Time/Place

  • Place: #linaro-meeting on irc.freenode.net

  • Time: Wednesday at 1300 UTC

Agenda

Standing Agenda

Agenda Additions

(add your agenda item here; mark the agenda item with your (nick), so we know who asked for this)

Actions from Last week

  • [ACTION]: fgu to investigate auto probing of usb ethernet

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • [ACTION] asac to sort out packaging training on friday and announce it himself or through tgall

  • [ACTION] All to add a first line summary to their status reports, prefixed with "[Summary]"

  • [ACTION] asac and JesseBarker to come up with new agenda proposal

  • [ACTION] kunal and fgu to look at initrd support

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to implement warning when not using --hwpack in l-m-c

  • [ACTION] fgu to try unity with GLES2 stack from ppa:asac/armel1

  • [ACTION] vishalr to try to compile mm codecs with linaro toolchain

  • [ACTION] alf to help out kunal pushing image creation tools to PPA

Minutes

Meeting started at 13:05. The chair is asac.

[TOPIC] review actions from last meeting

  • <asac> i think there was one ... that wasnt done due to my leave:

  • <alf_> https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-10-13

  • [ACTION] asac and JesseBarker to flush agenda with new topics

  • <JesseBarker> There was one for the new agenda proposal

  • [ACTION]: fgu to investigate auto probing of usb ethernet

  • <fgu> no time to look at it last week.

  • <asac> fgu: auto probing is: auto probing of module?

  • <fgu> just to get the g_ether

  • <fgu> when using usb cable automatically...

  • <asac> ok... lets carry forward.

  • [ACTION] fgu to investigate auto probing of usb ethernet

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • <asac> can we get that done?

  • <JamieBennett> asac: asked cody to disable the builds but they reappeared, I'll get back on to him. As for the dir's I don't have permission to move them

  • <asac> JamieBennett: yeah. that needs a RT and CC sciri i guess

  • <asac> ok ... not sure if we should carry that forward. not really a user platform item anyway

  • <JamieBennett> asac: leave it with me

  • <asac> JamieBennett: right. you had that action before ;)

  • <asac> i will leave it there for now

  • <JamieBennett> asac: OK

  • [ACTION] asac to sort out packaging training on friday and announce it himself or through tgall -> maybe we can do that during UDS ...otherwise afterwards i guess

  • <asac> JamieBennett: do you want to do a packaging training session at UDS? ;)

  • <asac> or maybe see if dholbach or persia are planning something like that?

  • <asac> let me ping them now if they are online

  • <JamieBennett> asac: good idea

  • <asac> ok so far nothing is scheduled.

  • <JamieBennett> asac: all yours ;)

  • <asac> i hate actions ;)

  • [ACTION] asac to get packaging training session going during UDS

  • kunal and fgu to look at initrd support
  • <asac> thats done i guess?

  • <kunal> no asac

  • <kunal> we have to test that

  • <kunal> fgu provided me the script

  • <asac> ok. but the initrd kernel support is now enabled in linaro kernels?

  • <fgu> the mkimage command is there, yes

  • <fgu> but we were missing an address

  • <fgu> michael sent us a proposed one

  • <asac> ok cool

  • <fgu> so I have modified the script, but not tested it for now

  • [ACTION] fgu to test the initrd l-m-c changes and get those landed before EOW

  • <asac> would be really good to have this as whatever is in end of this week will be in linaro 10.11 release

  • <asac> thanks

  • <fgu> yes, agree

  • [ACTION] fgu to try unity with GLES2 stack from ppa:asac/armel1

  • <asac> i think this needs to be carried forward

  • <fgu> yes, unity without mali drivers....a simple blank screen today

  • <asac> fgu: but you used the armel1 unity?

  • <fgu> tried xfce etc, but we have today an issue with the touchscreen

  • <fgu> I have added it yes

  • <fgu> I wanted also to get the touchscreen on href working, but today it's possible to get it only with a meego uboot....need to check why.

  • <kiko> that's weird

  • <asac> fgu: ok. check with alf to see if the packages you have installed are the right ones for unity + gles 2

  • <fgu> ok

  • <asac> fgu: hmm. this touchscreen issue persists for a while now, right?

  • <asac> or was that resolved in between and now regressed?

  • <fgu> I have never succeeded to use it..I though it was a misconfig in the kernel + wrong code. but Sudip told me to test the meego uboot.

  • <fgu> then the linaro kernel + touchscreen was ok.

