Parent


Attendees

  • Aditya Sharma (Samsung)
  • Bill Mills (TI)
  • Christian Bertin (ST)
  • George Grey (CEO, Linaro)
  • Kate Stewart (Product Management, Linaro)
  • Mark Hambleton (Broadcom)
  • Mark Orvek (VP Engineering, Linaro)
  • Nataraja K Muniyappa (LG Electronics)
  • Roger Teague (ARM)
  • Berny Goodheart (Huawei)

Guest Attendees

  • Fathi Boudra
  • Mark Brown
  • Vishal Bhoj
  • David Mandala

Regrets

  • David Rusling (CTO, Linaro)
  • Jon Masters (LEG Representative, Red Hat)
  • Patrick McCartee (LNG Representative, MontaVista)

  • Takehisa Katayama (Fujitsu)

Information

Minutes

Roadmap Reviews

Linaro Stable Kernel Roadmap Updates (Mark Brown)

  • LSK preview is currently based on Linux Kernel v3.10.
  • Current LSK includes big.LITTLE support, optimizations, and Android branch.
  • Release was agreed to be made post Greg announce, which happened 8/3. 3.10 is going to be the LTS kernel - should build for 32 and 64 bit.
  • Initial Hardware: VE TC2, and soon Panda, Highbank, ARMv8 Fast Model
  • Testing: reuse linux-linaro testing on LSK
  • Initial Software Platform: Android, Ubuntu and soon ARMv8 OpenEmbedded

  • Discussion:
    • Christian: Will 32 and 64 bit be supported in LSK? Mark O.: yes
    • Nataraja: is Android a 3.10 kernel? Mark B: Expectation is that 3.10 will be for Key Lime Pie. If that is not true, we will revisit. George: We're still not sure about final Google plans, but we will review when Google makes a definite statement. Mark O: Google has a 3.10 experimental branch. Google may have been waiting for next LTS announcement.
    • Bill: raised issues in email to TSC, concerns that LNG requirements not factored in, specifically highlighted were Real Time and NoHZ patch sets be included, as well as request for ARMv7 YOCTO as target for LNG. George: Current is a foundational/base build as Mark describes. 'Flavors' will be added after TSC review.
    • Mark B: NOHz is likely to go in base, RT will need to be an LNG flavor as it requires patches not compatible with base. LEG UEFI support will need to be considered as well.
    • George: TSC can take input from LEG and LNG steering committees. We should set up a wiki page for more detailed status of LSK, patches and pending requests. Mark B: This is already in progress.
    • Mark B. Raised that right now we need member review and input during this preview window. Plan is to use 13.08 as the preview (everything in place), and then put out 13.09 as final (official) release.
      • ACTION: Request to all members to take current preview (13.07) and provide feedback during this phase, and make sure it meets the specific requirements. Please let Mark Orvek know if this does not suffice.

    • Berny: What about power management? Currently LSK has ARM MP patches & IKS patches.

      • ACTION: Mark Hambleton to send out email with requirements for power management in next week to help with power management deep dive discussions. Other members please contribute via email list.

      • Mark B: For power management, what’s in 13.07 and in git is very close - please look at it today as part of member review.
    • Bill: Will follow up with LNG that it its formalized that either base and/or LNG flavor gets tested in Yocto. Request is to see flavors published usable as-is.
    • George: Want to see written list of testing on each flavor to be produced, as well as clarify the test cases and hardware we're testing on.
      • Mark B: This is already being worked on by Milosz, expect to be available with the preview release.
      • ACTION: Mark B. to publish pointer to list with preview release.

    • Roger: ARM is providing 10 TC2 boards, why are we not using all these?
      • George: Other teams and developers are also using for power management. We’ll be adding more boards to LSK testing over time. We should publish the testcases and hardware we are testing on.
    • Bill: How can we get clarity on platform support in LSK? 3.10 without needing backports. Concern about Keystone being in 3.12, backport to 3.10 and then include to LSK?
      • Mark O: This can happen officially 1) through TSC process, 2) LEG-SC (should they choose to use LSK), LNG-SC, or 3) through landing team work.
    • Aditya: What effort is still required to get Arndale working?
      • Mark B: Mainline for Arndale will work, but the upstreaming parts will still need to be added.
      • Aditya: when can developers start looking at it?
      • Mark B: Today - take 13.07 preview and git tree. Feedback enouraged.
    • Mark O.: Platforms will be treated as features. Factor will be if upstream work is in place already before being accepted into LSK.
    • George: So far support agreed by TSC is MP patch set on TC2.
    • ACTION: Mark B. to add platforms formally to wiki page, card and also release.

    • ACTION: Mark B to write up a blog on LSK, what it is, what it is not, how to use after preview review period is over.

    • Kate: Are the requirements that we circulated ok?
      • Roger: Having trouble seeing attachments.
      • ACTION: Kate to re-circulate the requirements document to the TSC, for review and highlighting of any missing comments. -DONE.

