Agenda

  • Welcome back Amit!
  • Vishal and Amit to talk about meeting at ARM
  • 12.08
    • Please make sure BPs are marked Implemented and all remaining work is in bugs linked to the BP or talk to Zach to split
  • 12.09
    • 12.09 is shaping up. Please look through your BPs and add any WIs or other usful info.
    • Will be getting more things scheduled this week.
    • We need to get all baselines booting linux-linaro kernels
      • maybe we shoudl specifically call out the builds as such?
  • Vishal to give an update on future variance work
  • Patrik and Kejun to give an update on linux-linaro snowball
  • YongQin to talk about browser work

  • Amit to talk about CPU idle test
  • Fahad to talk about how his starter tasks are going
  • big.LITTLE status
  • AOB

Past Action items

  • Nothing

Action Items

  • Action items that came out of this weeks meeting.


Engineers Reports

Zach Pfeffer <pfefferz>

Highlights

  • Helped wrap up 12.08
  • Started planning 12.09
  • Research 64-bit Android Planning
  • Helped get ECM in
  • Made sure build usage instructions were acurate

Plans

  • Plan 12.09
  • Attend LinuxCon/Plumbers
  • Finish research on preliminary 64-bit Android draft plan
  • Work on power measurement system

Issues

  • None

Yongqin Liu<liuyq>

Highlights

  • Verified the methanol test on android-build
  • Helped to modify and verify the lava-android-test for display monkeyrunner result on android-build
  • Talked with zyga about the blackbox test

Plans

  • Work on the CTS consuming bug
  • work on the BP "Aggregate Browser Benchmark Data"

Issues

  • N/A

Zygmunt Krynicki <zyga>

Highlights

  • Wrapping up blackbox tests for android. I finally have a working merge proposal for lava-android-test integration. Everything else is ready for adding to our manifests. I hope to see some results this week. * Last meeting as a Linaro assignee!

Plans

  • Hop back in as community next week

Issues

  • All good

Fahad Kunnathadi <fahadkdi>

Highlights

  • Got hackbox.linaro.org accound ready and able to loggin to it.
  • Did download, android platform from linaro repository and builded it for origen .
  • Flashed tar.bz2 to SD card, and run on origen.

Plans

  • Follow the BP remaining tasks

Issues

  • Android not booting up, getting some zygote exit in logcat.

Vishal Bhoj <bhoj>

Highlights

  • Benchmark results for Antutu,AndEBench,Linpack,Caffeinemark now show up on android-build page.
  • Meeting with ARM on current benchmarking status and future work.

Plans

  • Parse GLBenchmark,nBench results.
  • Characterization of benchmarks.

Issues

  • None

Amit Pundir <pundiramit>

Highlights

  • Ported cyclictest on Android
  • Meeting at ARM.

Plans

  • Sysbench Android port
  • Update VE-A9 firmware
  • Update b.L scripts for clean exit of bl-agitator
  • DS-5 integration in LAVA
  • look into lava-android-test wrapper of Zyga
  • look into b.L-MP kernel based Android builds

Issues

  • None

Patrik Ryd <patrikryd>

Highlights

  • Working on the MALI for snowball
  • Have something working
  • Have successfully navigated the mine field called the FOSS process to be able to deliver
  • Currently stuck in the delivery process. (Large companies have processes for everything)

Plans

  • Get mali for snowball out
  • Get the snowabll tracking build to build.

Issues

  • Stuck in a process because the internal snowball team have not done what the had planned to do. I have to do their work or invent shortcuts or workarounds to get stuff out in the open.

Kejun Zhou <kejun-zhou>

Highlights

Plans

  • Fix the bug 1042239.