  • <sudipj_> touch screen works with meego uboot + linaro kernel

  • <fgu> As I was also testing the linaro-next uboot....it was not possible to do both ;o)

  • <asac> ok so it was sudip who had this issue for a while

  • <sudipj_> meego uboot is an older release than ours

  • <sudipj_> so need to check the differences

  • <fgu> yes, but the screen config must be possible to adapt.

  • <asac> ok ...

  • <fgu> to linaro-next uboot from jcrigby.

  • [ACTION] fgu and sudipj_ to investigate linaro uboot touchscreen breakage on href8500 ... talk to jcrigby and michael brandt

  • <asac> i assumed this was already fixed when i left for vac. if it isnt we should really nail this down asap. we dont have much time to fix things before release and having a working touchscreen with our uboot would be great achievement ;)

  • [ACTION] vishalr to try to compile mm codecs with linaro toolchain

  • <asac> vishalr: how did that go?

  • <vishalr> actually i started working on zero memcpy

  • <vishalr> so may be try this after that

  • <asac> vishalr: you can try in parallel maybe? ;)

  • <vishalr> ok

  • <vishalr> i will try that

  • <vishalr> actually i stuck in some where

  • <vishalr> while compiling in linaro env

  • <asac> its not high prio, but just getting the mm source code and building it on linaro sounds easy enough to just try

  • <asac> with some luck there are no issues and all goes smooth

  • <asac> thanks vishalr

  • [DONE] alf to help out kunal pushing image creation tools to PPA

  • <kunal> thanks to alf

  • <asac> i saw progress on this in mailbox. whats the status?

  • <kunal> i pushed mic2 into ppa

  • <kunal> and git2source, kick start file on bzr

  • <kunal> all links are updated on https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/Heads/Meego/ImageBuilding

  • <asac> kunal: so with the tools in our "tools" ppa we can now produce meego images and produce source rpms for our kernels?

  • <kunal> yes

  • <asac> awesome ... didnt see that apage

  • <asac> lets talk about this more when we get to meego status

  • <alf_> asac: we should maybe put mic2 into universe

  • <alf_> and some other meego related tools (they are in debian already)

  • <asac> alf_: agreed. wonder if we need a blueprint for meego tools packaging or something

  • <asac> alf_: if they are in debian they should automatically come to us in natty cycle

  • <asac> for maverick we cannot put anything in universe anymore unfortunately

  • <kiko> asac, we can't? oh, you mean universe SRUs?

  • <asac> kiko: technically we can, but completely NEW package are usually not let in

  • <asac> also they would end up in the -updates pocket and not the main pocket

  • <asac> i think its good enough for this cycle to have the meego tools in tools ppa

  • <kiko> yes, understood

  • <kiko> agreed

  • <asac> ok lets skip the spec topic. its mostly me and alf having to do the usual cleanup and the chart stopped drawing after 10.10 anyway ;)

  • [ACTION] alf and asac to get work items to zero before UDS

[TOPIC] Image status (kunal)

  • <kunal> this week, no issues as such all images were built

  • <kunal> hwpacks also were fine

  • <fgu> did you check netbook-efl image also ?

  • <asac> efl broken?

  • <kunal> headless

  • <fgu> no, just some issue with my 4gb card at the moment...so just asking..

  • <kunal> not booted efl but build is fine

  • <fgu> ok.

  • <asac> yeah. i think weekly testing organized by JamieBennett does the checking whether an image works or not

  • <JamieBennett> asac: can I add that in the unlikely event someone has a pandaboard, testing the OMAP4 image would be awesome

  • <asac> heh

[TOPIC] ST-E BSP update (fgu)

  • <fgu> as I said: uboot meego + touchscreen test with xfce

  • <fgu> for BSP & Mali drivers, no progress this week.

  • <asac> ok

  • <asac> so from what i understand the image creation tools are good to go for release (minus initrd support=

  • <fgu> yes

  • <asac> and we are blocked on fully acceleration due to mali (blocked licensing wise) and multimedia codecs

  • <fgu> exact

  • <asac> (also blocked due to licensing issues)

  • <fgu> HDMI would also be great...but no time to work on this.

  • [ACTION] asac to follow up with scottb on status of multimedia codec re-distribution discussion

  • <asac> fgu: whats the problem on HDMI?

  • <asac> just no driver?

  • <fgu> no driver in linaro

  • <asac> or just "no driver ported to .34" ?

  • <fgu> yep

  • <fgu> no driver ported to .34

  • <asac> fgu: do you know whether this has some kind of priority?

  • <fgu> Linus would prefer us to avoid any new dev on .34

  • <fgu> you remember

  • <asac> kk... i agree there

  • <asac> any update on the .36 port?

  • <fgu> so hdmi has to be there, but for the next release I think.

