Time/Place

  • Place: #linaro-meeting on irc.freenode.net

  • Time: Wednesday at 1300 UTC

Agenda

Standing Agenda

Agenda Additions

(add your agenda item here; mark the agenda item with your (nick), so we know who asked for this)

Actions from Last week

  • [INPROGRESS] asac to help unblocking flashkit

  • [INPROGRESS] everyone to clarify their LDS travel and report back in private to asac

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo will start to put together an n900 wiki page

  • [ACTION] fgu_ to continue pursuing ST-Ericsson usbmodems with voice/sms capabilities

  • [INPROGRESS] fgu_ to talk to lool and jcrigby on his defconfig alignment plans and report back

  • [ACTION] fgu and kunal work on installation issues of linaro-netbook-efl/-alip etc.

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to move board bringup topic to sudipj

  • [ACTION] sudipj to sync with jcrigby about status of ste kernel packages

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to make jazh main owner of graphics update

  • [ACTION] asac alf and jazh to look at ClutterVertex struct and evaluate the content and how this can be mapped to vertex shaders

  • [ACTION] asac to send mail to rbelem and ian brasil if they still want their slot

  • [ACTION] asac to clarify ownership of eclipse with lool

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to add Meego status update (kunal) to standing items

Minutes

asac called the meeting to order at 13:05 UTC.

Actions from Last week

  • [DONE] asac to help unblocking flashkit

  • this is done in some way. i gave fgu info how to do a license wrap installer ;)

  • [INPROGRESS] everyone to clarify their LDS travel and report back in private to asac

  • [INPROGRESS] tgall_foo will start to put together an n900 wiki page

  • <asac> Refactor action to [ACTION] tgall_foo to fill up n900 wiki page; especially add references to kernel source and telephony drivers

  • [SCRATCHED] fgu_ to continue pursuing ST-Ericsson usbmodems with voice/sms capabilities

  • <fgu> no news on stericsson usb modem last week

  • <asac> should we remove that from action list? i think we can look into that next cycle

  • <asac> ok lets scratch it

  • [DONE] fgu_ to talk to lool and jcrigby on his defconfig alignment plans and report back

  • <fgu> KernelDeconfigPolicyDraft: received feedback from npitre, need to modify the wiki page accordingly.

  • <fgu> maybe also soon feedback from lool

  • https://wiki.linaro.org/KernelConfigPolicyDraft

  • [INPROGRESS] fgu and kunal work on installation issues of linaro-netbook-efl/-alip etc.

  • <kunal> blocked due to fbdev

  • <asac> do we still see the odd unpack issues? was that a kernel patch?

  • <asac> kunal: right. but i think this was about you getting errors when running apt-get install linaro-alip for instance

  • <kunal> that was coming

  • <kunal> i think you said we wait till we get daily builds

  • <asac> well, i said this wont be a problem for testing alip, but i didnt mean to say that this issue can be ignored completely :-P

  • <asac> this looked like basic storage issues ... so we should definitly escalate or try to fix

  • <asac> i think we will soon get there when we have flash-kit etc. and more linaroers can start using ST-E boards

  • [DONE] tgall_foo to move board bringup topic to sudipj

  • [DONE] sudipj to sync with jcrigby about status of ste kernel packages

  • <asac> (we have packages in the linaro-maintainers overlay ppa and we already have headless images that will soon be mirrored to snapshots.linaro.org

  • <asac> [LINK] https://edge.launchpad.net/~linaro-maintainers/+archive/kernel

  • [DONE] tgall_foo to make jazh main owner of graphics update

  • [DONE] asac alf and jazh to look at ClutterVertex struct and evaluate the content and how this can be mapped to vertex shaders

  • resolved by jazh himself ;)

  • [ACTION] asac to send mail to rbelem and ian brasil if they still want their slot

  • [ACTION] asac to clarify ownership of eclipse with lool

  • eclipse is on plan for next cycle most likely in some form, so we will soon find out
  • [DONE] tgall_foo to add Meego status update (kunal) to standing items

[TOPIC] Spec Status (asac)

  • [LINK] http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/linaro-user-platforms.html

  • <asac> so work item tracker looks good still, but its also lying due to our special release cycle

  • <asac> we enter final freeze tomorrow ... so from there on we can only add things that either dont impact our core deliverables or fix important bugs

  • <asac> uploads to archive and overlay ppa need blessing from release team (jamiebennett leads that, but me, slangasek and lool can also give blessing)

  • <asac> (this is not really relevant for ST-E board landing as the work happens more or less outside of the "official linaro archives"

  • [ACTION] asac to talk to rbelem about his WIs

  • <tgall_foo> asac, I presume that won't affect seed work either ?

