    <krtaylor> I will and let you know

    <gsachin> Mandeep ,Kan ???

    <ronynandy> gsachin:if possible have a talk with your sys admin guy and let me know what firewall modification he has done...it will be of g8 help for others

    <ronynandy> our sysadmin is totally confused

    <mkum> i have not yet tried but will check later today

    <kan_hu|2> I will try

    <gsachin> As far as we are concerned we are also following it with our admin but we have been able to verify through an external connection

    <robclark> fwiw, maybe this helps: http://help.github.com/firewalls-and-proxies/

    <vishalr> yes, we have logged without using ste proxy

    <robclark> for push access over ssh, I use corkscrew setup in my ~/.ssh/config

    <gsachin> [LINK] http://help.github.com/firewalls-and-proxies/

http://help.github.com/firewalls-and-proxies/

  • <gsachin> ok

    <gsachin> [ACTION] : Mandeep,Kurt,Kan to verify access to git

: Mandeep,Kurt,Kan to verify access to git

  • <gsachin> Rob can you share more details on corkscrew

  • robclark is just a user of corkscrew..

    <robclark> sudo apt-get install corkscrew ;-)

    <gsachin> ok

    <krtaylor> gsachin, just did, I have no problems

    <gsachin> ok

    <gsachin> is corkscrew some workaround for people sitting behind proxies

    <robclark> yes, it is basically for tunneling connections over proxy

    <gsachin> ok

    <kan_hu|2> maybe need some feature of proxy

    <benjiG> yes it works for me for git

http://linux.die.net/man/1/corkscrew

RONY to try corkscrew

  • <gsachin> Rony is it ok

    <gsachin> ok moving to next action

    <robclark> benjiG, for ssh push access, I have something like this in my ~/.ssh/config: http://paste.ubuntu.com/558101/

    <robclark> that will configure ssh to use corkscrew

    <benjiG> robclark: I will test that, thanks

    <robclark> np

    <gsachin> [ACTION] Benjig to try corkscrew

Benjig to try corkscrew

  • <gsachin> next action everybody to publish curret state of developments in git

    <gsachin> so can we start movinf current developments to git

    <robclark> gsachin, do we have a list to send patches too? Or how will be the development model?

    <robclark> ie. everyone just push, or everyone push to their own branch, or one (or small # of) gatekeepers with push access reviewing and pushing patches, or...

    <gsachin> so first thing is we need to get everything in git

    <gsachin> then for things which have an upstream home we send patches to upstream for review

    <robclark> sure... I was more thinking about the patches that won't go immediately upstream... like changing playbin2 to use autovideoconvert

    <gsachin> they can be in our branches

    <robclark> right

    <gsachin> and can be included in daily packages

    <benjiG> benjiG: maybe we should have a kind of "staging" between developper and upstream ?

    <robclark> but should we still have some control about pushing to our branch.. or do we think we are a small enough group that it won't just be chaos if we all push to the same branch?

    <gsachin> but they become part of releases only when we have confirmation from upstream of their acceptance

    <gsachin> asac : some ideas

    <robclark> gsachin, well, I would like to start pulling in some patches that either (1) won't go upstream until they have matured some (like autovideoconvert), or are temporary 0.10 solutions to problems that won't be solved upstream until 0.11

    <robclark> so that way we can at least have a common linaro gst packages

    <robclark> (core, and gst-plugins-*)

    <robclark> right now.. I guess at least some of us, or maybe all of us, do our own patched gst builds, which would be all different for different platforms

    <gsachin> so do you think it is right if we define gatekeepers for each gst package

    <benjiG> I think it is a good idea

    <robclark> gsachin, I think so.. I think it would be good to send patch to mailing list, so all can see..

    <robclark> and then have one, or a small number of committers to push after review

    <gsachin> ok

    <robclark> to keep everybody in the loop and having an opportunity to comment

    <gsachin> yes right

    <robclark> that is why I asked about mailing list to send patches too :-)

    <gsachin> [ACTION] gsachin to follow up on getting linaro multimedia working group mailing list

gsachin to follow up on getting linaro multimedia working group mailing list

  • <gsachin> [ACTION] : gsachin , rob,benjig to define gatekeepers for gstreamer packages

: gsachin , rob,benjig to define gatekeepers for gstreamer packages

  • <gsachin> Rob,Benjig is anything else required

    <robclark> we probably could have one gatekeeper, or set of gatekeepers for all the gstreamer and gst-plugins-* trees.. I don't think it would be a *huge* number of patches, so it should not be an overwhelming job

    <gsachin> so in that case gatekeepers own the branch that is packaged in linaro for daily packages

    <asac> RE: patch to mailing list ... please use patches@linaro.org + whatever mailing list you want to use

    <robclark> asac, we could just subscribe patches@linaro.org to multimedia-patches@linaro.org or something along those lines?

