Include: Nothing found for "^## meetings$"!
Include: Nothing found for "^## end-meetings$"!
What hardware we support
Supported Developement Tools
We also maintain a set of how-to's related to cross-compiling
Out primary goal is to provide a common platform to use as the basis for Validation test heads and optimized hardware-specific builds. We work with a few teams to help make this happen:
Toolchain Working group - Validate and integrate a toolchain outputting code optimized for the common target instruction set.
Kernel Working group - Provide a test integration point for kernel consolidation, and bootloader consolidation.
Power Management Working group - Produce images that benefit from the work.
We have weekly meetings that anyone can attend. You can view the schedule and see logs of past meetings here.
We also meet face-to-face at Linaro Connect events.
- Actions from last meeting - Steve chasing
- Engineer progress reports - All team members
Work Item Progress and Team Issues discussion - Steve and JamieBennett questions to the team
- Any other business (AOB)
Past Action items
hrw to write improved test cases for QA tracker, to cover https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Ubuntu/EvaluationBuild/MemberDeliverables
- tgall_foo to seed a wiki page to discuss how to approach 1111 TR P1 (LEB as base for product builders)
Your Name <irc nick>
- Short bullet points of work you've done that week which convey progress and highlights which can be used to report on how the team is progressing as a whole.
- Your individual plans for the coming week(s).
- Your individual plans for the coming week(s).
Peter Pearse <ppearse>
- From 320 ALIP packages
- 56 Need patching to cross build
- 206 Build OOB
- 10 Staged build for gobject introspection
- 67 to do
- Cross remaining alip packages other than those dependent on gobject introspection.
- Attempt to cross gobject introspection.
- Just realized xdeb imported some binary packages during my auto build, rather than crossing them.
- Have now commented out all xdeb.cfg::native_import:
John Rigby <jcrigby>
- Addressed all issues from comments on U8500 U-Boot patches.
- Moved discussion on upstreaming Android Fastboot to u-boot list. Currently working on strawman design doc to facilitate discussion.
- As usual, I have a packaged version of latest linaro linux kernel but it has had no testing yet.
- Finish initial Fastboot on U-Boot design doc and send to U-Boot mailing list.
- Normal kernel package releasing.
- Investigate U8500 U-Boot mmc issues on some SD cards.
- Do I need to find a new upload sponsor?
Avik Sil <aviksil>
- lttng-modules package has been revised and put into linaro-maintainers overlay PPA
- Packaged new upstream release 0.19.9 of lttng-modules, but not yet put to my PPA
- Participated in Linaro 11.05 beta 2 testing
- Test latest lttng-modules package after it is added to linaro overlay
- Verify oprofile works well on panda board after the fix
- Uploading *source.changes file to my PPA using dput stalls
- cross-pkg-config support done
- tested multistrap and pdebuild-cross - still working in natty despite lack of attention
- investigated libidn build failures
- Upload xdeb
- Not going to get everything in blueprint done
Tom Gall <tgall>
- Off Friday + Monday as a result status is short
- libturbo-jpeg - awaiting feedback from Mandeep Kumar
- libav - awaiting feedback from Rony Nany
Helped Jamie update the manual testing information pages : https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/QA/TestCases
- Chromimum - gflags, gmock, google-glog done
- (gtest examined don't think we need)
- flimflam looks to be already packaged. Vectormath might be as well. validating both.
- Updating my chromium google recommended chroot.
- Images dowloaded of beta 2. Getting them onto SD currently.
- ltrace isn't working. Bug 771805
- Chromium-wm packaging continues
Riku Voipio <suihkulokki>
- Getting introduced to Linaro tools and processes
- Evaluate tracing tools from newcomper POV
- Write a getting started doc to wiki based on experiences so far
- Take over merging tasks from ppearse
- Lack of testing HW.
