Time/Place

  • Place: #linaro-meeting on irc.freenode.net

  • Time: Wednesday at 1300 UTC

Agenda

Standing Agenda

Agenda Additions

(add your agenda item here; mark the agenda item with your (nick), so we know who asked for this)

  • weekly mgmt status
  • agenda changes due to new WGs

Actions from Last week

  • [ACTION] asac to create a ste enablement project or get anmar/scottb to do that

  • [ACTION] vraj and gsachin to investigate if and how to make gst-launch work for mem 2 mem + display to video at the same time

  • [ACTION] fgu to ensure that jcrigby lands the patches and rolls new packages

  • [ACTION] sudipj to send patches for fbmem.c and usbnet to jcrigby and CC asac and fgu

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to send seed pointers and image build instructions for plasma to ian_brasil

  • [ACTION] asac and fgu to talk about ste-xorg driver foss out (without mali support for now)

Minutes

Meeting started at 13:06

[TOPIC] new starters

  • <asac> we got a bunch of new starters this week; a few cannot join because of travelling or public holidays.

  • <asac> benjiG is a multimedia generalist from STE

  • <asac> JesseBarker our graphics WG tech lead

  • <asac> (from ARM)

  • <asac> Kan Hu (Freescale) a multimedia specialist (on public holiday)

  • <asac> so say hello if you see them on channel and help them get a pleasent start here ;)

  • <asac> oh mandeep from TI is also multimedia engineer and also interested in graphics

  • <asac> (also on vaction this week)

[TOPIC] Review actions from last meeting

  • [DONE] asac to create a ste enablement project or get anmar/scottb to do that

  • <asac> this was decided. we dont create a project for now (landing team will do that). instead we file bugs against linaro project and use the ux500 tag

  • [DONE] vraj and gsachin to investigate if and how to make gst-launch work for mem 2 mem + display to video at the same time

  • <gsachin> Yes I analyzed and only solution without making changes inxvimage sink is to

  • <gsachin> detect what is the downstream filter and based on that either copy full buffer or physical address

  • <gsachin> will start implementation soon

  • <asac> ok that sounds easy or is the framework not prepared to get that info about downstream?

  • <gsachin> this solution only requires modifications to gst-openmax

  • <gsachin> framework is there

  • <gsachin> but it could be little tricky based on pipeline

  • <gsachin> so need to take care of all possibilitiew

  • <asac> ok cool. sounds like a plan is there. seems this action is done. we should note this down as part of the gstomax topic next cycle

  • [ACTION] fgu to ensure that jcrigby lands the patches and rolls new packages

  • <fgu> received jcrigby update on uboot + u8500 patches

  • <fgu> now available on git://git.linaro.org/boot/u-boot-linaro-next.git.

  • <fgu> Compil ok. Testing after the weekly.

  • <asac> i think this didn't happen

  • <asac> ah thats uboot patches. thought it was about kernel

  • <fgu> for uboot only

  • <fgu> yes

  • <fgu> no update on kernel side for now

  • <asac> ok. we should get those in asap. time is against us on that with just a few days left before we really go into next cycle

  • [ACTION] fgu to get kernel patches in that allow us to boot ext4, get network and start X

  • [DONE] sudipj to send patches for fbmem.c and usbnet to jcrigby and CC asac and fgu

  • <asac> tgall_foo: oh right. that happened

  • <fgu> yes, but it's my next action

  • <asac> and fgu will reuse them in the patches we are working on

  • <sudipj> tgall_foo: thats done

  • [DONE] tgall_foo to send seed pointers and image build instructions for plasma to ian_brasil

  • https://wiki.linaro.org/LiveHelper/Hacking

  • <asac> ian_brasil_: do you need anything on top?

  • <ian_brasil_> asac: no

  • <asac> awesome ... our heads are coming together nicely. would be great to get some size reduction on plasma too

  • <asac> tgall_foo: how much of the size reduction changes you did were in x11-base? e.g. how much will also benefit the other x11-base based heads?

