Time/Place

  • Place: #linaro-meeting on irc.freenode.net

  • Time: Wednesday at 1300 UTC

Agenda

Standing Agenda

Agenda Additions

(add your agenda item here; mark the agenda item with your (nick), so we know who asked for this)

Actions from Last week

  • [ACTION] ian_brasil to update blueprints

  • [ACTION] asac to find out how to best file ste bsp board enabling bugs

  • [ACTION] fgu to look into kernel modules foss out for multimedia -> and get those included in bsp kernel tree

  • [ACTION] sudipj to release kernel patch for X enablement

  • [ACTION] vrag to investigate why memory to memory decoding using GST-launch is not working

  • [ACTION] alf/asac to find out about official image testing policy

  • [ACTION] kunal to investigate uboot issues with STE patches

  • [ACTION] kunal to send script for creating kernel tarball for review

Minutes

Actions from Last week

  • [DONE] ian_brasil to update blueprints

  • <ian_brasil> cleaned up the blueprints ...postponed some of TODO items on the blueprint ...only 2 are left TODO ...1. slim down the image and 2. write some docs on installing the image on a device (specifically an N900)

  • [DONE] asac to find out how to best file ste bsp board enabling bugs

  • [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Process/Bugs/Tags

  • <asac> so we should tag the bugs with u8500

  • <asac> since we dont have a package in archive we probably should create a linaro-ste project ... or for now just file them against linaro directly

  • <rajeev> let us create seperate project

  • [ACTION] asac to create a ste enablement project or get anmar/scottb to do that

  • [ACTION] fgu to look into kernel modules foss out for multimedia -> and get those included in bsp kernel tree

  • fgu reported No action on this quite yet.
  • <asac> fgu: could you send me a mail with the list of components that you have on your foss out TODO list?

  • <asac> i would like to add more and then we should drive those. especially things like b2r2 become pressing now

  • <asac> because we are at a stage where we have more or less working fbdev etc.

  • <fgu> asac: will try. we have received an update about differents drivers from linus

  • <fgu> asac: about their status regarding mainline only

  • <asac> fgu: sure thats fine. but is independent of the foss out of the stuff we still need ;)

  • <fgu> asac: the list includes some drivers related to multimedia.

  • <asac> right can you share that with me in private? so i can see how much this covers?

  • <fgu> asac: sync with rajeev also needed I think. ok.

  • [DONE] sudipj to release kernel patch for X enablement

  • [DONE] vrag to investigate why memory to memory decoding using GST-launch is not working

  • <asac> ok cool. what was the problem?

  • <vraj> memory to display is working

  • <vraj> gstomx is only sending the pointer

  • <vraj> its not copying the full decoded data

  • <vraj> when output is passed to X which uses ste x driver which fetches data from pointer

  • <vraj> so it worked

  • <asac> but mem 2 mem is still an issue? just an undestood issue?

  • <vraj> mem2mem is also working

  • <rajeev> we discussed mem 2 mem will be an issue in our implemention

  • <vraj> but frames are corrupted

  • <rajeev> because the way it is implemnted

  • <vraj> so it required modification in gstomx

  • <asac> ok ... so mem2mem (as in the special tool you have) works, but mem 2 mem with gst-launch does not work because of the pointer stuff vraj explained above?

  • <vraj> so that it does not copy pointer and copy full decoded data

  • <asac> vraj: can gstomx be patched in a way that we can use the same source/binary and still get both: mem2mem + zero copy display to screen?

  • <asac> or would we need a special gstomx just for this mem 2 mem test for gst-launch?