  • <asac> ok. lets talk offline about this

  • <fgu> some internal actions are on-going, including a try to get a .35 also.

  • <fgu> and a proper .36 of course.

  • <asac> ok

  • <asac> let skip the board bringup topic which was ment to be dropped from agenda as its often duplication of the BSP update ...

[TOPIC] Graphics Update (jazh)

  • <asac> (i left jesse out here, who can maybe have a word or two about the planning in a bit)

  • <jazh> for unity/mutter, the segfault when run unity stand alone or run it as mutter plugin has been fixed for mesa

  • <jazh> and patch still works with sgx driver

  • <asac> yay. step by step we are getting closer ;) ... so unity works with sgx now and mesa ... imx51 and mali are next ;)?

  • <alf_> sgx = omap4

  • <jazh> yes, there is still some problem for imx51 under investigation

  • <asac> alf_: right. i might have forgotten, but did anyone manage to test the meego sgx drivers for omap3 ... last i remember was that we lacked the matching kernel patch

  • <alf_> ricardo has an action to do that (but we shouldn't hope for much)

  • <alf_> (see gfx wg notes for this Monday)

  • <asac> we shouldnt hope that the drivers are good or that he has time to try?

  • <asac> rsalveti: hey;)

  • <asac> alf_: thanks

  • <alf_> no that the driver will work

  • <asac> ok thanks jazh ... so next on graphics is all the planning for UDS/LDS ...

  • <asac> anything you want to report on that JesseBarker ?

  • <asac> besides the fact that we have to do a couple of hours phone call today to flash things out and get it on schedule ;)?

  • <rsalveti> asac: hey

  • <JesseBarker> Mostly that the call for drafters for graphics topics has had no responses as yet.

  • <JesseBarker> I suppose we will ending up making assignments after our call.

  • <asac> hmm. ok. yes we will dot hat

  • <asac> rsalveti: how many specs do you have for next cycle?

  • <asac> rsalveti: can you help out running a graphics session?

  • <JesseBarker> I've also been doing a bit of advance thinking about OpenCL topics for later.

  • <asac> more topics? ;)

  • <rsalveti> asac: not much, probably :-)

  • <asac> rsalveti: ok great. so "not much" sessions -> probably can help out :-P

  • <rsalveti> asac: I don't expect the meego drivers to work because it's made just for n900

  • <rsalveti> even the public ti one has 3 different drivers at the same package

  • <rsalveti> each one for one omap 3 hardware

  • <jazh> JesseBarker: so we will aalso adding opencl support in next cycle?

  • <rsalveti> and the kernel driver is quite different

  • <JesseBarker> jazh: not definite, but I see OpenCL building up steam in general, and I think we should be ready.

  • <JesseBarker> I have some time scheduled with our (ARM) OpenCL guru to see what makes sense.

  • <jazh> JesseBarker: ok, thanks

  • <asac> JesseBarker: ok. if we want to have it in the list, we can probably make it a "Research Topic" for this cycle

  • <JesseBarker> asac: sounds good

  • <asac> but lets first try to find a few more engineers on the streets :-P

  • <JesseBarker> agreed :)

[TOPIC] Multimedia enablement update (Sachin/vraj)

  • <asac> i think we mostly covered this above.... but still

  • <vishalr> at presnet during video playback of 720 p file, cpuy load is 35 %

  • <vishalr> and x side also cpu load is 35 %

  • <asac> so 70%?

  • <vishalr> during playback, ther is no frame skipping

  • <vishalr> yes

  • <asac> what about 1080p?

  • <vishalr> because at present it uses memcpy

  • <vishalr> working on zero copy solution

  • <vishalr> which will fix this cpu load issue

  • <vishalr> 1080p is not supported by mpeg-4 decoder

  • <alf_> are we 100% positive that this is because of memcpy?

  • <vishalr> it requires tweaking in mm package in order to do 1080p playback

  • <alf_> (the high load?)

  • <vishalr> yes

  • <gsachin> yes as previously with zerocopy solution it was aroung 10%

  • <vishalr> 1080p is not officially supported by ste hw mpeg-4 decoder

  • <vishalr> yes

  • <asac> hmm

  • <asac> i was told that 720p is quite unexciting nowadays

  • <asac> what tweakage would this require in mm package?

  • <vishalr> some changes in mm package

  • <asac> (unexciting == for demo purposes)

  • <vishalr> ok, then we will into 1080 p once again

  • <asac> vishalr: ok. can you go back and figure what needs to be done to get 1080p out of your codec?

