Time/Place

  • Place: #linaro-meeting on irc.freenode.net

  • Time: Wednesday at 1300 UTC

Agenda

Standing Agenda

Agenda Additions

(add your agenda item here; mark the agenda item with your (nick), so we know who asked for this)

  • eclipse based IDE (tgall_foo)

Actions from Last week

  • [ACTION] asac to help unblocking flashkit

  • [INPROGRESS] everyone to clarify their LDS travel and report back in private to asac

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo will start to put together an n900 wiki page

  • [ACTION] fgu_ to continue pursuing ST-Ericsson usbmodems with voice/sms capabilities

  • [ACTION] fgu_ to work with sudipj to get X11 with fbdev working; next: try linaro-netbook-efl (just install and start) and linaro-alip

  • [INPROGRESS] fgu_ to talk to lool and jcrigby on his defconfig alignment plans and report back

  • [ACTION] asac to enable head image builds

  • [ACTION] asac to cleanup work items for beta with alf

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to update meeting template for new workitem urls (prefix = linaro- instead of arm-)

  • [ACTION] alf and tgall_foo to verify the head seeds in vbox

  • [ACTION] fgu and kunal work on installation issues of linaro-netbook-efl/-alip etc.

Minutes

* vishal is not feeling well and kunal is currently stuck in traffic

* asac called the meeting to order at 1305 UTC

review actions from last meeting

  • [INPROGRESS] asac to help unblocking flashkit

    • asac raised this to ste management and work is on going.
  • [INPROGRESS] everyone to clarify their LDS travel and report back in private to asac

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo will start to put together an n900 wiki page

    • tgall_foo no progress to report yet
  • [ACTION] fgu_ to continue pursuing ST-Ericsson usbmodems with voice/sms capabilities

    • email off to fgu_ asking for status, sent 9/8
  • [ACTION] fgu_ to work with sudipj to get X11 with fbdev working; next: try linaro-netbook-efl (just install and start) and linaro-alip

    • being worked on as high priority, no need to carry action forward
    • sudipj had some machine issues
  • [INPROGRESS] fgu_ to talk to lool and jcrigby on his defconfig alignment plans and report back

  • [DONE] asac to enable head image builds

  • [DONE] asac to cleanup work items for beta with alf

  • [DONE] tgall_foo to update meeting template for new workitem urls (prefix = linaro- instead of arm-)

  • [DONE] alf and tgall_foo to verify the head seeds in vbox

  • [ACTION] fgu and kunal work on installation issues of linaro-netbook-efl/-alip etc.

Spec Status (asac)

Image status (kunal)

  • <asac> let me cover this

  • <asac> so headless images are good. we have bugs with the heads images and they needs to be synched to snapshots -> i hope this will happen swiftly

ST-E BSP update (fgu)

  • asac reported :bsp kernel is improving, there are a bunch of bugs. in parallel we are working in making our kernel available and test with meego here in noida. Lets see if we get a meego core image this week. On top we will complete the list of bsp components that are not in the kernel this week here with rajeev. Also trying to work on licensing as much as possible

ST-E Board Bringup update (sudipj)

  • asac suggested that this topic is owned by sudipj in future. he is working on getting the x11 etc. running, so asac thinks he is a better match from now on
  • <asac> anyway, problem is still that kernel has problems with fbdev ... so we can't start heads atm

  • <asac> also packaging for ste isnt available yet iirc.

  • <sudipj> we are working on it

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to move board bringup topic to sudipj

  • [ACTION] sudipj to sync with jcrigby about status of ste kernel packages

Graphics Update (jazh)

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to make jazh main owner of graphics update

  • <jazh> I am still struggling for the problem to implement programmable vertex shader for gles2 in fixed vertex pipeline of clutk and clutter/cogl

  • Have sent out the mail to graphics team about this issue for discussion, no reply yet. ;(
  • <jazh> and i am checking cogl APIs

  • <jazh> And it seems that there is another toolkit based on clutter Mx Toolkit

  • <jazh> this toolkit is used by Meego, and cogl is used directly

  • <asac> jazh: maybe alf can help you on your questions from the mail? he knows a lot about all this clutter/cogl mess

  • <alf> I think a good first step would be to do a quick experiment and make sure that using Cogl fixed-pipeline wrappers do indeed work

  • <asac> alf: would be great to give jazh just a few ideas ... and then he can sort out whats bets

  • <jazh> asac: that's great, thanks alf in advance;)

asac> jazh: so meego is interesting ... are they using clutter in qt?