  • <tgall_foo> asac, it varies but yes some was from x11-base and based on talking to slangasek last night we've few more things we'll probably pull from the base

  • <tgall_foo> x11-base that is

  • [INPROGRESS] asac and fgu to talk about ste-xorg driver foss out (without mali support for now)

  • <asac> this is ongoing and gsachin also works on this. not sure if we are ready to give a public update on this yet

  • <asac> work is still ongoing

  • <fgu> yes

  • <fgu> better code split + licensing

  • <fgu> in progress

  • <asac> i think we dont need to carry over this action. this is now unleashed and will continue to succeed

[TOPIC] Spec Status (asac)

[TOPIC] Image status (kunal)

  • <kunal> this week images were fine

  • <kunal> tried with ux500 image and hwpack

  • <kunal> no issues as such

  • <fgu> using now our linaro-media-create patch

  • <asac> kunal: we will need to get a proper linaro-media-create patch landed to support ux500 oob

  • <asac> only thing missing there is uInitrd support

  • <kunal> fgu provided the latest one

  • <kunal> yes that is missing

  • <asac> if you see the recent discussion about the imx51 patch you see that without that it wont be able to boot our default root=UUID=... device

  • <kunal> k

  • <kunal> yes that needs to be added

  • <fgu> will check this with michael brandt

  • <asac> without uInitrd ... and we will most likely not add a --no-initrd option this cycle to l-m-c (but next cycle for sure)

  • <asac> fgu: i thin its really simple. you could try with the same values that beagle uses

  • <asac> i think

  • <asac> maybe it just works and we can move on

  • <fgu> let's try it. I will let you know ok

  • <kunal> i'll look with fgu and try to implement ity

  • <asac> also on this front, one important news. JamieBennett took the action and dropped all kernels from our images. so hwpack is now mandatory

  • <fgu> ah ok.

  • <kunal> k

  • <asac> e.g. headless is now just 67M (instead of 100M) because the omap kernel is out. we will disable the special headless builds for ux500 amd imx51 soon

  • <fgu> ok

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • <asac> JamieBennett: also we have to push out a warning in l-m-c if someone tries to use that without --hwpack option i guess

  • <JamieBennett> asac: right

  • <asac> (error would prevent folks to install locally produced images that have kernel etc.)

  • <asac> ok next

[TOPIC] ST-E BSP update (fgu)

  • <fgu> Daily / hwpacks for ux500 ok with latest linaro-media-script patch, including image from oct, 5th 2010.

  • <fgu> X/Lxde tests

  • <fgu> Current work with Sudip to get the touchscreen driver running

  • <fgu> Sudip succeeded to get it work but with Meego code (uboot + kernel), need some gap analysis.

  • <asac> fgu: i have a question. why are you using lxde? is that because the other heads we have are not good enough? or too big?

  • <asac> do we need a lxde head?

  • <fgu> no...it was just a test

  • <asac> right. just wonder how you think about trying that rather than pulling down a ready to use head ;)

  • <asac> if it was miscommunication on our side. or because you liked the idea to test lxde

  • <asac> just want to understand if it indicates that we have to do something ;)

  • <fgu> I wanted just to give it a test

  • <fgu> and then with sudip he were trying to get the touchscreen working on it

  • <asac> ok good. maybe test our heads then future ... which automatically helps us getting more test coverage and feedback on those ;)

  • <fgu> it could have been a different wm

  • <fgu> yep.

  • <asac> right. lets try to prefer the images we have to leverage dogfooding to bake our output

  • <asac> ok thanks fgu ... so touch is next hot topic ;)

[TOPIC] ST-E Board Bringup update (sudipj)

  • <sudipj> Patch for X to be released for daily-build /binary/boot/config-2.6.34-1000-ste-ux500

  • <fgu> new one ? or still the mcde ?

  • <sudipj> patch generated, to be sent to linaro-dev mailing list

  • <sudipj> new one

  • <sudipj> just for kernel config

  • <fgu> which config ?

  • <sudipj> daily-build /binary/boot/config-2.6.34-1000-ste-ux500

  • <fgu> no, which variable is changing

  • <asac> sudipj: maybe paste the patch if you have

  • <asac> fgu: i assume he made a patch against our config to make things work oob

  • <asac> rather than the default config in tree

  • <sudipj> I 'll send thru mail to fgu

  • <asac> remember to send to linaro-dev too ;)

  • <sudipj> Presently got touchscreen driver running using Meego kernel and Meego uboot, lxde and netbook-launcher-efl heads are responding well.

  • <sudipj> Gap analysis to be done for enabling touchscreen on linaro kernel

  • <sudipj> and using linaro uboot

  • <sudipj> While the xorg-ste/mali licensing are ongoing, ||ly study on ste-driver to be able to initially use without Mali and further use it dynamically.

  • <sudipj> thats all, Any other action for MOP500 board bring on linaro ?