  • <vishalr> if we make video playback workable with 1080p

  • [ACTION] vishalr to investigate what it takes to get 1080p mpeg4

  • <asac> so on zero copy we have a spec for this UDS ....

  • <asac> is there anything you want to do before that on this topic?

  • <gsachin> we are trying to get zero copy to work

  • <asac> i know that benjiG suggested a good solutoin that is more work intensive

  • <asac> but that you know a hacky solution

  • <gsachin> as this is our way of doing zero copy

  • <gsachin> I will put in the specs what we are doing

  • <asac> ok thanks

  • <gsachin> and then we can discuss with other guys if there is any other better way

  • <gsachin> we have dwelt quiet alot on this inside STE and we could not find any other solution

  • [ACTION] gsachin to document current/hacky zero copy apporach in multimedia spec

  • <benjiG> gsachin: if you can put your spec before next week, I can discust them face to face with rob clark

  • <asac> yes, please put in spec this week

  • <gsachin> ok

  • <asac> so we can talk about it at UDS and CELF

  • <gsachin> ok I will do that

  • <asac> benjiG: maybe we should try to setup a conf call with rob and you ;)

  • <asac> (instead of a zero copy session)

  • <benjiG> I will see him next week at CELF

  • <asac> i know

  • <asac> i mean you and rob on one side and gsaching and others on the other side of the line

[TOPIC] Linaro-handset-plasma (ian_brasil/rbelem)

  • <asac> rbelem: hi ... did you manage to do some size reductions for us ;)?

  • <rbelem> hi asac

  • <asac> rbelem: we still have a day or two to drop some stuff from the seed ;)

  • <rbelem> asac, not yet, i could not work on that these days

  • <asac> ok see you in orlando then ;)

  • <rbelem> asac, great, let's do it today at least tomorrow then

  • <rbelem> asac, i will ping ScottK

[TOPIC] Meego status update (kunal)

  • <kunal> rpms builds for kernel and ubooot in arm chroot with lianro toolchain

  • <kunal> image creation using kick start file

  • <kunal> all are documented in https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/Heads/Meego/ImageBuilding

  • <kunal> tools are also uploaded

  • <kunal> image creation picks kernel and uboot rpm locally

  • <asac> kunal: did you find out how to setup a chroot to build the kernel rpm in?

  • <kunal> no i used maverick arm chroot

  • <kunal> using the rpmbuild tool

  • <asac> kunal: hmm. so we can build the kernel rpm using the linaro arm chroot?

  • <kunal> already available

  • <kunal> yes

  • <asac> wow

  • <asac> ok

  • <kunal> while building give it option of armv7

  • <asac> kunal: so for kernel and uboot that probably works. can you see how we can build something that requires a meego base system like an application?

  • <asac> still wonder if we need a full OBS for that

  • <asac> or if we get away with an even cheaper way

  • <kunal> there is other utillity also

  • <kunal> build provided by meego

  • <kunal> that downloads the rpms from meego repo and create chrroot

  • <asac> can you document that ;)?

  • <asac> on the imagebuilding page somewhere?

  • <kunal> problem with that is it it gives error after download

  • <asac> and also package that tool and put in tools ppa maybe?

  • <kunal> rpm verify failed

  • <asac> hmm

  • <asac> kunal: maybe thats because we need a gpg key in keyring or something?

  • <kunal> so dropped that and used rpmbuild

  • <kunal> i'll try again with gpg key may that solve the issue

  • <kunal> for standalone packages rpm build is fien

  • <asac> lets look at that verification error after meeting. Stskeeps in #linaro is a meego guy who might also have ideas

  • <kunal> ok

  • <asac> kunal: next we should talk about where we maintain the .spec files for the kernels that then get auto build by git2source.sh etc.

  • <asac> but lets do that not in this meetng too

  • <kunal> ok

  • <asac> basically goal is that we have one command that builds all the kernel flavours we have in linaro in rpm format

  • <asac> how does that feel ;)?

  • <kunal> diifferent spec for all ?

  • [ACTION] asac and kunal to work on way to autobuild all linao kernel flavours daily

  • <asac> once we know that we go to james_w and scottb and get this deployed as linaro official infrastructure and then we have first step to meego delivery ;)

[TOPIC] LDS (asac)

  • <asac> so LDS is coming and while not everyone can join due to various reasons (visa etc.) ... everyone should be excited about it ;)

  • <asac> for those not coming next time you will be there i am sure

  • <asac> so i talked to a bunch of you about the LDS sessions and the planning (and yes, we are late, but this is the first time we do it in such scale for linaro)

  • <asac> if there are quesitons about that still talk to me tomorrow

  • <james_w> do you have a session at LDS on Meego?