    <gsachin> Asac I think patches need to be mailed to patches@linaro.org when multimedia WG has agreed that patches are alright

    <asac> the idea is that you send all patches you discuss up-front to patches@linaro.org

    <asac> we will write tools to find the ones that went into one of our trees or upstream

    <robclark> asac, how do you track which patch belongs to which tree

    <asac> git patches have commit ids

    <asac> so if they land in some tree that we know about we can find them

    <gsachin> but for pacthes that didnot go to your tree or upstream what will be your actions

    <asac> of course we have to know what patches we are working against ... but all git.linaro.org is safe bet and looking at all gstreamer git trees would also be easy i guess

    <asac> makes some sense? ;)

    <asac> so think about patches@linaro.org a patch-paste-bin ;)

    <robclark> asac, it isn't too hard for a human to figure out, but there are 5 different gst trees we are talking about (not counting gst-openmax)

    <robclark> so it might be hard for a script to figure out ;-)

    <gsachin> [ACTION] : gsachin,rob,benjamin to discuss with Asac on final strategy for patches

: gsachin,rob,benjamin to discuss with Asac on final strategy for patches

  • <asac> robclark: sure ... our bot would just look at all and find a) all linaro.org commits ... and b) all commits that have a matching git commit it from patches@linaro.org

    <robclark> hmm..

    <asac> of course ... many open questions ;)

    <gsachin> Asac,Rob,Benjig we will discuss this ofline

    <asac> sure

    <benjiG> ok

    <robclark> wouldn't that just tell you what patches have been pushed to our tree?

    <robclark> ok, no prob

    <robclark> I was just curious about how it was supposed to work

    <asac> robclark: no ... we also parse all gst related trees ... somehow

    <asac> so i write a bot that crawls git.linaro.org git.freedesktop.org git.gnome.org ... git.collabora.co.uk (if thats the plae where gst stuff lives)

    <robclark> ok.. just keep in mind commit-id's change when patches are rebased

    <robclark> git.freedesktop.org

    <asac> robclark: who rebases them?

    <robclark> well, we do for patches that are not upstream or not upstream yet

    <rkapoor_> let us park this topic for seperate discussion for which sachin already logged action

    <gsachin> Asac,Rob lets discuss this offline we are losing time for meeting

    <robclark> k

    <asac> hehe

    <asac> gsachin: some healthy discussion is good ... but sure. move on please

    <asac> ;)

    <gsachin> next action Sachin to announce that details of public call IRC Only

    <gsachin> done

    <gsachin> next action Kurt to contact upstream to discuss our ideas for PulseAudio DONE

    <gsachin> next action Sachin to request information on vendor specific EGL extensions from all vendors for video

    <gsachin> still pending will do it this week

    <rkapoor_> sachin; if u want i can take this

    <gsachin> next action Ronny ,Kan to subscribe to ffmpeg mailing list and announce our plans with AAC and VP8

    <gsachin> no I will do it as I am also trying to contact Stefan for this

    <gsachin> it seems they have already made some proposal to Khronos

    <gsachin> I will take help form Rob if not able to get to Stefan

    <gsachin> ok so Rony already subscribed to ffmpeg mailing list and announced our intenstions with vp8

    <gsachin> am I correct Ronny

    <gsachin> not sure if Kan has done that for AAC encoder

    <gsachin> Kan.Rony can you update on this

    <gsachin> ok lets move on will take offline with Kan,Rony

    <gsachin> next action Sachin to discuss ARM PPA requirements with ASAC and tgall

    <gsachin> so I had discussion with Asac

    <gsachin> it seems that we will have ppa specific to multimedia working group one for daily packages

    <gsachin> and one for monthlty releases

    <gsachin> and there is no requirement of ARM specific PPA

    <gsachin> ASAC,tgall_foo any comments

    <kunal> are we not going to build arm packages?

