Monday 6th September 2010

This month's meetings

<<MonthCalendar: execution failed [Argument "anniversary" must be a boolean value, not "workinggroups/kernelconsolidation/meetingtemplate"] (see also the log)>>

Attendees

  • Loïc Minier
  • Arnd Bergmann
  • Dave Martin
  • Shajul Abraham
  • Jeremy Kerr
  • Nicolas Pitre
  • Grant Likely (joined mid-call)

Agenda

Action Items

  • Richard to talk to Michael Hope about runtime library opts
  • Richard to check with Gokul about posting his slides from the Sprint plenary
  • Richard to compile wiki page on the state of the OMAP4 BSPs next trees
  • Dave to review i.MX51 BSP
  • John to update DT u-boot patches
  • Loïc to work on kernel build infrastructure
  • Arnd to look into DT support for ARM boards - combined support in a single kernel with only device trees differing to support different ARM boards
  • Nicolas to finish SECCOMP support
  • Arnd to send patches to fix all io.h copies
  • Nico to send feedback to jk on the DT ARM patches
  • Matt to test Lorenzo's vexpress tree after asking Lorenzo for a sample config
  • Arnd to document BSP review on BSP/STE or so

  • Nicolas to start a wiki page on recommendations for BSP authors

Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • Loïc to check with Richard what's going on about these:
    • Richard to talk to Michael Hope about runtime library opts
    • Richard to check with Gokul about posting his slides from the Sprint plenary
    • Richard to compile wiki page on the state of the OMAP4 BSPs next trees
  • Dave to review i.MX51 BSP
  • John to update DT u-boot patches
  • Loïc to work on kernel build infrastructure
  • Arnd to look into DT support for ARM boards - combined support in a single kernel with only device trees differing to support different ARM boards
  • Loïc to pass Vexpress board to Arnd
  • Loïc to poke amitk and other stakeholders and defer remaining things for next cycle on security features blueprint
  • Arnd to send patches to fix all io.h copies
  • Nico to send feedback to jk on the DT ARM patches this week
  • Matt to test Lorenzo's vexpress tree after asking Lorenzo for a sample config
  • Loïc to send out his notes on release process
  • Matt to file bugs and try the ARM kernel for both bugs

Minutes

  • Loïc to check with Richard what's going on about these:
  • DONE
    • Richard to talk to Michael Hope about runtime library opts
    • Richard to check with Gokul about posting his slides from the Sprint plenary
    • Richard to compile wiki page on the state of the OMAP4 BSPs next trees
  • Dave to review i.MX51 BSP
  • INPROGRESS Dave started reviewing the BSP; needs to write a wiki page from it
    • Based on 2.6.31
    • Tried applying diff from .31 to .32
    • Has this huge 10 MB patch as a single commit when the kernel is moved to a new version; not clear how to move this forward
    • Covers much more than i.mx51
  • Arnd started reviewing the ST-E BSP; the upstream version of the kernel is a bit weird, mixup of .34 and .29; saw many warnings
    • Discussed with Linus Walleij who said this branch is dead, but only used for current products
    • About 10 times more code in the BSP than upstream
    • Contains random other stuff which is not part of their tree
    • ST-Ericsson will continue porting this tree to 2.6.35 internally, Arnd thinks that .36 would be a better target
    • Makes direct recommendation to Linus, but it's specific to their BSP
    • ACTION Arnd to document BSP review on BSP/STE or so

  • ACTION Nicolas to start a wiki page on recommendations for BSP authors
  • John to update DT u-boot patches
  • CO
  • Loïc to work on kernel build infrastructure
  • INPROGRESSS switched to Hudson (hudson-ci.org) and got a multi-way u-boot build going; worked fine and intends to deploy, mostly needs configs to go with the kernels now :-)

    • Frederick started looking at the problems of configs and config policies, and will be sending mail + wiki page to linaro-dev@; Nicolas can review and comment
  • Arnd to look into DT support for ARM boards - combined support in a single kernel with only device trees differing to support different ARM boards
  • CO
  • Loïc to pass Vexpress board to Arnd
  • DONE
  • Loïc to poke amitk and other stakeholders and defer remaining things for next cycle on security features blueprint
  • DONE only SECCOMP remains, Nicolas has it all in his head :-)

  • ACTION Nicolas to finish SECCOMP support
  • Arnd to send patches to fix all io.h copies
  • INPROGRESS thrown the old patches away and is working on a new version of the patches now; mostly fixing the code to use the correct pointer type all over the place, without awful casts; trying to fix code to use iomemory pointers
  • Nico to send feedback to jk on the DT ARM patches this week
  • INPROGRESS, Nicolas writing amendments to the patches and about to send them to Jeremy and Grant
  • Matt to test Lorenzo's vexpress tree after asking Lorenzo for a sample config
  • CO
  • Loïc to send out his notes on release process
  • DONE
  • Matt to file bugs and try the ARM kernel for both bugs
  • DONE
  • Arnd to file bug on SD card alignment
  • DONE
  • Arnd bought an Android tablet PC and looked at the kernel sources; this is for very old cores from Asian manufacturers
  • Arnd also worked a bit on BKL removal
  • Nicolas started work on the gdb vector page bug; patch he sent wasn't sufficient, since gdb is using /proc/*/mem as well; trying to fix this nicely
  • Shajul trying to boot devicetree on ST-E platform with an embedded platform; only has memory and cmdline in the devicetree and working on the clock
  • Dave has been mostly working on non-kernel stuff this week, such as building stuff with -Os
  • Jeremy worked on debug macros, rebasing them on a newer kernel; Russell requested a different strategy on merging them, should be ok for the beginning of the merge window
  • Jeremy will be away for about 3 weeks at the beginning of October
  • Jeremy thinks we should consider merging the common clock framework now, since discussion seems to have quieten down; should go via Russell's tree, his initial work to start with
  • Grant works on random platform-specific stuff, and notably OMAP; Grant is syncing with Richard on this work
  • Grant is also working on a lot of tools, compilers etc. for FPGA platforms notably

WorkingGroups/KernelArchived/Meetings/2010-09-06 (last modified 2013-01-14 19:32:07)