  • <tgall_foo> or *-default-settings type packages

  • <asac> tgall_foo: we upload seeds to overlay so it needs review by release team

  • <asac> tgall_foo: its easier to get changes in for seeds that are not about headless though.

  • <asac> but still that needs to be reviewed ... but its not a problem. usually filing a bug with the diff and if noone replies poking JamieBennett or me or so helps

  • <JamieBennett> asac: right, also subscribe linaro-release to the bug helps

  • <asac> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Process/Cycle/FreezeExceptionProcess

[TOPIC] Image status (kunal)

  • <asac> i really hope that ST-E headless gets on snapshots.linaro.org today ... then we can just fix linaro-media-create and can move on ;)

  • <kunal> waht abt netbook image, when can we expect that?

  • <tgall_foo> broken builds affected 9/12-9/14 at least ... xloader and uboot.bin were upgraded individually so they were not in sync and thus causing problems

  • <asac> kunal: i am trying a live-helper build to check that all is fine here locally after meeting ... if so, we will get this rolled to image builders really soon

  • <tgall_foo> bugs 630283 and 636895 -- https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linux-linaro/+bug/636895

  • <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: if you confirm we are OK now can you comment on the bugs saying so :)

[TOPIC] * ST-E BSP update (fgu)

  • <fgu> flashkit installer ongoing

  • <fgu> pure kernel work will be better in a few days with Linus Walleij on board soon to work with arnd...

  • <asac> what fixes are we working on? should we file bugs in launchpad to track the ongoing investigations?

  • <fgu> I don't think so.

  • <asac> you dont think so? thats interesting ;)

  • <fgu> I have fwd a mail on linaro-dev

  • <fgu> fix we are working on ? sorry..

  • <asac> i really think we need a way to track problems with kernel and images

  • <fgu> we...ST-E or linaro

  • <asac> you are linaro

  • <asac> we all are linaro ;)

  • <fgu> yes but bug fixes for x etc...and meego alignement...

  • <fgu> it's still st-e today...

  • <asac> i want to file bugs for the bsp kernel we have now packaged so we can solve them and track them ;)

  • <fgu> the latest meego pack I have seen, they have move for example to a new DMA framework

  • <fgu> as we were saying yesterday on the phone, misalignement between internal st-e and linaro ux500 bsp is more than expected I think...

  • <asac> thats fine. still we need to track issues that we see in whatever we have currently delivered

  • <fgu> I don't want to avoid any bug filling on our bsp....it's just that we(I today) need to check all the time if we are not may be seeing things that have been fixed on meego side..

  • <asac> thats clear. but we can perfectly document that in bugs ;)

  • <asac> so lets do that ;) ... i have to clarify where to file these

  • <fgu> ok then...

  • [ACTION] asac to find out how to best file ste bsp board enabling bugs

[TOPIC] ST-E Board Bringup update (sudipj)

  • <sudipj> Installed xserver-xorg-video-fbdev

  • <sudipj> linaro xorg-fbdev driver is not compatible with STE-MCDE driver

  • <sudipj> relevant changes for MCDE are required in fbdev.c and then build the package inside arm-chroot.

  • <sudipj> and further test

  • <asac> yeah thats great finding

  • <asac> lets hope it fixes our fbdev problem

  • <sudipj> fbcon(non graphical display) is disabled by default in the ste-kernel

  • <asac> oh that was fixed? impressive

  • <asac> what was the problem? config?

  • <sudipj> If FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is enabled in the kernel config, I can see linux-logo(penguins) but no text.

  • <asac> oh sorry i misread

  • <asac> so thats still a problem.

  • <sudipj> yeah, Working with the graphics team on this issue

  • <asac> ok. maybe its really just a simple config ?

  • <asac> sudipj: could you try the kernel package we have in our ppa?