Builds and Baselines Review (Fathi Boudra, Vishal Bhoj)

  • link to Builds and Baselines with updates from LCE-13, pre-OPSCOM-8 updates. Next published version will have OPSCOM-8 updates.

    • Android:

      • Roger: Will the Android NDK move since we’ve missed the date?
        • Kate: Yes, after this is reviewed in OPSCOM-8. Color indicates its in planning.
      • Christian: Is Android built with latest toolchain? Is this the strategy?
        • Fathi: Yes
        • George: Is Toolchain updated monthly?
        • Mark H: Is Toolchain tested before release?
        • Fathi: Yes. 2 sets of testing, toolchain group release 2 weeks before, building Android is part of test, and then testing as part of putting release together.
      • Mark H: Are there tests to check JNI
        • Vishal: Yes, JNI testing included.
    • Open Embedded/Yocto:

      • Currently openJDK builds being delivered on Yocto
      • Bill: What are plans to move OpenJDK to enterprise distro? LEG not that interested in OE.
        • Fathi: card-633 to cover Ubuntu, and there’s another for Fedora. We are dependent on distributions to add support at this stage.
      • Roger: Date of ARMv8 porting doesn’t look reasonable?
        • George: Discussion of OpenJDK, Virtualization, Toolchain, LAVA - CI testing being moved from models to actual hardware are underway. One of the outstanding action out of member meeting, identify priority order going to do work on 64-bit hardware when we have it.
    • Fedora:

      • Arndale & Highbank this cycle. ARMv8 coming.

    • Ubuntu':

      • Highbank now booting, last issue fixed.
      • CARD-633 - Ubuntu ARM64.
    • Baselines:

      • Toolchain CI is happening, pre-build toolchain binaries.
      • CARD-722 - requested by HiSilicon. Debian - ARM64 baseline coming.

      • Team is working on tooling to be more distro agnostic.
      • Roger: asking for clarification on terms used in Toolchain CI loop CARD.
        • ACTION: Kate and Fathi clarification in card on use of toolchain vs compiler terms

    • Build Reviews::

      • Key for Hardware per build:
        • Grey - EOL and Deprecated platform
        • Normal Font - standard platform
        • Bold - is agreed on reference platform

        • Red - is member confidential platform
      • Roger: What platform is model referred to supporting? ( Base Model - ARM sells, Foundation Model - freebee )
        • Fathi: In practice we use foundation model and base model.
        • ACTION: Fathi : clarify Model term in summary of builds. (Base and Foundation Models)

      • Aditya wants to add LSK to Arndale.
        • ACTION: Mark B: to have offline discussion with Aditya to discuss the most effective manner.

      • At next face to face, TSC needs to establish a better policy on adding hardware platforms. Core members to specify boards, club members to specify boards based on level of upstream support. Goal to be fair across members.
        • ACTION: Dave/Kate add to agenda.

        • Need to be clearer on why some builds support on some platforms, and others not?
      • Roger: What about Panda on Android? Want to make sure Android is verified on a non TC2 platform. Panda for now, eventually beagle bone black?
        • Fathi: BBB isn’t supported by Android. Maybe Arndale instead?
        • ACTION: Fathi/Vishal to propose non TC2 solution.

      • Roger: Early vs. Late versions of hardware may need to be distinguished on the hardware lists. There is big difference as to the results and capabilities based on revision. Looking to see what is the platform being tested. TC2, A9, etc. date used, any updates of hardware.
        • George: Agrees we need more details.
        • ACTION: Fathi/Dave M: More details on what we are actually testing for hardware

      • Mark H. : Single zImage being tested on platforms, need to test on vanilla A9.
        • Mark B.: Wasn’t aware of issue. Agree it good to get coverage for big.LITTLE other than action list.
    • ACTION: TSC Members requested to take further questions to mailing list.


AOB

  • moving 8/21 meeting 1 week later? Conflict with ARM Partner Meeting
    • From verbal discussion seemed general agreement was ok to move meeting to 8/28
      • ACTION: Kate to move meeting.

    • Roger Teague volunteered to coordinate a social event for those TSC members attending APM for one evening.
      • ACTION: TSC Members attending APM, please send email to Roger if you are interested in getting together for an informal event.

  • Connect planning
    • Member participation "call for topics" and summits of interest at LCU
      • ACTION: TSC Members to mail to Dave & Kate topic of interest and any ideas for summits by 8/14.

    • codes for registration.
      • Please contact your member services representative or Kate if you don't have your registration codes. Early registration would be appreciated.
    • demos timing
      • We're looking at a Wednesday evening demo session, and inviting TechCon to attend. If members want to have own demos included please email Dave and Kate

      • ACTION: TSC Members to mail Dave and Kate by 8/28 if they want to participate in providing demos.

  • LAVA documentation rework needs tech writer - any member able to help? (CARD-753)
    • ACTION: TSC Members to mail Kate if they have resources that can help.

TSC/2013-08-07 (last modified 2013-08-08 01:06:48)