Meeting opened by slangasek at 15:01
<slangasek> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/Meetings/2011-04-27
slangasek waves to ppearse
<slangasek> [TOPIC] past action items
past action items
<slangasek> * hrw to write improved test cases for QA tracker, to cover https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Ubuntu/EvaluationBuild/MemberDeliverables
<slangasek> hrw's not here, so carried over
<wookey> I did wonder, as he wasn;t answering
<slangasek> yep, out on holiday
<slangasek> [TOPIC] Engineer progress reports
Engineer progress reports
<slangasek> you know the drill
<slangasek> $ echo $(shuf -e hrw jcrigby dmart wookey slangasek ppearse aviksil tgall_foo kunal fturgis suihkulokki)
<slangasek> hrw suihkulokki fturgis kunal aviksil wookey dmart ppearse jcrigby slangasek tgall_foo
<slangasek> suihkulokki: hey there! how's this week been?
<suihkulokki> Continued familiarizing with l-m-c and linaro-hwpack-create with Qemu
<suihkulokki> xdeb works also quite well, but didn't manage to get the linux-linaro kernel compiled with it..
<suihkulokki> Lack of of working hw for linaro made it not possible to try out any of the tracing stuff
<suihkulokki> I grabbed now a beagleboard B5, which has it's issues and iirc isn't supported?
<suihkulokki> that's in the nutshell
<slangasek> I'm not sure what the status of the B5 is - I know there were some late u-boot fixes to try to support it
<suihkulokki> Ok, then I'll try it out
<slangasek> suihkulokki: I think there's supposed to be a snowball en route to you - hasn't arrived yet?
<rsalveti> slangasek: I tested the fix at my b5 and it worked fine
<suihkulokki> I pinged asac earlier this today and he said it still wasn't sent
<rsalveti> at least it's already included at ubuntu
<slangasek> suihkulokki: ah, doh
<slangasek> xdeb> I haven't tried using it to build a kernel... for kernel builds I think a straight debuild -aarmel invocation is more typical. But if you see something to fix in xdeb to make kernel builds work, great
<rsalveti> suihkulokki: the problem with b5 is the lack of proper multi-read support, even with the fixed u-boot you could still see issues at the kernel
<wookey> jcrigby found that kernel packages need fixes to cross-build interenal tools
<wookey> not sure if those patches made it in
<wookey> once they are dpkg-buildpackage should work just like everything else
<kunal_> this week integrated review comments in smartt application by MMWG
<wookey> (not that it matters much as cross-building kernels is trivial anyway)
<suihkulokki> well, crosscompiling kernel without packagin is trivial
<kunal_> tried to test on panda board
<suihkulokki> the challenge is to modify an existing linaro kernel to something lmc will accept to the ime
<slangasek> suihkulokki: if it's not working for you, definitely check with jcrigby for the most recent runes
<wookey> (and cc me)
<kunal_> regarding the kwin packages the blueprint status says the testing is done, need to check with jammy
<slangasek> kunal_: what's the outcome of your testing on panda?
<kunal_> on panda bug is already there for hw events while running perf
<jcrigby> suihkulokki: https://wiki.linaro.org/Resources/HowTo/LinaroPackagedKernel
<kunal_> comment added by sachin for the same
<kunal_> so not able to run the application
<kunal_> in dmesg log it can't reserve memory for pmu
<slangasek> hmm, ok. do you have the bug number handy?
<aviksil> kunal_: you may want to try the latest linux-linaro with pmu/perf patch
<kunal_> i am using hw pack and image from latest build
<kunal_> can you share that patch
<kunal_> i'll try with that
<aviksil> kunal_: ok, i'll share it
<slangasek> ok, great
<slangasek> kunal_: anything else?
<kunal_> no, i'll mail the bug number
<aviksil> lttng-modules package has been revised and put into linaro-maintainers overlay PPA
<aviksil> Packaged new upstream release 0.19.9 of lttng-modules, but not yet put to my PPA
<aviksil> having issue in uploading by dput
<aviksil> not got any response from #launchpad
<slangasek> and the problem is consistently reproducible?