  • <vraj> it needs investigation

  • <gsachin> no it is only possible if we patch xvimagesink

  • [ACTION] vraj and gsachin to investigate if and how to make gst-launch work for mem 2 mem + display to video at the same time

  • <gsachin> it doesnot break x as the buffer is directly used by Xvideo adaptor and our xvideo adaptor handles it

  • [DONE] alf/asac to find out about official image testing policy

  • <alf_> See https://wiki.linaro.org/Process/ReleaseTesting

  • <asac> i think jamie sent a mail about this a few days ago

  • [DONE] kunal to investigate uboot issues with STE patches

  • <kunal> worked with fgu for testing new uboot 2010.09rc1.1-ubuntu3

  • <fgu> uboot 2010.09rc1.1-ubuntu3 with John Rigby patches + small patches running now on href. Patches sent to John.

  • <kunal> sent my chnages to fgu he integrated and sent to jcrigby

  • <asac> so those patches are now in the package with version 2010.09rc1.1-ubuntu3 ?

  • <fgu> no

  • <fgu> jcrigby should have a look at it

  • <asac> ok so it needs landing in packages

  • <fgu> I have sent our patches

  • [ACTION] fgu to ensure that jcrigby lands the patches and rolls new packages

  • [INPROGRESS] kunal to send script for creating kernel tarball for review

  • <kunal> yes i sent the same to asac

  • <kunal> he gave his feedback

  • <kunal> now workign on that

  • <kunal> will re send for review in few days

[TOPIC] Spec Status (asac) [LINK] http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/linaro-user-platforms.html

  • <asac> this is looking not so bad even though we are above the trend. i have to postpone most of my items to be honest and tgall_foo is blocked on getting his hardware

  • <asac> but nothing to do a real action from.

  • <asac> release is coming and we are in full planning mode for next cycle.

  • <asac> in anycase, the amount of work done by user platform is remarkable and we achieved quite a lot; especially if you think that most stuff was done by alf_. so kudos to him; he clearly earned the "working machine" badge this cycle ;)

  • <asac> unfortunately most team members came late so their work is not reflected there :/ ... next cycle all will be fine ;)

[TOPIC] Image status (kunal)

  • <kunal> images are fine

  • <kunal> as such no trouble this week

  • <kunal> all were images are there

  • <asac> right. there was some short disruption because ubuntu -desktop team rolled a new gtk+ etc. close to final freeze ... but nothing really noteworthy

  • <fgu> we are missing for the bsp-ux500 headless pack maybe the right defconfig

  • <asac> i think tgall_foo has some refinements pending for alip ... which might reduce size to something a bit more handy still ... also flashing out better user experience by adding auto login and a default user

  • <asac> fgu: if you need changes to configs you really need to get those to jcrigby

  • <asac> i would suggest that you start with the config used by our package rather than what you use internally and modify that config until it works

  • <fgu> ok

  • <asac> i think that will make us reach our goal faster than trying to review all the differences

  • <tgall_foo> asac, The size refinemens are all in currently ... the user experience patches I will post for review after this meeting

  • <asac> tgall_foo: great. will slangasek review those too?

  • <tgall_foo> asac, possible .. during AoB we should perhaps discuss to make sure he's the right one to review for the various changes

[TOPIC] ST-E BSP update (fgu)

  • <fgu> Flashkit for uboot delivered + instructions sent to jcrigby & asac.

  • <fgu> uboot 2010.09rc1.1-ubuntu3 for href ok

  • <fgu> boot from mmc fat16 uImage ok

  • <fgu> Changes in the linaro-media-create script: patch sent to asac but need to test Vincent Guittot new release to get it work oob.

  • <fgu> Test Sudip patches for X server and defconfig, hwmem & usbnet were missing. (New patch received today to be tested)

  • <asac> fgu: when did you send the patch ;)?

  • <fgu> asac: sudip patches or uboot patches ?

  • <asac> l-m-c

  • <fgu> asac: 27 sept

  • <fgu> Uboot 2010.09.rc1.1.ubuntu3

  • <fgu> title of the mail

  • <fgu> patch l-m-c inside

  • <fgu> Test all this on href with linaro headless image for bsp-ux500 from 27 sept.

  • <asac> ok ...

  • <fgu> LXDE just installed as a test, small recent chromium browser sunspider test over ssh (7.0.537.0 (60790)).

