- Created: Sachin Gupta
- DRI2 is an extension through which X11 clients are able to directly render to X drawables.The main user of this extension is an GLX/OpenGL or EGL/OpenGL ES implementation but it can be used with other X cleints as well.The DRI extension defines the protocol through which X clients direct access to X drawables for rendering directly. It does not enforce actual implementation. This spec describes different aspects of implementing DRI2 - kernel support for DRI2, Xorg support for DRI2 and Egl/Glx support for DRI2.
- As the DRI2 specification does not enforce implementation details of DRI2 implementations, This spec intends to evaluate various options for implementing DRI2.In addition to DRI2 implementation , it is also intended to look at use of 2d blitters, system dma , neon optimisation along with GPU's to provide efficient DRI2 implementation.
- Basic DRI2 support involving Xorg DRI2 and EXA modules
- EGL adaptation for X11
- DRI2 support with drm driver and libdrm
- Kernel mode setting (KMS) support.
- Kernel Memory Management (GEM/TTM/UMP/SHM)
- Usage of 2d blitters/system DMA with GPU
- Neon optimisation targets
- Rendering synchronisation(with vblank)
- Security related aspects (DRI2Authenticate, access to drm driver etc)
- Document DRI2 implementation guideline based after analyzing above design items
- Document DRI2 implementation difference between PCI and non PCI attached GPU's
- Develop an application that can reveal implementation details of DRI2 on a platform.
Inputs for Analysis and Implementation
- Mesa and gallium drivers
- drm drivers part of standard kernel
- kernel drivers and Xorg modules for MALI (available in opensource)
* Consolidated Xorg DRI framework for ARM GPUs
WorkingGroups/Middleware/Graphics/Specs/1105/DirectrenderingArmBasedGPUs (last modified 2011-01-11 18:33:26)