[TOPIC] Graphics Update (jazh)

  • <asac> so jazh isnt here, so i can cover his part on unity/clutk

  • <asac> alf made progress: we are able to start unity like desktop by using mutter --plugin=... command ... so just a short step away

  • <asac> texture pixmap binding patch for clutter is currently discussed in graphics group. that should give us speed up on various fronts.

  • <asac> thats all from unity, right alf?

  • <alf> yes

  • <asac> JesseBarker: do you want to give a general overview of graphics this week? we can also do that next week as I know you are first time here ;)

  • <JesseBarker> I'm not sure that it's terribly interesting.

  • <JesseBarker> We've got all of the 'tr' topics ironed out, and I'm proceeding to create engineering blueprints from them.

  • https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/TechnicalTopics#Graphics%20Acceleration:%20Kernel%20to%20Userspace

  • <fgu> pixman priority?

  • <JesseBarker> pixman priority is low because there is already a lot of good work in there and ongoing.

  • <asac> our priority is kind of a mix of: general importance of the part, expected impact of our work, priority by TSC, likelyhood of delivery ... so some priorities might feel odd :)

[TOPIC] Meego status update (kunal)

  • <kunal> on meego side

  • <kunal> review changes integrated in git2source script

  • <kunal> and sent to asac

  • <kunal> i'll upload on launchpad

  • <kunal> created meego rootfs with basic x support

  • <kunal> in this used linaro kernel and uboot in local repo

  • <asac> you can also discuss with james_w on #linaro ... he said he might have some background on rpm tools etc.

  • <kunal> ok

  • <kunal> i'll talk with him

  • <tgall_foo> kunal, are you going to build the rpm package from source or do you just wnat to package binaries as rpms ?

  • <asac> once all those pieces are evaluated we need to write a spec for a solution to be deployed on linaro infrastructure

  • <asac> tgall_foo: from source

  • <tgall_foo> ah .. that might be fun .. but all in all probably not too bad

  • <asac> tgall_foo: 1. how to create rootfs, 2. how to install build depends, 3. how to build ;)

  • <kunal> from source rpms

  • <asac> tgall_foo: and all at best on a ubuntu host

  • <tgall_foo> right the deps system will be quite messed up

  • <asac> ok thanks kunal ... good progress. lets move on as we are running low on time

  • <kunal> tgall_foo: at present all taken care by OBS serevr

[TOPIC] Multimedia enablement update (Sachin/vishalr)

  • <vishalr> status is same

  • <vishalr> video playback to dispay using ste hw decoder is working on linaro kernel and rootfs

  • <vishalr> doing investigation on gst-openmax

  • <vishalr> so that mem2mem and mem2display can work

  • <asac> ok what needs to be done there? ah right. good point.

  • <vishalr> along with sachin

  • <asac> vishalr: just do some investigations for now. we should put that in our planning for next cycle on gst omax consolidation

  • <vishalr> requires modification in gst-openmax

  • <gsachin> vishal : I have already discussed with asac how we can do mem2mem

  • <vishalr> ok thanks

  • <gsachin> we need to start working on this

  • <vishalr> ok

  • <asac> on top of gst-omax we still have bellagio and multimedia pack packages on radar. i promissed to make a packaging training session on friday

  • <asac> (e.g. part II)

  • <vishalr> yes

  • <asac> anyone willing to assist there ;)?

  • <vishalr> do we need to give package compiled with linaro toolchain

  • <vishalr> because at present compiled with ste toolchain

  • [ACTION] asac to sort out packaging training on friday and announce it himself or through tgall

  • <asac> vishalr: mm codec binaries would be nice to have from linaro toolchain

  • <asac> but not really a must atm.

  • <vishalr> ok, i will compile them with linaro toolchain

  • <asac> give it a try. i hope its easy and then we could try performance difference too

[TOPIC] Linaro-handset-plasma (ian_brasil/rbelem)

[TOPIC] Agenda Additions (see below)

[TOPIC] weekly mgmt status

  • <asac> so this is important. we have to deliver a weekly management status now ...

  • <asac> idea is to provide a few lines on top of our https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-10-06 page for instance

  • <asac> lead can clean things up, but i would like you to use the first line in your report to outline the most important thing you did this week ;)

  • <asac> include which project/blueprint etc. that is included to

  • <asac> i would then assemble a list of those lines and clean them up in a mgmt compatible fashion ;)

  • <asac> so please do that from next week on.