    <asac> so ... PPA discussion is ongoing

    <gsachin> ok

    <asac> platform clearly wants to support WGs by providing continuous PPAs

    <asac> and also we want to ensure that your milestone builds will be available in an easy to consume fashion

    <robclark> arm packages would seem useful.. esp if we are able to have a common gst arm packages

    <asac> main point of discussion is the ownership (read: upload permissions) to those ppas

    <asac> my understanding is that there should be active collaboration with packaging experts from platform that help you set up

    <gsachin> Asac : my understanding is that PPA would only contains ARM packages

    <asac> the continuous packages in a automated fashion ... and then WGs have to come up with kind QA procedure to validate that a certain version of the package is good enough to put in a "monthly release ppa"

    <gsachin> if anybody needs support for _x86 he can build fron source packages

    <gsachin> is my understanding correct

    <asac> gsachin: your primary interest is in arm ... but ppas automatically build that stuff on x86

    <asac> which might not be a loss for you ... e.g. might make sense to work on some topics on your x86 machine

    <gsachin> no but ppas are also supposed to contain binary packages

    <asac> so yes, the ppas will have arm enabled ... but builds for x86 and amd64 will happen automatically

    <asac> yesm you get ARM + x86 + amd64 packages

    <asac> from the same ppa

    <gsachin> ok

    <asac> makes sense?

    <asac> good

    <gsachin> that's good I think

    <asac> [ACTION] asac to work with platform leads on process to get packages for mm WG deliverables

    <gsachin> next action Mandeep to discuss with tgall on packaging his version of libjpegturbo

    <asac> thanks

    <asac> (you have to repost to log the action)

    <gsachin> [ACTION] asac to work with platform leads on process to get packages for mm WG deliverables

asac to work with platform leads on process to get packages for mm WG deliverables

  • <mkum> i did discuss with tgall on libjpegturbo

    <gsachin> ok

    <gsachin> Is there progress on this

    <mkum> currently my version do not build for x86

    <mkum> there seems to be some problem in autoconf scripts that do not detect NEON

    <gsachin> ok

    <mkum> so i had to hard code marcros to enable neon

    <mkum> in addition tgall currently do not have arm build up and running

    <robclark> mkum, I've seen similar issues building ffmpeg..

    <mkum> I am not very good with autoconf/autotools so hopefully once he has arm build he can help find what is happening

    <robclark> if you have the config.log I can have a quick look

    <mkum> I can share it today with you

    <gsachin> [ACTION] : Mandeep to discuss with Tom and come out with target and actions for achieving libjpegturbo packaging

: Mandeep to discuss with Tom and come out with target and actions for achieving libjpegturbo packaging

  • <mkum> i don't have it right now

    <robclark> k

    <gsachin> Mandeep lets take it up offline with Tom and Rob

    <mkum> ok

    <gsachin> next action Sachin to creete project in launchpad for instrumented player and system metrics application

    <gsachin> not done yet will do it this week

    <gsachin> next action Sachin to create wiki page for status reporting this week and take care from next weeks

    <gsachin> done

    <gsachin> [TOPIC] review team work

review team work

  • <gsachin> We still donot have status from everybody on wiki

    <gsachin> Kan , mandeep, Sudip can you make sure we have status before meeting

    <mkum> ok

    <sudipj> yes, I'll do

    <gsachin> moving on , we have gstomx zerocopy proposal from Benjig

    <gsachin> need reviewers

    <gsachin> I think Rob is already in loop of proposal

    <robclark> yup

    <benjiG> I got some comments from gstreamer-openmax mailing list

    <gsachin> ok good

    <benjiG> and from #gtsreamer

    <benjiG> I have fix typo errors and push new version of the sequence diagram on wiki

    <gsachin> [ACTION] Benjig to forward all feedback related mails to everybody in mm wg

Benjig to forward all feedback related mails to everybody in mm wg

gsachin to contact Scott on getting vendor specific omx/gstomx available in Linaro

  • <gsachin> any other volunteers for reviewing Benjig's gstomx proposal

    <robclark> I'll spend a bit more time thinking thru it.. I'm a bit wondering what happens when you have a tee in the pipeline..

    <gsachin> moving on Kurt has reported some problems with pulse audio work

    <robclark> like camera

    <krtaylor> gsachin, yes, sent you and asac email, basically we will not be able to enter a larger buffer state for lower power state

    <gsachin> ok Rob please send your comments to Benjig I will also try to find time to review Benjig's proposal

    <gsachin> [ACTION] : Rob,gsachin to review gstomx zerocopy proposal

: Rob,gsachin to review gstomx zerocopy proposal

  • <gsachin> ok moving on to Kurt

    <gsachin> Kurt first of all the issues you are facing with pulseaudio , please send a mail to everybody in mm wg

    <gsachin> also copy rob

    <krtaylor> ok, will do

    <krtaylor> if everybody is up for pulseaudio development ;-)

