Parent


Attendees

  • David Rusling (Linaro)
  • Kiko (Linaro)
  • Roger Teague (ARM)
  • Paul McKenney (IBM)

  • Vijay Pasam (TI)
  • Andrea Gallo (ST-Ericsson)
  • Sree Kumar (Samsung)
  • Yves Vandervennet (Freescale)

Information

Guest Participants

Agenda

  • Previous actions
  • Recommendations Process (David)
    • Agree process (see below)
    • Agree list and owners
      • Hardfloat ABI - David and Paul
      • SMP - David
      • TBD
  • Technical discussions (David)
    • Agree list and dates
      • Benchmarking - 2 Feb 2011
      • UEFI
      • Power Management
      • Device Tree
      • Multimedia
      • TBD
  • Integrating TSC into the sprint / developer summit (David)
  • License Requests
  • AOB

Minutes

  • Thematic Calls
    • Benchmarking Linux in member companies (2010-02-02)
      • Describe from each member what benchmarking is being done for Linux and Android platforms
      • Kiko: collect slides from members?
      • Vijay: what's the benchmarking plan for testing individual boards for our releases?
      • Andrea: similar to a comment in test & validation in Member talk: ensure the code delivered is as well tested individually; in this case ensure that benchmarking has been done at least as well is done within the company

      • Roger: can arrange for two people to come in and present 10-minute section
      • Slides to be publically shared
      • ACTION: 3 slides from each member by 2010-01-31
        • Roger: OK
        • Andrea: OK
        • Yves: Not sure, will check who can do it internally
        • Vijay: OK
        • Paul, Sree: absent, ACTION: David to contact Paul and Sree to let them know of commitment
    • UEFI and Boot Interfaces (2010-02-16)
      • Would members have input? Vijay: TI have not done much research; would be interested.
      • Roger: happy to bring somebody in
      • ACTION: Roger to provide contact and presentation on UEFI work internally by 2010-02-14
      • ACTION: Grant to provide technical considerations on UEFI by 2010-02-14
      • ACTION: TSC to invite UEFI experts within company for call
    • Power Management (2010-03-02)
      • ACTION: Roger to talk to Bobby and invite him to call
      • ACTION: Amit, Bobby to provide slides by 2010-02-28
    • Next topic candidates: Device Tree, Multimedia, Graphics, decide in Bangalore
    • Proposals welcome!
  • Recommendations
    • Process sounds okay
    • Needs a skeleton for a document
    • Publishing and broadcasting them afterwards
    • Roger: process should detail /who writes these/
    • Roger: describe lifecycle -- status through proposals and reviews
    • Roger: database of rejected recommendations
    • Kiko: at least one author needs to be an assignee and WG member
    • Proposals?
      • TSC members or WG engineers are welcome to propose
    • Kiko: can these be plaintext?
    • ACTION: Joey and David to document the process further
    • Schedule of recommendations
    • Let´s dry-run this on an SMP recommendation
      • SWP emulation
      • Instrumentation for SWP turned on
      • gcc-4.6 or gcc-4.5-linaro with the right atomics
      • benchmarking required
      • find somebody from TCWG to coauthor
        • Michael Hope
        • Dave Martin
        • Aneesh V.
    • What license for the document?
    • Find out how long it will take
    • Produce suggested list for Recommendations
  • More TSC involvement in sprints and summits
    • Tend to only work together and see little of what's going on
    • Proposal to extend TSC dates to the week of the event
    • Andrea, Roger: 5 days is probably too much 4 times a year; 3 to 3.5 more reasonable
    • Roger: important to still meet as a team; possibly 1-1.5 days
    • Kiko: the balance this time around was good, a bit more participation would help
    • ACTION: Kiko, David to evaluate schedule for May 9th UDS

Actions

Number

Action

Owner

State

2011-01-19:

3 slides from each member by 2010-01-31

TSC members

2011-01-19:

Roger to provide contact and presentation on UEFI work internally by 2010-02-14

Roger Teague

2011-01-19:

Grant to provide technical considerations on UEFI by 2010-02-14

Grant

2011-01-19:

TSC to invite UEFI experts within company for call

TSC members

2011-01-19:

Roger to talk to Bobby and invite him to call

Roger Teague

Done

2011-01-19:

Amit, Bobby to provide slides by 2010-02-28

2011-01-19:

Joey and David to document the process further

David Rusling, Joey Stanford

2011-01-19:

Kiko, David to evaluate schedule for May 9th UDS

Kiko, David

Next Meeting

  • 2nd February 2011


Recommendation Process

  • Use an RFC like methodology (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments)

    • Each recommendation to be numbered
    • Wiki (say wiki.linaro.org/TSC/Recommendations)
  • Propose a position to the TSC (via the Office of CTO, Working Group, member input
    • Initially a white paper or internal wiki page
    • Proposal should contain:
      • Decision (for example, We believe that ARM based Linux distributions should be built using the Hard-float ABI and Thumb 2)

      • Rationale for the decision (for example, improved performance, application store compatibility)

      • Supporting evidence (for example, benchmarks)
  • Agree in the TSC and minute the discussion
  • Publish the recommendation
  • Template - see LinaroTRTemplate.pdf

TSC/2011-01-19 (last modified 2011-01-24 11:21:57)