  • <asac> or is that for meego netbook?

  • <asac> jazh: alf: what are the "fixed pipeline wrappers actually doing?

  • <jazh> asac: that's for meego netbook, I think

  • <asac> i think its still interesting.

  • <asac> jazh: does the mx toolkit do something similar that we do in clutk?

  • <jazh> asac: yes, it provides provides support for widgests such as buttons, menus,...

  • <jazh> and I have tried it on MX51, it basically works

  • <alf> asac: (about wrappers) They implement a fixed-pipeline API for ES2 that doesn't support fixed-pipeline functions natively

  • <asac> alf: so they define symbols like glXXXX ?

  • <jazh> asac: function re-definition is used for those glXXX functions, let me find an example

  • <alf> the functions are called _cogl_wrap_glPushMatrix () but as jazh said they are remapped (optionally) with #defines

  • <jazh> #define glDrawArrays _cogl_wrap_glDrawArrays

  • <jazh> when compile, glDrawArrays is replaced by the wrapper function

  • <asac> so are we missing some functions in cogl for that? or are they just not exported?

  • <alf> of course all these are for internal use only

  • <asac> jazh: so you think it would be possible to move the fixed pipeline code to real cogl /clutter api? or would it be easier to export the cogl functions?

  • <jazh> asac: basically I think it's ok, but more investigation is needed;)

  • <alf> I am all for *not* exporting them if there is a cleaner way...

  • <asac> jazh: right. remember that we dont have that much time. so we could have a) a quick solution for now

  • <asac> and b) a long term plan what to do about this

  • <jazh> for current cogl APIs, that should be enough, I think

  • <asac> jazh: how many functions are there that have this fixed pipeline code?

  • <jazh> asac: so what's the deadline? migrate to cogl may need more time

  • <asac> jazh: deadline is really yesterday ;)

  • <asac> i mean having something in 1 week would be really helpful

  • <asac> 1.5 weeks at most

  • <jazh> asac: oh no... fixed pipeline is used in most functions

  • <jazh> asac: ok, so I will speed up this, and use cogl totally may be a long plan

  • <asac> ok ... so short plan is to use cogl wrappers?

  • <asac> are there enough wrappers or would we need to add more?

  • <jazh> asac: short plan is to emulate the fixd pipeline in the vertex shader if possible

  • <asac> ok. do you see particular tricky parts=?

  • <jazh> asac: as I mentioned in the email, I am not sure how to transform the vertex postion parameters for those ctk functions

  • <jazh> to make it work with vertex shader

  • [ACTION] asac alf and jazh to look at ClutterVertex struct and evaluate the content and how this can be mapped to vertex shaders

  • <asac> alf: any news on the clutter functions for texture np2?

  • <asac> i think thats the main issue left on mutter

  • <alf> I am very close on exporting a clutter_texture_rectangle API backported from 1.3, hopefully tomorrow I can have some experimental packages

  • <asac> alf: ok ... maybe lets double check if that is all that is really missing for mutter (or are we sure)

  • <alf> we can just call these and drop dependency on direct gl

  • <asac> i thought its the only use of GL in mutter, but not 100% atm

  • <asac> ok thanks. that answers my question ;)

Multimedia enablement update (Sachin/vraj)

  • vraj is sick so is excused
  • asac lead the conversation: he explained what we discussed here for ST-Ericsson
    • package upstream/open-source bellagio
    • add patch that allows loaders as plugins
    • make ST-E loader an out of tree project that can be build and deployed from a separate source
    • later: add ability to probe whether a loader makes sense for a board (so we can basically deploy a XX loader and ST-E loader at the same time and the right HW codecs will get used based on the current board/drivers
    • next: discuss with ST-E bellagio experts and other vendors what could be done so that bellagio is more useful for all vendors
    • write open-source test that tests the full gstreamer/omax stack from mem to me (e.g. not require display drivers)
    • once we have a real xdriver for ST-E or someone else, write an test/verifcation app that ensures that all frames get displayed (and think about more sophisticated test apps)
  • http://omxil.sourceforge.net/ - bellagio upstream project

