Team Status Summary

  • Alexandros Frantzis - Trying to get mutter working on BB C4 with various drivers and also to test and improve clutter EGL tfp patch.
  • Frederick Gueydon - u-boot-linaro-next issues on u8500 + unity testing on-going
  • Jammy Zhou - progress with ubuntu-netbook and serial cons, working on segfault involving mutter with unity plugin
  • Kunal Goel - Meego build environment
  • Sachin Gupta - Xorg-ste refactoring and mem2mem decode enablement discussion
  • Sudip Jain - kernel fbmem patch released, working on xorg-ste
  • Tom Gall - Alip (default settings and making smaller), Plasma (default settings), Netbook-efl images (default settings), speed ups for linaro-media-create

Time/Place

  • Place: #linaro-meeting on irc.freenode.net

  • Time: Wednesday at 1300 UTC

Agenda

Standing Agenda

Agenda Additions

(add your agenda item here; mark the agenda item with your (nick), so we know who asked for this)

Actions from Last week

  • [ACTION] fgu to get kernel patches in that allow us to boot ext4, get network and start X

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • [ACTION] asac to sort out packaging training on friday and announce it himself or through tgall

  • [ACTION] tgall start to assemble weekly summary from first lines of individual status reports

  • [ACTION] asac and JesseBarker to come up with new agenda proposal

Minutes

Reminder

  • for those new to the team
  • 1. You are subscribed to linaro-dev
  • 2. have the linaro-leaves and linaro-events in your caleandar.linaro.org

review actions from last meeting

  • [DONE] fgu to get kernel patches in that allow us to boot ext4, get network and start X

  • <fgu> Kernel patches ok for X, network modprobe g_ether only for now, ext4 missing.

  • <fgu> I will asked jcrigby to include ext4 in our kernel config.

  • <alf_> what is the issue with network?

  • <fgu> just that for now the usbnet gadget is not included in the defconfig by default

  • <fgu> and the g_ether module is not probed automatically when you use the usb cable.

  • <fgu> so for now we just modprobe it. yes.

  • [ACTION]: fgu to investigate auto probing of usb ethernet

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • <JamieBennett> Oh, didn't realise I had that, I'll do that this week

  • [ACTION] asac to sort out packaging training on friday and announce it himself or through tgall

  • <alf_> that was planned but then cancelled due to urgent work

  • <alf_> so it has to wait until asac gets back

  • [ACTION] tgall start to assemble weekly summary from first lines of individual status reports

  • <alf_> I don't see many people having done this (first line summaries)

  • <tgall_foo> yup I'll be taking care of that with this week's summary

  • <tgall_foo> I can probably cover it if people don't mind me picking and choosing from their status!

  • <tgall_foo> make sure you get your status in tho!

  • [ACTION] All to add a first line summary to their status reports, prefixed with "[Summary]"

  • [ACTION] asac and JesseBarker to come up with new agenda proposal

  • <alf_> JesseBarker: that has to wait for asac to come back, right?

  • <JesseBarker> I should think so.

Spec Status (asac)

Image status (kunal)

  • <kunal> images were fine these week

  • <kunal> hwpack build failed on Hudson for 2 days

  • <kunal> http://jameswestby.net:8080/view/Hardware%20Packs/job/linaro-bsp-ux500/44/

  • <kunal> but it's fine now back to normal build

  • <kunal> tested the ux500 image for http://snapshots.linaro.org/10.11-daily/linaro-headless-bsp-ux500/20101010/

  • <kunal> it is fine with x and network with modprobe g_ether

  • <kunal> that's it for image status

  • <alf_> Great! Did you or fgu had a chance to look at initrd support?

  • <tgall_foo> the netbook-efl build doesn't yet have the defaut usr/login modifications yet so hopefully JamieBennett will get those merged today so we have a few less bugs for the testing on Thursday

  • <JamieBennett> yep, I'll do that today

  • <kunal> alf_ : no i forgot about that

  • <kunal> i'll check

  • <fgu> alf_: I add an address suggested by Michael Brandt to test, no time to try it last week.