  • <fgu> I like the words " in a mgmt compatible fashion" ;o)

  • [ACTION] tgall start to assemble weekly summary from first lines of individual status reports

  • <asac> we ran out of time. we need to adjust our schedule. compress a few status updat items and add a few more for the new working groups

  • <asac> so i will not do the "agenda changes due to new WGs " topic this meeting. rather talk with JesseBarker what we want to change etc.

  • [ACTION] asac and JesseBarker to come up with new agenda proposal

[TOPIC] AOB

Actions

  • [ACTION] fgu to get kernel patches in that allow us to boot ext4, get network and start X

  • [ACTION] JamieBennett to disable special headless builds and get them moved to old/ or something on our snapshots.linaro.org host

  • [ACTION] asac to sort out packaging training on friday and announce it himself or through tgall

  • [ACTION] tgall start to assemble weekly summary from first lines of individual status reports

  • [ACTION] asac and JesseBarker to come up with new agenda proposal

Team Work - Detailed

Alexander Sack (asac)

Alexandros Frantzis (alf)

  • More work on abrek test definitions (submit separate merge requests for each test etc).
  • Continuing investigating mutter sgx crashes and trying to find a combination of options/drivers etc that works.
  • clutter
    • Fixed bug in clutter that caused crash in mutter/unity.
    • Updated clutter-1.0-linaro package to include that patch (plus some other changes).
  • clutk
    • Added small test program to test clutk effects.
    • Fixed bugs that caused effects to be rendered incorrectly or not at all (lp:~afrantzis/+junk/gles2-shaders.alf).
    • Update clutk package.
  • With above changes in clutter and clutk we managed to get unity (as a mutter plugin) working on mesa gles2!

Benjamin Gaignard (benjiG)

  • new starter tasks

Frederick Gueydon (fgu)

  • Daily / hwpacks for ux500 ok with latest linaro-media-script patch, including image from oct, 5th 2010.
    • Missing uInitrd load in boot.cmd. Michael Brandt contacted to help me on this.
    • network usage even if usbnet is not embedded in the kernel is ok (modprobe usbnet & g_ether)

    • ext4 today is missing in the config-2.6.34-ux500-1000 defconfig. Further defconfig analysis on-going.
  • X/Lxde tests
    • Current work with Sudip to get the touchscreen driver running
    • Sudip succeeded to get it work but with Meego code (uboot + kernel), need some gap analysis.
  • Xorg-ste-driver foss-out: work-in-progres with Sachin, for both:
    • Better code split xorg & mali

    • ARM licensing aspects

Jammy Zhou (jazh)

  • vacation

Jesse Barker (JesseBarker)

Kan Hu (Kan)

  • not yet started (chinese public holiday)

Kunal Goel (kunal)

  • Review Changes integrated in git2source script
  • Creating Meego Rootfs
    • Created linaro kernel & uboot rpm on OBS server

    • Created local repo on ubuntu machine
    • rootfs created with local repo and meego standard repository
    • X and framebuffer support in meego rootfs
    • Xterm, xclock working fine
  • rpm build without OBS investigation ongoing

Mandeep Kumar (mk1)

  • vacation

Rony Nandy (ronynandy)

  • new starter tasks

Sachin Gupta (Sachin)

  • Leave on Thursday
  • Analysis of STE GSTOMX implementation for memory to memory decode
  • Analysis of TI GstOpenmax still ongoing

  • Also actions to resolve Fossout issues with Xorg-ste started

Sudip Jain (sudipj)

  • Patch for X to be released w.r.t daily-build /binary/boot/config-2.6.34-1000-ste-ux500
  • Changes to be done in Linaro uboot for enabling touchscreen.
  • Discussion ongoing for x-org-ste/mali licensing issues and future strategy

Tom Gall (tgall_foo)

  • linaro-alip
    • first set of useful patches all merged, 1004 snapshots and on seem to be decent
    • the diet continues, current size down to ~395M compressed (ways to go)
    • found the logout bug #652121, fix underway
    • found why timed login wasn't working, fix underway
  • linaro-handset-plasma
    • flavor removed, committed
  • linaro-headless
    • flavor removed, committed
    • linaro default user changes queued up
  • linaro-netbook-efi
    • flavor removed, committed
    • linaro default user changes queued up
  • nexus one + Meego
    • research via http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/MSMQSD status and method of meego port to Nexus One

    • plenty of assembly but could be used as a method to potentially advance ofono work as well as create a linaro NexusOne image

Vishal Raj (vraj)

Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-10-06 (last modified 2010-10-06 15:38:15)