Linaro-handset-plasma (ian_brasil/rbelem)

  • [ACTION] asac to send mail to rbelem and ian brasil if they still want their slot

  • status is that plasma seed is there and that it was kind of verified (by alf or tgall_foo ???) cant remember
  • image build fails atm for the same reason as the other heads ... JamieBennett and asac are working on that

  • <tgall_foo> I think both of us did

Agenda Additions (see below)

Eclipse IDE question from tgall_foo * [ACTION] asac to clarify ownership of eclipse with lool

AOB

  • <asac>

    • a) everyone please remember to add your status update EOD today or tomorrow before tgall_foo wakes up ;)

    • b) we moved the board bring up status ownership to sudipj because kunal's work focuse currently shifts to meego etc.
    • <asac> so in turn i would like to add a standing item for "meego update (kunal)"

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to add Meego status update (kunal) to standing items

Meeting finished at 14:00.

Actions

  • [INPROGRESS] asac to help unblocking flashkit

  • [INPROGRESS] everyone to clarify their LDS travel and report back in private to asac

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo will start to put together an n900 wiki page

  • [ACTION] fgu_ to continue pursuing ST-Ericsson usbmodems with voice/sms capabilities

  • [INPROGRESS] fgu_ to talk to lool and jcrigby on his defconfig alignment plans and report back

  • [ACTION] fgu and kunal work on installation issues of linaro-netbook-efl/-alip etc.

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to move board bringup topic to sudipj

  • [ACTION] sudipj to sync with jcrigby about status of ste kernel packages

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to make jazh main owner of graphics update

  • [ACTION] asac alf and jazh to look at ClutterVertex struct and evaluate the content and how this can be mapped to vertex shaders

  • [ACTION] asac to send mail to rbelem and ian brasil if they still want their slot

  • [ACTION] asac to clarify ownership of eclipse with lool

  • [ACTION] tgall_foo to add Meego status update (kunal) to standing items

Team Work - Detailed

Alexander Sack (asac)

Alexandros Frantzis (alf)

  • Investigated why some packages are not included in our seeds. See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/germinate/+bug/629337

    • Updated linaro-seeds to explicitly declare all dependent seeds in the "Task-Seeds" field.
  • Verified linaro-netbook-efl and linaro-alip seeds in VirtualBox.

  • Cairo-perf packaging patches have been applied in debian for cairo-1.10. Created cairo-1.9 maverick packages with cairo-perf in PPA (ppa:afrantzis/staging, lp:~linaro-user-platforms/ubuntu/maverick/cairo/cairo.perf-utils).
  • Created clutter packages that ship cogl headers that don't reference any GL types or defines (ppa:afrantzis/clutter-1.2, lp:~linaro-user-platforms/ubuntu/maverick/clutter-1.0/clutter-1.0-cogl-defines).
  • Continuing investigation and experimentation on a way to provide a rectangle texture API in cogl. First experiments with backporting cogl_texture_rectangle code from 1.3 seem promising.

Frederick Gueydon (fgu)

  • ST-E BSP 2.6.34 delivered but still a lot of issues to get X up and running. No time this week to help Sudip properly on this.
  • Flashkit: a "light" flashkit with U-boot flash only received, but still missing "click-through-license" aspect. Working on.
  • Kernel Config Policy draft. Call with Loic last friday. Need to share with him and npitre what I have up to now.

Jammy Zhou (jazh)

  • Met problem to implement programmable vertex shader for gles2 in fixed vertex pipeline of clutk and clutter/cogl. Have sent out the mail to graphics team about this issue for discussion.
  • Check cogl APIs and related programming.
  • Push the clutk-gles2 branch with my patch to my launchapd account.
  • Try MxToolkit (clutter toolkit used by Meego) on MX51 board, the test applications can work.

Kunal Goel (kunal)

  • Tried linaro-alip & netbook-efl on STE board, there is kernel issue with fbdev

  • RPM Packaging for kernel and uboot on obs server

Sachin Gupta (Sachin)

Sudip Jain (Sudip)

  • Kernel does not have support for X.
  • Working with the kernel team to get it fixed ASAP
  • Start on hardware acceleration

Tom Gall (tgall_foo)

Vishal Raj (vraj)

  • (excused) sick leave

Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-09-08 (last modified 2010-09-09 04:02:41)