  • [ACTION] kunal and fgu to look at initrd support

  • <alf_> Another small thing, is adding a warning when not using --hwpack in lmc?

  • <alf_> Anyone interested in checking if this is there and implementing it?

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to implement warning when not using --hwpack in l-m-c

ST-E BSP update (fgu)

  • <fgu> flashkit uboot on 64bits issue solved: install ia32-java-6-sun package.

  • <fgu> uboot linaro next: our u8500.h patch seems not sufficient, debug on-going.

  • <fgu> I had some mails exchange with jcrigby 2 weeks ago, I think on this. But I tried to use our 8500.h patch

  • <kunal> fgu: what are the issues?

  • <fgu> our BOOTCOMMAND is not used.

  • <fgu> it's only working with the standard env variables.

  • <fgu> I am talking about uboot linaro next only.

  • <fgu> But I have just received a new mail today from jcrigby, who has done some changes on this git. I will give it a new try todsay.

  • <fgu> "today".

  • <alf_> fgu, did you have a chance to try out any of our images?

  • <fgu> for flashkit uboot on 64bits machine: it's just a simple package to add, but an important one to use for every href users on ubuntu 64bits.

  • <fgu> for the images, I was trying unity

  • <fgu> forgot to test the global linaro-netbook-efl

  • <fgu> I have installed unity over an headless image.

  • <alf_> how did that go?

  • <fgu> ko: ""Clutk-ERROR **: Unable to initialise Glew: glewInit Error: Missing GL version""

  • <fgu> I must be missing some mali stuff there...?

  • <alf_> hmm, you have the GL versions of the clutter/clutk/mutter stack

  • <alf_> you should get the versions in ppa:asac/armel1

  • <fgu> I have just used the headless image from 6 or 7 oct + update & install unity. ok

  • <fgu> ok thanks will try this one.

  • <alf_> thanks fgu!

  • [ACTION] fgu to try unity with GLES2 stack from ppa:asac/armel1

ST-E Board Bringup update (sudipj)

  • <sudipj> yes

  • <sudipj> kernel fbmem patch released and integrated in git-linaro

  • <sudipj> tested and working fine with xorg-fbdev driver\

  • <sudipj> now working on xorg-ste driver

  • <sudipj> to make it independent of Mali

  • <sudipj> till we have licensing issues

  • <sudipj> dependency of Mali is removed from the code

  • <sudipj> building now packages

Graphics Update (jazh)

  • <jazh_> the segmentation fault is still there for both mesa and FSL driver when run mutter with unity plugin

  • <jazh_> and I tried to get the full backtrace for the segfault, but it seems tough, and the build for dbg symbols took much time

  • <jazh_> now only partial back trace has been got

  • <jazh_> and the symbol "util_format_r32g32b32_float_unpack_rgba_8unorm" symbol in the back trace is for pipe_swrast.so (mesa gallium driver)

  • <jazh_> It is quite strange that mutter cannot stop at this function with the break point set when debugging.

  • <alf_> can you stop at some higher level call and single-step from there?

  • <jazh_> alf_: and as you mentioned before, mutter with unity plugin can work with mesa driver in your side, right?

  • <alf_> yes

  • <jazh_> alf_: there is no higher level symbols;)

  • <jazh_> on BB? or desktop?

  • <alf_> on desktop

  • <alf_> it also runs on omap4 (using proprietary drivers)

  • <jazh_> and I found that address for some un-resolved symbols in the backtrace are not in the process memory map

  • <alf_> perhaps you could see in mesa code where util_format_r32g32b32_float_unpack_rgba_8unorm is called from and try to put a breakpoint at those functions

  • <alf_> ok so more investigation is needed on this, I will try on BB mesa too and see what happens

  • <jazh_> alf_: I tried analyze the mesa code, but it is not so easy, besides this function is generated when compiling from one .py file

  • <alf_> we running out of time, so moving on...