Issues

  • No

Android Team Meeting IRC log

12:58:58 <bhoj> #startmeeting
12:58:58 <linarobot> Meeting started Wed Aug 29 12:58:58 2012 UTC. The chair is bhoj.
12:58:58 <linarobot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
12:58:58 <bhoj> Hi everyone
12:58:58 <pundiramit> hello o/
12:58:58 <patrikryd> Hej!
12:58:58 <fahadkdi> Hi
12:58:58 <zyga> hey
12:58:58 <zyga> :-)
12:58:58 <fahadkdi> :-)
12:58:58 <bhoj> no kejun ,liuyq ?
12:58:58 <liuyq> hi
12:58:58 <bhoj> hi :)
12:58:58 <bhoj> since pfefferz is at plumbers I will be running todays meeting
12:58:58 <bhoj> #agenda https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Android/Meetings/2012-08-29
12:58:58 <bhoj> #topic Welcome back Amit!
12:58:58 <pundiramit> :)
12:58:58 <bhoj> welcome back pundiramit  :)
12:58:58 <bhoj> we are excited to have you back in android team
12:58:58 <zyga> so you've moved back :-) ? cool
12:58:58 <pundiramit> same here :)
13:03:01 <pundiramit> will still be doing some lava work in the background
13:03:01 <bhoj> cool . I hope you had an exciting time working in LAVA team .
13:03:01 <pundiramit> have some BPs aligned towards lava integration
13:03:01 <pundiramit> yes I had a good run there :)
13:03:01 <bhoj> ok . I think you will be able to help the lava team while working in android team.
13:03:01 <pundiramit> I'll try my best :)
13:03:01 <bhoj> #agenda Vishal and Amit to talk about meeting at ARM
13:03:01 <bhoj> We had a meeting with the ARM's benchmarking team at Bangalore to discuss the current work and future plan on benchmarks
13:03:01 <bhoj> It was a very useful meeting .
13:03:01 <bhoj> we gave a demo of our automated thirdparty benchmark suite
13:03:01 <bhoj> and they plan to use it internally in their TC2 setup.
13:03:01 <bhoj> We spoke on the current status on the automation and the plan to get the results on android build page using hooks .
13:03:01 <bhoj> as part of the next step they want us to characterize the benchmarks
13:03:01 <bhoj> to classify them as which benchmark stresses which part of the system
13:03:01 <bhoj> as in SMP, bionic, dalvik and other android components
13:03:01 <bhoj> which will then help us to demonstrate improvements  wrt to optimizations in those components
13:03:01 <bhoj> pundiramit, do you want to add anything ?
13:03:01 <pundiramit> They also shared their benchmarking setup and analysis of few benchmarks, which was very useful.
13:03:01 <zyga> pundiramit: do they do things differently?
13:03:01 <pundiramit> differently as in, they are doing manual iterations.
13:03:01 <zyga> what are manual iterations?
13:03:01 <pundiramit> running tests manually
13:10:46 <bhoj> they explained the methodologies they used in characterizing the benchmarks .
13:10:46 <pundiramit> and then collecting rsults
13:10:46 <pundiramit> and then collecting results
13:10:46 <liuyq> pundiramit: could we share it in linaro?
13:10:46 <zyga> pundiramit: did they explain how do they collect and gather results from manual testing?
13:10:46 <pundiramit> they plan to use our lava setup to carryout these tests via automation
13:10:46 <bhoj> zyga, they ran the benchmarks manually on different end devices and then used them to characterize the benchmarks .
13:10:46 <pundiramit> liuyq, zyga methodology is open but actual benchmarking numbers were not disclosed
13:10:46 <bhoj> liuyq, they cannot share their results . They want us to repeat the exercise to have the characterization in the open .
13:10:46 <pundiramit> liuyq, numbers can be shared privately I assume
13:10:46 <zyga> pundiramit: are they using anything related to lava to store data?
13:10:46 <pundiramit> zyga, no. they manually collect results via screenshots, logcat dump etc
13:10:46 <zyga> I see
13:10:46 <zyga> thanks
13:10:46 <pundiramit> thats where linaro's role kick in
13:10:46 <pundiramit> thats where bhoj's benchmarking automation work comes in.
13:10:46 <bhoj> zyga,they don't plan to use specific to lava . but they plan to use lava-android-test to run these benchmarks .
13:13:59 <pundiramit> they plan to use lava to automate their benchmarking exercise.