<aviksil> slangasek: yes
<aviksil> and finally, participated in Linaro 11.05 beta 2 testing
<slangasek> have you tried running strace / lsof on the dput process to see what it's doing when it stalls?
<aviksil> tested on panda board
<aviksil> slangasek: i tried strace
<aviksil> it stalls at recv(3,...)
<suihkulokki> have a firewall that blocks ftp?
<james_w> switching to/from sftp upload may help
<wookey> are you uploading from other end of ssh connection?
<aviksil> no, because other files are uploaded successfully
<aviksil> problem occurs only in .changes file
<aviksil> james_w: i'll try that
<aviksil> that's all from me
<slangasek> alright, thanks
<wookey> ssh -t has fixed prblems with dupload for me in the past
<wookey> maybe dput too?
<wookey> it appears to upload files then stalls forever
<wookey> days bank holiday so more drilling than hacking
<wookey> Changed cross-pkg-config support so wrapper provided by pkg-config
<wookey> links provided by gcc-default-armel-cross package. So only armel currently supported, but no cross-pollution of normal systems without cross-tools.
<wookey> Seems to work OK
<wookey> patches at:
<ubot2> Launchpad bug 771567 in pkg-config "cross-compiling wrapper support for pkg-config" [Undecided,New]
<ubot2> Launchpad bug 605189 in gcc-defaults-armel-cross "Provide symlinks for cross-compilers" [Undecided,New]
<wookey> steve, are you happy with that implementation?
<slangasek> in principle, but I've not had a chance to look at the code yet
<wookey> the gcc-related version number is a bit odd, and you don't get cross-pkg-config unless you install pkg0config-arm-linux-gnueabi package (continaing nothing but a link)
<slangasek> can you submit the pkg-config patch to the Debian BTS and get Tollef's take on it?
<wookey> OK, good idea
<wookey> ested multistrap and pdebuild-cross - does in fact still work on natty, despite out-of-date config
<wookey> Now back to working on xdeb to get 731079 fixed sharpish
<wookey> Seem to have accidentally acquired a GSOC student interested in bootstrapping
<wookey> that's it
<slangasek> I still think it would be better to shove it into the 'gcc' binary package so it's available opportunistically, without having to specially install another package
<slangasek> "accidentally", eh
<wookey> OK. the problem with that is adding pkg-config dependency to gcc package
<wookey> is that acceptable?
<slangasek> right, I think we should just ship a possibly dangling symlink
<wookey> I implemneted that first
<wookey> OK. I haven't investigated if anything bad happens there
<slangasek> things that look for but don't really need pkg-config for building should DTRT with a dangling symlink
<wookey> (e.g things testing for 'does triplet-pkg-config exist')
<wookey> one hopes so, I just wondered...
<slangasek> I could be wrong, but I guess it's a quick test, yes?
<wookey> I'm happy with either arrangement
<wookey> I can test with xdeb easily. I just wonder about some random package or autofoo doing odd things and going wrong
<wookey> I guess it's a but if a dangling symlink counts, so we should fix that if found
<wookey> OK. I'll send in a patch for that arangement too then
<slangasek> autoconf should behave consistently, so testing that should answer the common case
<wookey> are we sure it's better in 'gcc-cross' than in pkg-config?
<slangasek> other things may test in funny ways... but we can burn that bridge when we come to it
<slangasek> there's only one pkg-config but may be any number of cross compilers for different targets, so I thikn so
<ppearse> Just hacking away at the the alip packages as per my report....
<ppearse> < 50 to go - should finish all except gobject introspectors next week
<ppearse> Then spend UDS week on intenses contemplation of introspection
<wookey> nope - I asked mine in person earlier
<slangasek> the progress on the ALIP packages looks great - nice job!