Multimedia enablement update (Sachin/vraj)

  • <vishalr> mem2mem and mem2display video playback in both cases are working using gst-launch

  • <vishalr> it uses ste h/w decoder

  • <vishalr> at present in gst-omx memcpy is being used to copy decoded data

  • <vishalr> so there can be performance issues

  • <gsachin_> also I had discussion with Benjamin how mem2meem and STE zerocopy solution can coexist together

  • <gsachin_> and we agreed on Benjamin's proposal for this

  • <vishalr> but present sol. does not have zero copy mechanim

  • <vishalr> which we have right now

  • <vishalr> yes sachin

  • <gsachin_> so the next step is to push proposal agreed with Benjamin inside STE

  • <vishalr> ok

  • <alf_> gsachin_: can you make the proposal public eg send it on linaro-dev?

  • <alf_> or is it too specific to STE to be useful?

  • <gsachin_> yes I already have this action from yesterday's meeting

  • <alf_> ok :)

  • <gsachin_> yes it specific to STE but still it can be discussed in lINARO

  • <alf_> Did anyone try to compile mm codecs with linaro toolchain?

  • <vishalr> it need to be done

  • <vishalr> its action on me

  • <vishalr> thats all

  • [ACTION] vishalr to try to compile mm codecs with linaro toolchain

Linaro-handset-plasma (ian_brasil/rbelem)

  • <tgall_foo> the defaults for autostart etc were merged for plasma

  • <alf_> tgall_foo: any issues remaining?

  • <ian_brasil> tgall_foo: ok

  • <tgall_foo> I also dropped in a modification to use QT_GRAPHICSYSTEM=raster

  • <tgall_foo> alf_, well it doesn't run well at all on a 256Meg BB ...

  • <alf_> was any performance benefit with "raster"?

  • <tgall_foo> alf_, yes .. not a huge improvement but from say glacial to molasses

  • <alf_> ok, good then :)

  • <ian_brasil> :)

  • <alf_> we still need to test this with gles backends, see gfx WG meetings notes for this

  • <tgall_foo> alf_, yup .. on my list .. that should hopefully help as well

  • <alf_> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Middleware/Graphics/Notes/2010-10-11

Meego status update (kunal)

  • <kunal> rpm build without obs is now working now

  • <kunal> done for uboot and kernel rpms

  • <alf_> great!

  • <kunal> inside maverick chroot and linaro toolchain using rpmbuild utility

  • <kunal> made a draft document for meego image build procedure

  • <kunal> https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/Heads/Meego/ImageBuilding

  • <kunal> intial draft only

  • <kunal> locations need to be added

  • <alf_> all great journeys begin with a single step ;)

  • <kunal> tried built rpms with meego rootfs creation utility

  • <kunal> it's working fine meego rootfs with x fbdev

  • <kunal> and now the meego image creation tools need to be added into ppa

  • <kunal> so that infrastructure team can start working on it

  • <kunal> and we can have the meego images

  • <alf_> do you need any help with that?

  • <kunal> yes

  • <kunal> i have the debian and tar files from meego site

  • <kunal> need to know how to put on ppa and locations etc

  • <kunal> same with meego create script and git2source script also

  • [ACTION] alf to help out kunal pushing image creation tools to PPA

Agenda Additions (see below) AOB

  • none

Actions

  • [ACTION]: fgu to investigate auto probing of usb ethernet

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • [ACTION] asac to sort out packaging training on friday and announce it himself or through tgall

  • [ACTION] All to add a first line summary to their status reports, prefixed with "[Summary]"

  • [ACTION] asac and JesseBarker to come up with new agenda proposal

  • [ACTION] kunal and fgu to look at initrd support

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to implement warning when not using --hwpack in l-m-c

  • [ACTION] fgu to try unity with GLES2 stack from ppa:asac/armel1

  • [ACTION] vishalr to try to compile mm codecs with linaro toolchain

  • [ACTION] alf to help out kunal pushing image creation tools to PPA

Team Work - Detailed

Alexander Sack (asac)

  • vacation!