  • <asac> i think we should really move towards trying this as the primary source, so that we can file bugs and fix things in a way that benefits everyone

  • <sudipj> I think the status will be same

  • <sudipj> ok, I'll do

  • <asac> right. you _think_

  • <asac> but we dont know. cool

  • <sudipj> verify again

  • [ACTION] sudipj to test ste kernel packages from https://edge.launchpad.net/~linaro-maintainers/+archive/kernel

  • <asac> good thanks. so as soon as we have X11 running we can really move towards exciting parts of the board bringup ;)

[TOPIC] Graphics Update (jazh)

  • <jazh> this week several problems have been fixed

  • <jazh> + Normalize clutter vertex positions to adapt to the vertex shader

  • <jazh> +Use GL_TRIANGLE_FAN to implement original used GL_QUADS primitive

  • <jazh> + Fix render to cached texture problems

  • <jazh> but there are still three issues left

  • <asac> feels like we are close ;)

  • <jazh> + crash happens at the end of test-clutk (after "/SurfaceBlur/surface-blur" test suite), seems an upstream problem

  • <jazh> + GL error happens for glBindFramebuffer at "/Effect/Animation/Signals" test suite of test-clutk

  • <asac> that happens with desktop-gl as well, right?

  • <asac> yeah ... that one is a bit scary ... could it be that its your drivers?

  • <jazh> the first happens with desktop-gl

  • <jazh> for the latter, the error actually doesn;t happen in glBindFramebuffer after debugging into gles2 driver

  • <jazh> the GL error should be caused by some previous GL calls in clutter, for which no CheckGLErrors is called

  • <asac> did you spot where that is? probably interesting why tha tone errors in first place

  • <asac> (and of course GLERrors should be properly handled i guess)

  • <jazh> I think it is one problem between cogl and raw gl

  • <jazh> And there is another cogl/raw gl problem that clutter_actor_paint affects raw gles2 rendering

  • <asac> ok, but you have still ideas what to debug/look for?

  • <jazh> It is hard for me to figure out the exact point in clutter

  • <asac> ok ... if you dont find something by tomorrow let me know and we can see if we can help to instrumentize it ... or ask someone upstream

  • <asac> thanks jazh ... seems you are making good progress; lets hope that in the end things come together nicely

  • <jazh> no good idea currently;(

  • <asac> one good news before we continue: we are close to get public distributable drivers for omap3/beagle ... at least in this way we can also debug things in the public ... or verify if something is driver by trying on different board

  • <asac> thanks jazh !

  • <jazh> hope we can solve left issues;)

[TOPIC] Meego status update (kunal)

  • <kunal> built the kernel and uboot rpms on local obs server

  • <asac> (rearranged order because kunal has to catch a cab)

  • <kunal> now trying to make a script to link git and obs server

  • <kunal> we have tar and spec ready with script

  • <asac> were you able to make an image from the kernel ?

  • <kunal> yes

  • <asac> ok that didnt work because of drivers i assume?

  • <kunal> obs gives us binary rpm which has uimage

  • <kunal> lib/modules

  • <kunal> i tried with linaro headless

  • <asac> did you try to make a meego image from it?

  • <kunal> it same issue as discussed by Sudip

  • <asac> meego core?

  • <asac> can you try that?

  • <kunal> with meego core i am getting startx

  • <kunal> i see xterm on screen fine

  • <asac> with the linaro kernel in rpm?

  • <kunal> yes

  • <asac> (just to confirm)

  • <asac> great

  • <asac> so i have an action to get info about how to build a kernel rpm _outside_ of obs

  • <asac> if you could also try to find info on this topic that would be great ...

  • <kunal> but same uimage with linaroheadless nothing come on screen

  • <tgall_foo> wouldn't that just be normal rpm build commands ?