    <gsachin> [ACTION] Kurt to send mail regarding pulse audio problem to complete mm wg

Kurt to send mail regarding pulse audio problem to complete mm wg

  • <krtaylor> the buffer size can only be set at module load any changes to params duiring playback unloads alsa sink

    <krtaylor> I need to understand the process for changing the blueprint course mid cycle

    <gsachin> second thing is can you publish whatever results with cpu wake ups with static buffer size change

    <rkapoor_> asac may help us on this

    <krtaylor> gsachin, re: publish, will forward email sent upstream

    <gsachin> [ACTION] Kurt to publish experimentation results with pulse audio

Kurt to publish experimentation results with pulse audio

  • <gsachin> I have started looking at pulse audio code

    <gsachin> we will change the blueprint once we are convinced that nothing can be done

    <krtaylor> gsachin, we are convinced

    <krtaylor> gsachin, upstream agrees with me

    <gsachin> ok

    <krtaylor> there are other things that might be done

    <krtaylor> I need to understand who the stakeholders are for this blueprint

    <gsachin> Then please send the mail from upstream also summarize your new proposal

    <gsachin> I will discuss with Kiko and Asac

    <gsachin> [ACTION] : Kurt to send out mail regarding problems with pulse audio optimisation and also summarize new proposal

: Kurt to send out mail regarding problems with pulse audio optimisation and also summarize new proposal

  • <krtaylor> gsachin, thanks, thats it for me ;-)

    <gsachin> thanks Kurt

    <krtaylor> can we split those actions?

    <gsachin> yes it is possible

    <gsachin> Moving on to Rony

    <ronynandy> hi

    <gsachin> Rony : from your status it seems that splitting vp8 into mutlithreaded is a difficult topic

    <gsachin> so is it just that you need more time or we need some external help

    <gsachin> Rob is always there to help

    <ronynandy> as macroblock have interdependency b/n each other...

    <gsachin> yes

    <rkapoor_> rony: what is yr proposal

    <ronynandy> correct but I am going through the details...

    <robclark> ronynandy, I think the sane approach is to only multi-thread when there are multiple slices..

    <robclark> then I think only the loopfilter has a dependency

    <gsachin> ok

    <gsachin> but do you need any external help

    <gsachin> [ACTION] gsachin to discuss with Ronny to ease out situation on vp8 topic

gsachin to discuss with Ronny to ease out situation on vp8 topic

  • <ronynandy> ok

    <gsachin> I think we have overskipped time for meeting

    <gsachin> lets skip rest of things

    <gsachin> I have one thing to discuss

    <gsachin> Myself and Rajeev have scheduled some additional meetings

    <gsachin> I think timings are comfortable europe,china and India guys

    <gsachin> but not sure about US guys

    <rkapoor_> pl. raise voice not suitable

    <robclark> this time of day is ok for me.. but it is already a crowded timeslot for meetings

    <rkapoor_> mandeep ?

    <gsachin> Rob we scheduled some additional meeting with Mandeep and Kurt

    <gsachin> I know you are a busy man so didnot include you

    <mkum> i think i can make at 7am

    <rkapoor_> very good

    <robclark> ok, that is fine

    <mkum> moving forward are we going to have 2 meetings per week

    <gsachin> no I am talking about meeting that should be your Wednesday night

    <gsachin> Mandeep

    <mkum> my question is from next week onwards it that the only meeting or we still going to have tuesday meeting

    <gsachin> we are still going to have Tuesday meeting

    <krtaylor> gsachin, re: Wed evening, I am going to make it work

    <gsachin> what about Mandeep

    <gsachin> any issues

    <mkum> what time is it on wednesday evening?

    <gsachin> I think it should be Wednesady evening 9:30

    <gsachin> Kurt can you confirm

    <gsachin> that time I am quoting is correct

    <krtaylor> gsachin, that is correct

    <mkum> that is a bit late for me but if we can keep it short i am fine

    <gsachin> so it is half hour meeting

    <mkum> yes as long as we can wrap up in half an hour that will be fine

    <gsachin> Mandeep,Kurt lets have it at this time for next few weeks in the mean time let me try to find an alternative arrangement

    <gsachin> ok is there anyother thing any body wants to discuss

    <rkapoor_> Please update your blueprints as per current status

    <rkapoor_> we are towards the closure of jan

    <gsachin> also Please update weekly status on wiki page for status reporting

    <rkapoor_> please change status to DONE for completed tasks

    <rkapoor_> if u want to move to next month

    <rkapoor_> please discuss and re-schedule

    <gsachin> with that I end meeting

    <rkapoor_> thnaks

    <gsachin> thanks all

    <gsachin> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 14:21

People Present

  • gsachin
  • benjiG
  • ronynandy
  • vishalr
  • sudipj
  • krtaylor
  • mkum
  • kan_hu|2
  • robclark
  • asac
  • rkapoor_
  • kunal