<suihkulokki> the alip image appears seriously bloated... on the first boot you get mlocatedb, apt-update-xapian, mandb-update and whatever spinning for quite a while before the UI becomes responsive
<ppearse> BTW should I propose merges any more?
<slangasek> ppearse: it may be better to hand off your patches to suihkulokki instead and let him drive any further merges
<ppearse> OK will do
<tgall_foo> suihkulokki, indeed
<slangasek> suihkulokki: hmm, I have to say that I don't think we've looked at boot performance of ALIP... the focus has been on install footprint (which is obviously not great either yet, by embedded standards
<tgall_foo> suihkulokki, getting alip down to something more reasonable will hopefully be an acceptible 11.11 item
<wookey> runing on 1st boot is probably correct, but those things probably shouldn't be there at all..
<aviksil> kunal_: you may try this patch: http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=kernel/linux-linaro-2.6.38.git;a=commit;h=457520e3fbce80812c6901c226ec242fdb906c63 it's already available in linux-linaro-2.6.38
<suihkulokki> agree with wookey
<tgall_foo> slangasek, nano on a panda for instance is ~5-6 seconds
<kunal_> aviksil: thanks
<wookey> I think we all agree that there is plenty of opportunity for shinking minimal Debian/Ubuntu
<tgall_foo> wookey, indeed
<aviksil> kunal_: np
<wookey> everyoine else it trying to make it fatter
<suihkulokki> ppearse: when you have time send the patches you have and give some explanation how and where they should be merged
<jcrigby> short week, same usual stuff
<ppearse> suihkulokki: Ack
<jcrigby> U8500 u-boot patches have had no more comments so I guess they are good for 2011.06
<jcrigby> move the discussion about upstreaming fastboot to u-boot mailing list and got some feedback from Wolfgang
<slangasek> U8500 - great
<jcrigby> after some back and forth I have signed up to a design doc to discuss how it should plug into u-boot
<slangasek> nice job on diverting the fastboot thread onto a productive track... you're clearly a mailing list judo master
<jcrigby> the doc is just a strawman based on the existing implementations (out of tree) but will serve to continue discussion
<jcrigby> have packaged latest nico kernel but not tested
<jcrigby> thats about it
<slangasek> me up
<slangasek> this week has been mostly tying up loose ends for me; flushing the merge review queue, getting packages reviewed and sponsored into ppas where needed, etc
<slangasek> closing out those last pesky work items and encouraging you all to do the same
<slangasek> also working on getting our list together of topics for LDS
<wookey> slangasek: if I have a work item blocked by another part which is 'postponed' then should it be mrked 'blocked', or 'postponed'?
<slangasek> anything you think we should be discussing at LDS, please send it to me so I can make sure it gets on the list
<slangasek> wookey: 'postponed' IMHO, 'blocked' is when you're blocked by something external
<wookey> OK. I thought that might be the case
<wookey> BTW Am I still supposed to be doing developer docs or can I considered that handed off to suihkulokki?
<suihkulokki> hmm.. is everything going to end up handed over to me?
<wookey> until you start to bleat, probably
<slangasek> wookey: you have the better overview of the current state of play; whatever docs suihkulokki writes for his own edification as he goes should be integrated, but I want you to still drive this
<wookey> I recall you being responsible for 'everything', or somesuch wording
<tgall_foo> slangasek, do you have thoughts on the TR for starting point for product builders will play out? Is there a wiki page with thoughts about how to approach that?
<slangasek> tgall_foo: not really; that's definitely something we should gather input on at LDS
<slangasek> tgall_foo: if you want to seed a wiki page with your thoughts, feel free
<slangasek> any other questions for me?
