Attendees

  • David Rusling (Linaro)
  • Kiko (Linaro)
  • Roger Teague (ARM)
  • Paul McKenney (IBM)

  • Gokul Subramaniam (TI)
  • Andrea Gallo (ST-Ericsson)
  • Rob Herring (Freescale)
  • Sree Kumar (Samsung)

Agenda

  • Formally agree minutes from last meeting
  • Agree outstanding license requests
  • Agree combined Linaro requirements
  • Formally agree to open requirements
  • Agree plan (or plan for a plan) for
    • Refining requirements
    • Reviewing work of existing groups for next cycle(s)
    • Creating new working groups

Next Meeting

18th August 2010, Teleconference

Meeting Minutes

Actions

Number

Action

Owner

1

Make public the agreed set of combined requirements

David (Done)

2

Invite WG leads to review and discuss relevent sections of requirements in next two TSC meetings

David (Ongoing)

3

Invite members of two SIGs - Graphics and Multimedia - aim for input to September TSC

David (Done)

4

Take non-blessed license approvals to the board

David (Done)

5

Discuss patch lifetime proposal with Nico and Loic

Paul (Done)

6

Provide names for an Android special interest group to David

All

7

Provide a list of 10.11 requirements and review these against original 10.11 requirements and the current working set of requirements

Kiko

ACTION: David Rusling to take the last two requests to the Board.

  • Rob Herring leaving Freescale. This is a shame, we all appreciate his efforts and wish him well in the future.
  • Agree combined Linaro requirements. These are listed below the first horizontal line in TSC/Requirements. We agreed that these are a good alpha version and that we should work towards a beta (release candidate) version in time for the Milan meeting w/b 13th September.

    • There will be a good list of 10.11 deliverables so that we can validate against this list.

ACTION: Kiko: produce a list of 10.11 deliverables and set up a review to compare these against the requirements set.

  • Propose making working requirements public. Question raised about distributions -- need to settle distribution question before we make public any requirements tied directly to distributions.
    • Discussion about requirements that are related to existing distro, example being Android's suspend blockers -- should such a requirement mention "Android"? Key point is that any Linaro requirements must benefit the ARM/Linux community at large, not just some particular distro.
    • AGREED: make requirement page public, with the exception of the "Distributions" section pending discussion of what Linaro should be doing with various distributions. No objections, so David Rusling to move as appropriate.

  • Agree plan for plan.
    • Propose having review discussions on requirements with working groups. Contact working-group leads with requirements list, request comments. Hold review meetings with individual working groups presenting to TSC, permitting 45 minutes for each working group. Outside experts may be brought in, either in the meeting, but preferably beforehand.
    • New working groups: (1) Graphics (2) Multimedia. Please send suggestions for directions and work items. Creating a strawman blueprint for subtopics (e.g., X) would be very helpful. Focus on requirements, not design or implementation. Send contact persons to David Rusling.
      • From Andrea of ST Ericsson: Sachin Gupta (of ST Ericsson), Riccardo Salveti (of Canonical). Common graphics capability that can take GPU/accelerator plugins for individual SoCs. Move to common architecture for graphics subsystem.

ACTION: Kiko to contact Riccardo.

  • Review actions from prior meeting TSC/2010-07-22

    1. SoC Members to review Image Builder plans to assess fit with their infrastructure, and whether they could offer image building suites to Linaro. Still pending.
    2. Establish a Toolchain User Group comprising individuals from SoC Members and ARM who can use and validate the Linaro gcc toolchain. Still pending. Point raised about delivery.
    3. Create a GIT tree inside Linaro to enable easy access to ST-E BSP packages. Process established, actual tree TBD: https://wiki.linaro.org/Internal/Process/hosting-git-repo

    4. Working Groups to define gating policy for the ARM-next git repository and contributing to upstream staging trees Pending, though many individuals have upstream access already.
      • Proposal: Patch lifetime must be specified when patch is accepted into ARM-next, 6 months is a good value in most cases. Run this proposal by working groups. ACTION: Paul to run this proposal by Nico and Loic.

    5. Establish a “2x2” hardware/OS enablement plan for 10.11. We will not take this approach. Alternative plans being formulated. [Management team]
    6. Create base requirements set for 10.11 release based on this meeting’s input Gokul supplied issues to clarify (e.g., kernel version), [Kiko to provide list.]. This is the basis of the working set of requirements TSC/Requirements.

    7. Create 2 projects and Blueprints around ARM based codec support and Neon Optimization support, with a view tocreating a Middleware WG. Addressed by call for Graphics/Multimedia assistance. Roger. This now becomes provide a candidate to support the Graphics SIG.
    8. Identify candidates to form an Android “special interest group” Provide names to David Rusling. (Tom Gall for IBM.)
    9. Assess how Linaro can reduce the time between ARM hardware IP launch and full software support. Roger has proposal, need one of Andrea, Gokul, Rob, or Sree to step up to take leadership. For example, ARM is ready with landing team for given specific platform.
    10. Document bug reporting process in wiki. Pending (Stephen on holiday).
    11. Assess what aspects of X acceleration can be carved out as a Linaro Project initiative. Subsumed by graphics working group.
    12. From Gokul:
      • ARM to drive performance opt
      • Additional Q/A inputs [Dave/Kiko]
      • Oprofile SMP ARM performance counters.
      • ARM availability of additional user-space tools (e.g., from Android).
      • Subsumed under review of 10.11 deliverables.
  • If you need invitation letter for visa to Italy for Milan TSC meeting, please contact Andrea. Andrea must have this information by Friday August 6th.

Terminology

Special Interest Group (SIG). An ad hoc group of member company individuals charged with investigating an area of interest to those member companies. Such a group might be formed in order to investigate particular technical challenges. Any code outputs should be regarded as proof of concept, unless we're extremely lucky. Mostly, though, they will create requirements that will be integrated into the Linaro release cycles. One usage example would be as an investigation phase before setting up an official working group. Normal Linaro engineering practices will apply.

TSC/2010-08-04 (last modified 2010-08-13 10:00:24)