Actions Recorded

  • : Mandeep,Kurt,Kan to verify access to git
  • RONY to try corkscrew
  • Benjig to try corkscrew
  • gsachin to follow up on getting linaro multimedia working group mailing list
  • : gsachin , rob,benjig to define gatekeepers for gstreamer packages
  • : gsachin,rob,benjamin to discuss with Asac on final strategy for patches
  • asac to work with platform leads on process to get packages for mm WG deliverables
  • : Mandeep to discuss with Tom and come out with target and actions for achieving libjpegturbo packaging
  • Benjig to forward all feedback related mails to everybody in mm wg
  • gsachin to contact Scott on getting vendor specific omx/gstomx available in Linaro
  • : Rob,gsachin to review gstomx zerocopy proposal
  • Kurt to send mail regarding pulse audio problem to complete mm wg
  • Kurt to publish experimentation results with pulse audio
  • : Kurt to send out mail regarding problems with pulse audio optimisation and also summarize new proposal
  • gsachin to discuss with Ronny to ease out situation on vp8 topic

Team Work - Summary

Team Work - Detailed

Benjamin Gaignard (benjiG)

  • push gst-openmax sequence diagram on wiki page
  • send mail to gstreamer-openmax dev list on sourceforge
  • fix compilation issues on omxil/component on desktop

Kan Hu (Kan)

  • Write neon asm on function quantize_bands
  • Check gcc issue with different result for same asm function.

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

  • Continued testing changes to buffer size and CPU wakes per second
  • Brought up Panda pulseaudio development environment, documented troubles with ubuntu-omap4-extras
  • Prototyped buffer growth and discussed problems with upstream community
  • Need to change blueprint direction away from buffers as power focus as change is not possible or beneficial
  • Working on new proposal for power saving optimizations for pulseaudio

Li Jian (jian)

Mandeep Kumar (mkum)

Rony Nandy (ronynandy)

VP8 Decoder[4 Day Working week]·

  • Meeting and discussion with existing VP8 team working on VP8 reference implementation for MFC.
  • Comparative analysis of FFMPEG and Google VP8 decoder.
    • 1)Review and comparison of code of both packages including documentation. 2)Building of Google VP8 decoder using it on x86.
  • Joined mailing list of ffmpeg upstream community and follow up with IS team to provide access to their mailing list.
  • GIT access related.
    • 1)Created a SSH key for using the server. 2)Studying the usage of the PKI and public and private key usage to use the account.
      • Facing issue to access the account.Following up with Linaro community to solve the problem and also with company sysadmin for the same.
      3)The Matter is BLOCKED as access to git server can’t be done due to Samsung Firwall.Followed up on for 4 hours on
      • Tuesday to solve firewall/proxy related problems as well as discussing and testing as to why some of the sites are not opening or not accessible.
  • Merged portions of Google and ffmpeg code with some patches so that I have a build of vp8 library with 720P decoding at 30+ fps. Will upstream once Linaro Git account is accessible. This is a very basic and rough version to meet Linaro upstreaming requirements.[BLOCKED]·
  • Working on the design for multithreading (SMP) of VP8 decoder. This seems to be a very big challenge.due to algorithm constraints of VP8. · Participated in meetings and discussion with other company Linaro members and Working group meetings.
  • Was on leave for 1 day on account of sick leave.
  • Working on bringing up the Panda board.
    • 1)Facing problems while using l-m-c for flashing the images due to some version mismatch. 2)Also don’t have HDMI cable so need to work using serial cable on console and hence the already installed Ubuntu image don’t work.

Sudip Jain (sudipj)

  • Uploaded the ssh key, able to log into git.linaro server
  • Currently, able to get system metrics from perf on sockets if both perf and metric-app runs on x86 ubuntu machine.
  • Facing issues when trying to run perf on the target, u8500 hwpacks not available for 11.05 daily build images. release not before alpha 3
  • Building 2.6.35 kernel with STE patches and enable perf events in the kernel config.

Vishal Raj (vraj)

  • Added dynamic loader into bellagio core to load components from system specific directory
  • developed and tested dynamic loader, Will send patch to upstream by this week

WorkingGroups/Middleware/Multimedia/Notes/2011-01-25 (last modified 2011-01-27 09:50:05)