  • <fgu> chromium 3.3 sec...FFX 3.6.10 8 sec...

  • <asac> fgu: that was the chromium-browser package from archive, right?

  • <fgu> no, I need to re-test it with your package

  • <asac> ok ... would be interesting

  • <fgu> it was from the build.chromium site

  • <fgu> nightly build

  • <fgu> yes, I will re-test the chromium-browser pack

[TOPIC] ST-E Board Bringup update (sudipj)

  • <sudipj> generated a patch which includes hwmwm + usb net

  • <sudipj> fgu can verify

  • <sudipj> HW acceleration is enabled on HREFP using ste-Mali user space libs

  • <sudipj> netbook-launcher-efl installed and up and running succesfully

  • <sudipj> nothing more

  • <asac> good. how can we get the kernel patches in? i think even if its not perfect we should apply it to the ste bsp tree on git.linaro.org so we get something working oob

  • <sudipj> yes

  • <sudipj> I can maintain on a seperate branch

  • <fgu> jcrigby suggest to send him patches, and for the defconfig just tell him what was missing

  • <sudipj> ok

  • <asac> i think the current branch is good for that. we will probably do a new one next cycle from what i heard

  • <asac> sudipj: ok, can you plesae send the patches to him and CC me?

  • <sudipj> yes, sure

  • [ACTION] sudipj to send patches for fbmem.c and usbnet to jcrigby and CC asac and fgu

  • <sudipj> should I send the patches through mail

  • <asac> sudipj: yeah. i think mail is good

  • <sudipj> ok

[TOPIC] Meego status update (kunal)

  • <kunal> with linaro kernel played video on meego rootfs

  • <kunal> it's playing fine

  • <kunal> it uses mali with X

  • <kunal> script for git to source tar was sent to review to asac

  • <kunal> now i'll try to create a meego rootfs from mego repository which uses framebuffer

  • <kunal> with linaro kernel

  • <kunal> and investigating how to build kernel rpms on an ubuntu host

  • <kunal> at present we use OBS server which is a big overhead

  • <kunal> that's it for meego update

  • <asac> right. so thats the most important part. the plan here is to work on waays that we can maintain overlay archive for meego so we can produce images using meego.com repo + our overlay (with kernel and other packages we need)

  • <asac> its kind of a development testbed ... once we have a good kernel etc. we would ask meego to pull this into their archive. but i think that comes later

  • <kunal> found way to create local repo on ubuntu machine

  • <kunal> it's possible with createrepo tool

  • <kunal> and the same path can be given in ks file

  • <asac> thats really awesome. if you write this up we can ask infrastructure team to setup daily kernel biuld and repo on linaro infrastructure

  • <kunal> will they use obs?

  • <asac> kunal: not fi we know how to build kernel without obs ;)

  • <kunal> yes taht possible but kernel with rpm packaging

  • <kunal> is what we need

  • <asac> thats what i mean

  • <asac> first step is to have a way to setup a meego chroot ... second step is to have instructions how to build kernel rpm without maintaining a full obs thing

  • <asac> but seems you are close.. so thats good

  • <asac> thanks kunal !!

[TOPIC] Linaro-handset-plasma (ian_brasil/rbelem)

  • <ian_brasil> closed out the FFe as plasma will not be updated now until maverick release. some seed changes (slimming down the size) which will continue next week

  • <asac> ian_brasil: are you working on ubuntu seeds? or linaro seeds?