<tgall_foo> slangasek, yeah ... something that's unformed like that might not translate into a very productive UDS session
<slangasek> wookey: technical requirement: https://wiki.linaro.org/Cycles/1111/TechnicalTopics/Platforms
<slangasek> tgall_foo: right - if we can have the conversations with vendors before UDS and use the UDS session instead for formulating a plan of action that would be more productive, but I don't think there's time to actually gather that input before UDS
<slangasek> tgall_foo: your turn
<tgall_foo> slangasek, yup, it is what it is ... I'll take a crack at a wiki page ... feel free to make that into an action item
<tgall_foo> Off Friday + Monday as a result status is short
<tgall_foo> libturbo-jpeg - awaiting feedback from Mandeep Kumar
<tgall_foo> libav - awaiting feedback from Rony Nany
<tgall_foo> Helped Jamie update the manual testing information pages : https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/QA/TestCases
<tgall_foo> Chromimum - gflags, gmock, google-glog done
<tgall_foo> (gtest examined don't think we need)
<tgall_foo> flimflam looks to be already packaged. Vectormath might be as well. validating both.
<tgall_foo> Updating my chromium google recommended chroot.
<tgall_foo> Images dowloaded of beta 2. Getting them onto SD currently.
<tgall_foo> ltrace isn't working. bug 771805.
<ubot2> Launchpad bug 771805 in ltrace "[armel] ltrace hangs" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/771805
<tgall_foo> and that's it
<slangasek> [ACTION] tgall_foo to seed a wiki page to discuss how to approach 1111 TR P1 (LEB as base for product builders)
tgall_foo to seed a wiki page to discuss how to approach 1111 TR P1 (LEB as base for product builders)
<slangasek> tgall_foo: could you try building ltrace from aviksil's branch to confirm whether this is fixed upstream?
<tgall_foo> slangasek, ... aviksil pointer ?
<tgall_foo> slangasek, sure
<aviksil> tgall_foo: https://code.launchpad.net/~aviksil/ubuntu/natty/ltrace/merge-with-upstream
<tgall_foo> aviksil, gratcie
<slangasek> gflags, gmock, google-glog> what does that leave yet to do?
<tgall_foo> slangasek, well presuming there aren't undiscovered deps ... about 7 packages
<tgall_foo> libchrome, libhcromeos, libcros, flimflam, chromeos-asses, update_engine and vectormath
<slangasek> publishing these to a ppa?
<tgall_foo> slangasek, handling them off to jahz to publish in the graphical team's PPA
<tgall_foo> but otherwise yes .. they are going into my own PPAs too
<slangasek> cool, thanks
<slangasek> [TOPIC] AOB
<slangasek> what else...
<slangasek> reminder: weekly reports to be added to the meeting wiki page so they can be summarized for management (https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/Meetings/2011-04-27)
<wookey> UDS subjects we should just mail you about. Is there a list to check repeats against? (i.e. mine might already be listed)
<slangasek> not yet, I'll get that into the wiki today and send out the link
<suihkulokki> If we have TRs to suggest for the next cycle, how do we proceed?
<tgall_foo> seems like in the future we should devote time during a team meeting about future TRs
<slangasek> and this is my last weekly meeting with you guys... next week I won't be with Linaro anymore
<tgall_foo> and that should occur say a month before the next UDS
<tgall_foo> slangasek, we'll miss ya!
<jcrigby> so is asac our fearless leader until another is designated?
<slangasek> so I want to thank you guys for being so great to work with, and wish you all well for the coming cycle
<ppearse> send back T-shirt
<asac> hi guys
<asac> i will do my best to keep you utilized
<slangasek> jcrigby: correct - they're still working on making the time-to-designation as short as possible, in the meantime asac is the go-to guy
<asac> now that slangasek is gone holiday season is over :-P ... j.k.
<tgall_foo> heh ... now asac is going to crack the whip
<slangasek> suihkulokki: TRs to suggest> the TRs are agreed between the Linaro TSC and the engineering team; if you think something should be there that isn't, please talk to asac
<suihkulokki> ok, thanks
<slangasek> anything else?
Platform/DevPlatform/Meetings/2011-04-27 (last modified 2011-04-27 16:49:01)