  • <asac> i would hope ew just need a meego base chroot and can then use some rpmbuild commands to build stuff

  • <asac> tgall_foo: right... commands is one problem; the other is how to get a good rootfs like with debootstrap

  • <kunal> meego specific

  • <asac> we could probably just make a "normal" meego core image though

  • <asac> and get the rootfs from there

  • <tgall_foo> asac, well for building a kernel, a chroot isn't that important ... the kernel build system does take care of itself

  • <asac> kunal: yeah. sudipj mentioned that the problem with framebuffer in ubuntu is that the fbdev driver has to set colormap (or not set it actually)

  • <asac> kunal: i think it might make sense to see what driver meego uses

  • <asac> and if they are also using fddev we could take their change/patch

  • <kunal> it uses xorg ste x driver

  • <asac> ok. then they dont have that fix

  • <sudipj> meego doesn't use fbdev driver

  • <kunal> it uses mali but we need fbdev

  • <asac> anyway thanks. lets find out how to biuld stuff without obs and get our kernel daily packaged on linaor infrastructure ... and then we ship a .ks file alongside that allows us to produce images ;)

  • <asac> sudipj: ack

  • <asac> maybe one update from my side. we probably will get feedback meego folks about their rebuild with our toolchain late this week or next week.

[TOPIC] Multimedia enablement update (Sachin/vraj)

  • <gsachin> still working on understanding how STEs OMX camera components can be used in camera bin

  • <asac> right. what are the problems you are facing there?

  • <gsachin> will need some time to figure out all camera use cases using camera bin

  • <gsachin> no problems as such

  • <asac> ok ... is there anything we could provide you from the platform to do this more efficiently?

  • <asac> e.g. is anything missing in linnaro archive that you would like to see easily installable?

  • <gsachin> only thing is we need to schedule meeting with Rob

  • <asac> if you are still reading code thats fine. just ask if you need something :) ... but i guess this all is blocked on a) no X (fbdev) and b) no bellagio integrated yet

  • <asac> gsachin: right. let me do that now

  • <gsachin> once I have analyzed what needs to be changed in camera bin for it to be suitable to us

  • <asac> gsachin: friday 1300 UTC?

  • <asac> thats a bit late for you, but rob is from texas

  • <gsachin> friday is too early

  • <asac> let me know ... otherwise i can ask if 1200 UTC is good

  • <asac> hmm. ok

  • <gsachin> sometime next week

  • <gsachin> let me confirm you on friday

  • <asac> gsachin: ok. i can connect you then with rob. you need to talk to yourself then as i will be off all next week

  • <asac> guess thats fine though. having notes from that call would be good though

  • <asac> thanks

  • <gsachin> yes thats fine

  • <gsachin> I already raised some things on Monday call

  • <asac> ok thanks gsachin

  • <asac> vraj: anything from your side?

  • <gsachin> will prepare a comprehensive list and discuss with Rob

  • <vraj> yes

  • <asac> shoot!!

  • <vraj> ste h/w components are getting registered on linaro rootfs with 2.6.34 kernel using STE bellagio core -> completed

  • <vraj> now same activity will be done using open source bellagio core and do modification in open source bellagio core, if required -> ongoing

  • <asac> great. is your setup good enough to test this? i think i did a make install to /home/.../ for open source bellagio

  • <asac> so it should work somehow ;)

  • <vraj> yes

  • <vraj> open source bellagio is working with open source comp.

  • <asac> great. sounds like its ongoing ... i assume you were busy on this and didnt try mem2mem yet?

  • <vraj> but not with ste - ens loader

  • <vraj> i am looking into it

  • <asac> vraj: hmm. does it load it?

  • <vraj> no

  • <asac> vraj: maybe your .omxloader file is wrong?

  • <vraj> i am checking all these things

  • <asac> kk

  • <asac> sounds good.

  • <asac> vraj: how about mem2mem ... did you get that working already when you had bellagio core with 2.6.34 set up?

  • <asac> or does that require gstreamer etc.?

  • <vraj> no, i have not tried mem2mem

  • <vraj> it does not require gstreamer

  • <asac> but kernel module, right?

  • <vraj> i moved on the activity of integrating open source bellagio with ste-ens loader

  • <asac> right thats good

  • <asac> fgu: can you help vraj to get a foss out for the multimedia related kernel modules? ... goal is to apply those in bsp kernel tree

  • <asac> i think we can do that in parallel ;)

  • <vraj> regarding CM and trace driver

  • <vraj> which are required by multimedia package

  • [ACTION] fgu to look into kernel modules foss out for multimedia -> and get those included in bsp kernel tree

  • <asac> we can skip plasma-handset status update ... i have the action to clarify if we can drop it

[TOPIC] AOB

  • <asac> PLEASE add your status updates for the week by END of today to that wiki page

  • <tgall_foo> https://wiki.linaro.org/Ofono/n900 <-- I've fleshed this out... plenty of nitdroid & meego info

[09:06] <asac> tgall_foo will send it out tomorrow morning

Meeting finished at 14:08.