  • <asac> james_w: no

  • <asac> james_w: kunal cannot come

  • <asac> i can make a session, but i think we will just do a spec

  • <james_w> ok

  • <asac> so anyway ... what i want to propose is that we can meet sunday night at 8:30 in the hotel lobby

  • <james_w> I won't include it on the Infrastructure side either

  • <asac> all userplatformers that come there gets a free beer or something else from me ;)

  • <jazh> great, cheers;)

  • <asac> we have some canonical internal meeting before, but i hope i wont be late :)

  • <asac> besides meeting face to face i would like to talk a bit about LDS and schedule and do some induction before all this starts :-P

  • <JesseBarker> I don't get in until closer to 10 :-(

  • <asac> JesseBarker: lesson learned ;)

  • <asac> never arrive as late as possible because there is always exiciting stuff happening on sundays :-P

  • <asac> anyway. at 10 i will probably be still in the lobby :-P

  • <asac> completely drunk though ... so i hope everyone else has gone to bed already :-P

  • <asac> just kidding

  • <asac> ok ... anything you want to discuss for LDS?

  • <asac> james_w: there will be some infrastructure requirements coming in for meego. i will subscribe you to the meego blueprint that kunal will draft so you stay on top. and also get your review before approval on that one

[TOPIC] AOB

  • Meeting finished at 14:25.

Actions

  • [ACTION] fgu to investigate auto probing of usb ethernet

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • [ACTION] asac to get packaging training session going during UDS

  • [ACTION] fgu to test the initrd l-m-c changes and get those landed before EOW

  • [ACTION] fgu to try unity with GLES2 stack from ppa:asac/armel1

  • [ACTION] fgu and sudipj_ to investigate linaro uboot touchscreen breakage on href8500 ... talk to jcrigby and michael brandt

  • [ACTION] vishalr to try to compile mm codecs with linaro toolchain

  • [ACTION] alf and asac to get work items to zero before UDS

  • [ACTION] asac to follow up with scottb on status of multimedia codec re-distribution discussion

  • [ACTION] vishalr to investigate what it takes to get 1080p mpeg4

  • [ACTION] gsachin to document current/hacky zero copy apporach in multimedia spec

  • [ACTION] asac and kunal to work on way to autobuild all linao kernel flavours daily

Team Work - Detailed

Alexandros Frantzis (alf)

  • Improved clutter EGL TFP patch to properly dispose resources. Still blocked on testing the actual TFP functionality due to missing OMAP4 hw.
  • More testing of clutter/clutk patches from Jammy, trying to solve the segfault on imx51.
  • Helped Kunal push meego tools related packages and code to launchpad.
  • In contact with TI on how to improve unity situation on OMAP4.
  • Studying for UDS.

Benjamin Gaignard (benjiG)

  • investigate zero copy optimization in gst-openmax

Frederick Gueydon (fgu)

Jammy Zhou (jazh)

  • Build mesa/clutter/mutter/unity locally for debug symbols
  • Fix the segfault for unity (and unity plugin for mutter) with mesa driver, but the segfault still happens for freescale driver, and the problem should also be related to cogl/raw gles2 interleaving usage

Jesse Barker (JesseBarker)

Kan Hu (Kan)

Kunal Goel (kunal)

Mandeep Kumar (mk1)

  • [Summary] Started surveying open source JPEG codecs for LDS JPEG decoder optimization session.
  • Booked hotel and flight for traveling to LDS next week.
  • Continued study of FFMPEG code for understanding existing ARM optimized routines available there.

Rony Nandy (ronynandy)

  • Preparing for the LDS session on Optmisation best Practices
  • Preparing for the LDS session on OptimizeCodecDirections

  • Preparing for the LDS session on Codec Validation.
  • Was on leave last week.Only 2 working days

Sachin Gupta (Sachin)

  • Worked on refactoring Xorg-ste driver so that ARM delivered parts can be deliverd in binary form
  • Discussed zero copy proposal inside STE.Need to float a detailed proposal.
  • Was on trip to Lund and on leave on Tuesay

Sudip Jain (sudipj)

  • Seperated ste-xorg driver and mali EXA/DRI extension
  • ste-xorg driver to be released as code and mali exa/dri as binary.

Tom Gall (tgall_foo)

  • vacation!

Vishal Raj (vraj)

  • mem2mem and mem2display works fine for video playback of 720P file. FPS is 30. CPU load in 35%, because it uses memcpy for decoded data in gst-omx.
  • At present working on Zero copy implementation, so that CPU load can be reduced.

Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-10-20 (last modified 2010-11-03 19:54:27)