  • <ian_brasil> ubuntu

  • <asac> ian_brasil: what was the FFe about? maybe we can still take that into linaro overlay

  • <ian_brasil> but we can do linaro too if needed

  • <asac> ian_brasil: we have forked that seed somehow. would be great if you could deliver those seed changes to us too

  • <ian_brasil> ok..give me anction point to look at that

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to send seed pointers and image build instructions for plasma to ian_brasil

  • <asac> i also managed to get plasma linaro working on beagle

  • <ian_brasil> asac: wow really

  • <asac> was a bit slow ... because it used mesa gl ... explicitly selecting software rendering was a bit better

  • <asac> what we really need though is to work on making it use gles 2

  • <asac> ian_brasil: so thats something you and rbelem might want to work with us next cycle: get plasma use gles rather than gl

  • <asac> at least on armel ;)

  • <ian_brasil> yes..that is something we can work on for sure

  • <asac> sounds good. rbelem will be in orlando, so we can discuss there

  • <asac> (at least thats what i heard)

  • <ian_brasil> yes

[TOPIC] Multimedia enablement update (Sachin/vraj)

  • <vraj> video playback is working on linaro kernel and linaro rootfs using open source bellagio

  • <vraj> file played is of 320X240

  • <vraj> while playing 720p file only half of frame is getting displayed on screen

  • <vraj> file is played using ste mpeg-4 h/w decoder

  • <rajeev> did u measure the performance

  • <vraj> no

  • <vraj> Multimedia package is compiled using STE toolchain

  • <vraj> thats all

  • <asac> i think performance is coming next cycle ... one topic for MM WG is to work on a standardized performance/valdation test suite

  • <fgu> vraj: linaro kernel is our git bsp-ux500 or the package from jcrigby ?

  • <asac> we could do some manual experiments if it simprotant. but i think as long as we can verify that we use hardware accell we already achieved a lot

  • <vraj> linaro kernel

  • <fgu> vraj: git or package

  • <vraj> git bsp ux 500

  • <asac> so from what i know we can even get this working mostly out of box ... needed is a foss out for b2r2 (fgu!) and we need to package bellagio open source

  • <fgu> vraj: ok

  • <vraj> yes

  • <fgu> the b2r2 code is already in our bsp

  • <asac> and then of course make a special proprietary hardware pack which includes multimedia codecs (have to find out how to distribute that)

  • <vraj> ste-x driver

  • <vraj> which uses b2r2 client library

  • <asac> fgu: right kernel b2r2 is in kernel ... i was referring to user space ... which boils down to ste-xorg driver

  • <fgu> asac: ok

  • [ACTION] asac and fgu to talk about ste-xorg driver foss out (without mali support for now)

  • <asac> gsachin: any update on camera etc. from your side?

  • <asac> thanks vraj

  • <gsachin> Hi asac I have already sent what enhancements I think are required in camera bin

  • <gsachin> can you also please include new guys joining for multimedia

  • <asac> gsachin: maybe you can give a quick summary for the wider audience here

  • <asac> gsachin: imo we should move all this discussion to linaro-dev malining list

  • <asac> its really good stuff and having this done in public can only help

  • <asac> now we started this discussion in private we could start a new thread on linaro-dev basically summarizing our findings ... then we can continue discussion there

  • <gsachin> so after discussing with Rob and Stephen we identifies that camera bin needs to be extended to include thumbnail generation

  • <asac> ack

  • <gsachin> apart from that all changes I identified will need to be vendor specific

  • <asac> rob is from TI ... stephen has which affiliation?

  • <gsachin> I dont know , Rob introduced me to Stephen who seems to be expert on camera bin

  • <asac> ah ;)

  • <asac> kk

  • <gsachin> Also I am discussing things on gst-omax with Rob

  • <gsachin> Can you please include all the multimedia experts in those mails

  • <asac> i can. but as i said above i think we should move this whole discussion to public mailing list ... at best by firing of a new mail summarizing previous discussion and then stating open points that need a resolution

  • <asac> vendor specific things are also important to discuss because that usually means we have to find ways that such vendor specific changes can live in a common tree

  • <gsachin> for eg Rob informed me that they donot use gst-omx for audio decoders and encoders which is not the case with everybody

  • <asac> e.g. add plugin feature ... or some other mechanism to have different runtime code paths depending on which hardware it runs

  • <asac> gsachin: interesting

  • <gsachin> I thinks camera bin already has some level of abstraction to implement vendor specific things

  • <asac> gsachin: runtime abstraction or compile time?