Alexandros Frantzis (alf)

  • Summary: Trying to get mutter working on BB C4 with various drivers and also to test and improve clutter EGL tfp patch.
  • Beagleboard C4 tests
    • Got it running again after building a new DB9 to IDC10 cable (for serial).
    • Mutter not running on C4 with sgx drivers (same problem as with XM). Black screen, complaints about WEGLInconsistentX11Tree.
    • Tried meego sgx drivers. Can't get them to work at all. Speculating that they are incompatible with our kernel modules.
  • clutter EGL tfp
    • Tested Graeme's patch on mesa swrast => not working with just EGL_KHR_image.

    • Tested mesa-demos EGL_KHR_image_pixmap example => not working with just EGL_KHR_image.

    • Blocked on lack of hardware for which the driver (mesa or other) actually supports EGL_KHR_image_pixmap.
    • Working on improving Graeme's patch.
  • Rolled out new mutter package with alternative eglx-es20 clutter dependencies (ppa:afrantzis/clutter-1.2 and ppa:asac/armel1).
  • Working on Ubuntu Contributing Developer application.

Benjamin Gaignard (benjiG)

Frederick Gueydon (fgu)

  • [summary]: u-boot-linaro-next issues on u8500 + unity testing on-going
  • xorg-ste-driver licensing follow-up
  • flashkit uboot on 64bits issue solved: install ia32-java-6-sun package.
  • uboot linaro next: our u8500.h patch seems not sufficient, debug on-going.
  • test some daily + hwpacks: unity seems ko, need to test a complete netbool-efl image.
  • not asked jcrigby to include ext4 for now in our kernel config.

Jammy Zhou (jazh)

  • solve the hang for install ubuntu-netbook by copying the rootfs from NFS to SD card
  • with the help of asac, solve the serial console not work after mount rootfs
  • there is still segfault for running mutter with unity plugin (same for mesa and fsl drivers), and there is texture pixmap related warning message before the segfault. The full back strace for the segfault seems hard to get, currently only partial back trace is retrieved. The "util_format_r32g32b32_float_unpack_rgba_8unorm" symbol in the back trace is for pipe_swrast.so (mesa gallium driver). It is quite strange that mutter cannot stop at this function with the break point set when debugging.

Jesse Barker (JesseBarker)

Kan Hu (Kan)

Kunal Goel (kunal)

Mandeep Kumar (mk1)

Rony Nandy (ronynandy)

Sachin Gupta (Sachin)

  • summary: Xorg-ste refactoring and mem2mem decode enablement discussion
  • worked with Sudip on understanding how X-org ste driver can be refactored so that ARM provided parts can be delivered in binary form and STE developed part can be delivered in source form.Sudip implementing proposal
  • discussion with Benjamin on his proposal for mem2mem decode enablement along with zerocopy mechanism in place.Need to try to push Benjamin's proposal in STE

Sudip Jain (sudipj)

  • kernel fbmem patch released and integrated in linaro kernel.
  • Working on xorg-ste driver to make independent of Mali

Tom Gall (tgall_foo)

  • Alip and Plasma default linaro user & environment changes merged

  • netbook-efl default linaro user & environment changes still pending

  • been experimenting locally with removing collections of unneeded packages and comparing linaro ALIP to real ALIP to identify more unneeded packages
    • need a good way to slim down an image, something that external creators of "product" wanting to base on ubuntu / linaro could easily utilize
  • pulling together elements to assemble a build of plasma and netbook-efl optimized for graphics based on everyone's recent work
  • started to experiment on what it will take to run linaro on a nexus one
  • submitted small patch to linaro-media-create to skip partitioning step
  • reworking rsync & parallel tasks optimization for linaro-media-create

Vishal Raj (vraj)

  • mem2mem and mem2display decoding is working fine on linaro kernel ans rootfs using ste h/w decoder. it uses open source bellagio core.
  • present solution uses memcpy, so there can be performance issues.

Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-10-13 (last modified 2010-10-19 06:35:49)