Actions

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to fill up n900 wiki page; especially add references to kernel source and telephony drivers

  • [ACTION] asac to send mail to rbelem and ian brasil if they still want their slot

  • [ACTION] asac to talk to rbelem about his WIs

  • [ACTION] asac to find out how to best file ste bsp board enabling bugs

  • [ACTION] sudipj to test ste kernel packages from https://edge.launchpad.net/~linaro-maintainers/+archive/kernel

  • [ACTION] fgu to look into kernel modules foss out for multimedia -> and get those included in bsp kernel tree

Team Work - Detailed

Alexander Sack (asac)

  • in india
  • working on omax/bellagio plan and ST-E mm pack
  • 11.05 planning
  • discussion and preparations for topic discussion at TSC
  • live-helper fixes to allow rootfs production without kernel flavour
  • bring up daily builds for alip, netbook-efl head dailies; request sync from IS

Alexandros Frantzis (alf)

  • Investigated why some repositories are ignored by germinate
    • Provided patch to fix issue (LP #634831).
    • Created germinate package that includes the fix (ppa:linaro-user-platforms/staging).
  • Created clutter packages that export a rectangle texture API (ppa:afrantzis/clutter-1.2, lp:~linaro-user-platforms/ubuntu/maverick/clutter-1.0/clutter-1.0-texture-rectangle).
  • Started fixing clutk, mutter packages so that the build with the experimental clutter packages.
  • Filed FFe for linaro-meta to use the updated version of linaro-seeds (with a workaround for LP: #629337).
  • Updated clutter packages with fix for clutk-test crash (LP: #614415).

Frederick Gueydon (fgu)

  • 2 days off last week & sick

  • flashkit "light" received still missing the "click-through-license" display before install and deployment
  • KernelDefconfigPolicy work on-going with lool & npitre help.

  • Update my previous arm-linux-gnueabi- toolchain from emdebian to hrw gcc-4.5.1 toolchain.

Jammy Zhou (jazh)

  • Solved Issues for clutk
    • Normalize clutter vertex positions to adapt to the vertex shader
    • Use GL_TRIANGLE_FAN to implement original used GL_QUADS primitive, which is not supported by gles2
    • Comment out cogl_flush() call in some functions (such as ctk_effect_blur_paint) to make sure following gles2 rendering can be shown
    • Fix render to cached texture problems
    • run test-clutk, there is crash at "/Effect/Animation/Animation" test suite (fixed by upstream clutter patch)
  • Un-resolved issues for clutk
    • crash happens at the end of test-clutk (after "/SurfaceBlur/surface-blur" test suite), seems an upstream problem.
    • GL error happens for glBindFramebuffer at "/Effect/Animation/Signals" test suite of test-clutk, similar problem happens when run test-clutk-perf for blur effects. After debugging into the gles2 driver, the error doesn't happen in glBindFramebuffer. This means that the GL error is triggered by previous GL calls.(It should be related to the state sync between cogl and raw GL)
    • clutter_actor_paint affects raw gles2 rendering??The gles2 rendering cannot be continuously shown.

Kunal Goel (kunal)

  • build kernel and uboot rpm on OBS server
  • Working on script to make tar and spec file from GIT

Sachin Gupta (Sachin)

Sudip Jain (sudipj)

  • Modify the xorg-fbdev driver compatible for ste-mcde driver
  • Re-build and test the modified fbdev with Linaro rootfs
  • Work with the ste-kernel team to get framebuffer console working.

Tom Gall (tgall_foo)

  • linaro-alip updated for linaro-alip-default-settings, changes pushed to lp and merge proposal opened
  • linaro-alip-default-settings in lp
  • filed several bugs about beagle xm issues
  • been aiding torez, jcrigby et al on debug / test
  • started eclipse info page
  • started n900 info page

Vishal Raj (vraj)

  • h/w codecs(STE multimedia package) are getting registered with 2.6.34 kernel and Linaro rootfs

Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-09-15 (last modified 2010-09-16 15:47:32)