  • <asac> compile time is always bad ;)

  • <asac> and indicates that we have still work to do

  • <gsachin> but camera is so different for every platform that full abstraction may not be possible

  • <gsachin> what we can do is every vendor can maintain there patches over camera bin seperately

  • <gsachin> so lets make this also as topic of discussion and then see what can be done

  • <asac> thats not good enough ;) ... and is probably the worst case fall back ;)

  • <asac> yeah

  • <asac> gsachin: lets talk aobut this in our 1on1 call ... i need a bit more info to help

  • <gsachin> you can let me know about all the people to include in this mail

  • <asac> gsachin: linaro-dev@lists.linaro.org ... and all those that have multimedia title on the engineeringteam page ;)

  • <asac> ok we are overrunning

  • <gsachin> so that I can float this mail including everybody

  • <asac> thanks gsachin for the update

  • <asac> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/EngineeringTeam

  • <gsachin> ok i will do that

  • <asac> thanks gsachin

  • <asac> ok

  • <asac> next is

[TOPIC] AOB

  • <asac> (any other business) ... free discussion

  • <fgu> ST-Ericsson ux500 BSP contents

  • <asac> tgall_foo: you had a topic?

  • <asac> ok fgu hsa the mic

  • <fgu> "ST-Ericsson ux500 BSP contents" discussions with Arnd Bergman, Linus Walleij & Nicolas Pitre are useful to read to better understand ST-E BSP status & strategy:

  • <fgu> http://www.mail-archive.com/linaro-dev@lists.linaro.org/msg00749.html

  • <fgu> just a missing info from my BSP update part...

  • <asac> fgu: right. i am quite happy that we have an open discussion on this.

  • <asac> fgu: anything you would like to highlight from that thread?

  • <tgall_foo> asac, well two actually

  • <tgall_foo> so quickly .. MeeGo in a very early form I gather is running on Nexus One hardware ...

  • <asac> tgall_foo: natively or in a chroot (similar to ubuntu running on nexus one)?

  • <fgu> just some recent request to get future sync between internal trees & git.linaro.org, and drivers status

  • <tgall_foo> asac, do you think it'd be worth spending some time to looking into this morning to see if perhaps the Nexus One via MeeGo might advance some of our oFono work ? ( I actually have 2 Nexus Ones)

  • <tgall_foo> asac, that's a good question .. I haven't done more than about 5 minutes of googling on the topic so I've no idea what they are doing or how far they've gotten

  • <asac> tgall_foo: i doubt there are any free drivers for telephony for n1

  • <asac> tgall_foo: i think its definitly worth investing a couple of hours

  • <tgall_foo> ok

  • <asac> to get a better opinion

  • <asac> but i really think its unlikely

  • <tgall_foo> asac I'm sure you're right ... on the n900 front any progress ?

  • <fgu> http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/MeeGo-Gets-Ported-to-Additional-Smartphones

  • <asac> fgu: its really good to see discussion about synching of internal and git.linaro.org ... i am really excited to see what will happen there

  • <fgu> is what you are refering to ?

  • <asac> tgall_foo: i tried ... and something didnt work with my receipt address. i am tempted to just bring those to UDS for you

  • <asac> receipt/billing

  • <tgall_foo> asac, also for the remaining changes for alip, basically I have the live-helper config changes that I'll put up for review after the meeting ... and then the linaro-alip-default-settings package that I've created a ffe bug for

  • <asac> tgall_foo: any feedback on the ffe bug yet? poke JamieBennett about it please

  • <tgall_foo> asac, no feedback on the bug yet that I've seen but I just opened it yesterday but today is a good day to pester ;-)

  • <asac> right. directly pester jamiebennett ;) he has plenty of time usually :-P

  • <asac> ok i think we are well over time and should adjourne

  • <tgall_foo> asac, for the live-helper changes who is the right person to talk to to get them through the process ?

  • <asac> and take the discussion offline

  • <tgall_foo> k thanks

  • <asac> tgall_foo: lets talk in #linaro on that

  • <tgall_foo> ok thanks

  • Meeting finished at 14:14.

Actions

  • [ACTION] asac to create a ste enablement project or get anmar/scottb to do that

  • [ACTION] vraj and gsachin to investigate if and how to make gst-launch work for mem 2 mem + display to video at the same time

  • [ACTION] fgu to ensure that jcrigby lands the patches and rolls new packages

  • [ACTION] sudipj to send patches for fbmem.c and usbnet to jcrigby and CC asac and fgu

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to send seed pointers and image build instructions for plasma to ian_brasil

  • [ACTION] asac and fgu to talk about ste-xorg driver foss out (without mali support for now)

Team Work - Detailed

Alexander Sack (asac)

Alexandros Frantzis (alf)

  • Created and subsequently updated mutter packages that don't directly depend on GL. They use the exposed cogl_texture_pixmap API from clutter-1.0-linaro.
  • Created clutk packages that include Jammy's gles2 changes.
  • Updated test definitions for new abrek API.
  • Filed bugs to get es2gears and qt4-qws (and apps) into overlay PPA.
  • Investigating mutter sgx crashes and trying to find a combination of options/drivers etc that works.
    • Ported linaro patches to clutter-1.4 to see if it improves things. It doesn't.

Frederick Gueydon (fgu)

  • New flashkit delivered on my account
  • uboot 2010.09rc1.1-ubuntu3 with John Rigby patches + small patches running now on href. Patches sent to John.
  • Changes in the linaro-media-create script: patch sent to asac but need to test Vincent Guittot new release to get it work oob.
  • Test Sudip patches for X server and defconfig, hwmem & usbnet were missing. (New patch received today to be tested)

  • Test all this on href with linaro headless image for bsp-ux500 from 27 sept.
  • LXDE just installed as a test, small recent chromium browser sunspider test over ssh (7.0.537.0 (60790)).

Jammy Zhou (jazh)

  • make clutk work with mesa 7.9 and sgx drivers by using cogl_begin_gl/cogl_end_gl model
  • when run test-clutk-perf, the ubuntu logos are surrounded with a black rectangle, which seems again cogl/raw gles2 interleave issue, no good solution now
  • mutter can work with FSL driver now, but has some problem with mesa driver
  • there is still segmentation fault when run unity with mutter

Kunal Goel (kunal)

  • uboot changes for mmc boot
  • script for converting git to source tar for rpm package
  • video playback on meego rootfs with linaro kernel

Sachin Gupta (Sachin)

  • Analyzed camera bin for suitability to STE architecture and sent feedback to Rob
  • Analysis of gst-openmax branch from TI ongoing

Sudip Jain (sudipj)

  • X started using xorg-fbdev driver
  • kernel patch needs refinement, to be released ASAP
  • X started with hw accleration using ste-mali library
  • netbook-launcher-efl running succesfully on HREF

Tom Gall (tgall_foo)

  • linaro-alip default linaro user created, boots into X by default
  • linaro-alip diet reduced tar.bz size by ~100meg, merge accepted
  • linaro-alip-default-settings FFe bug created, 649873
  • live helper changes for linaro-alip, need to touch base with asac
  • no progress on ofono, (no hardware) tho have noticed MeeGo on Nexus One might be an interesting option to consider

Vishal Raj (vraj)

  • video playback is working using gst-launch on linaro kernel, linaro rootfs and open source bellagio core
  • video is played using STE h/w decoder(mpeg-4)
  • STE h/w decoder decodes data into STE proprietary format(YUV 420mbtiled), so it requires B2R2 for color conversion to render to display

  • video is rendered to screen using STE X driver(part of X), which internally uses b2r2 for rendering

Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-09-29 (last modified 2010-09-29 15:13:30)