13:13:59 <zyga> bhoj: I was interested in their attitude towards storing the data in the dashboard
13:13:59 <bhoj> zyga, since they plan to use only the automation of benchmarks and tools to extract the results from bundles  lava-android-test was sufficient to do the process
13:13:59 <pundiramit> zyga, bhoj I doubt if they do it openly on dashboard, but plan is to share the results with Linaro and work together to improve them
13:13:59 <zyga> pundiramit: it does not have to be open, it can be a private dashboard internal to arm
13:13:59 <pundiramit> zyga, right but as bhoj mentioned their primary goal is to run the tests automatically, they may not be interested in complete lava suit.
13:13:59 <pundiramit> but they might end up using it. who knows :)
13:13:59 <zyga> sure I was only asking
13:13:59 <bhoj> zyga, good point . we will propose it to them on this in the next meeting .
13:13:59 <bhoj> next meeting with ARM
13:13:59 <zyga> especially as we approach data processing doing it in an uniform way could be beneficial
13:13:59 <bhoj> moving to the next topic
13:13:59 <bhoj> #topic  12.08 release
13:13:59 <bhoj> Please make sure BPs are marked Implemented and all remaining work is in bugs linked to the BP or talk to Zach to split
13:13:59 <bhoj> #link https://launchpad.net/linaro-android/+milestone/12.08
13:13:59 <zyga> ok
13:13:59 <bhoj> all the BPs look in good state
13:13:59 <bhoj> zyga, is there anything to be done on this BP https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-android/+spec/aosp-tests-on-jb ?
13:13:59 <zyga> well, kind of
13:13:59 <zyga> I'd like to move that to backlog
13:13:59 <zyga> as this blueprint is the leftover of the split
13:13:59 <zyga> and it's not likely to get finished entirely this cycle
13:13:59 <bhoj> zyga, cool . Talk to pfefferz on that .
13:13:59 <zyga> as most of my work went into the part that automated the tests I've discovered
13:13:59 <zyga> I will
13:22:32 <zyga> (whooping 100+ tests with many more test cases :-)
13:22:32 <bhoj> it was a humongous task :)
13:22:32 <bhoj> anything else on 12.08 ?
13:22:32 <bhoj> ok moving to the next topic
13:22:32 <zyga> not from me
13:22:32 <bhoj> #topic 12.09 planning
13:22:32 <bhoj> #link https://launchpad.net/linaro-android/+milestone/12.09
13:22:32 <bhoj> Few of the BPs have been filed and I think Zach will file few more
13:22:32 <bhoj> please fill in the relevant WI in the BPs
13:22:32 <bhoj> We need to get all baselines booting linux-linaro kernels
13:22:32 <bhoj> I think we will be adding build for all the boards based on  linux-linaro kernel
13:22:32 <bhoj> any inputs on this ?
13:22:32 <zyga> what kind of baselines?
13:22:32 <zyga> performance?
13:22:32 <bhoj> these are the tracking builds
13:22:32 <patrikryd> The snowball tracking build is based on linux-linaro
13:22:32 <patrikryd> but it does not build at the moment. :(
13:22:32 <bhoj> we are missing origen-jb tracking build
13:22:32 <bhoj> the target is to have the builds ready for this cycle. Even if they don't have display .
13:22:32 <fahadkdi> what is tracking builds basically ?
13:22:32 <liuyq> bhoj: sorry, linux-linaro kernel? is that a kernel that with support for all the boards(incluing panda/origen/snowball..)?
13:22:32 <bhoj> fahadkdi, tracking builds are the build which are based on the tracking kernel . i.e the latest kernel the LT are working on
13:22:32 <fahadkdi> okey
13:22:32 <bhoj> its usually bases on linux-linaro tree
13:30:04 <bhoj> fahadkdi, here is some info https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Android/LandingStagingTracking
13:30:04 <fahadkdi> so who all are working with origen in the team
13:30:04 <fahadkdi> origen and android in the team
13:30:04 <bhoj> fahadkdi, previously Annamalai and pundiramit looked at the origen build
13:30:04 <fahadkdi> okey,
13:30:04 <bhoj> fahadkdi, I had setup the stable-jb origen build based on the stable branch .
13:30:04 <bhoj> tracking-jb origen build was pending .
13:30:04 <fahadkdi> i did build one origen setup downloaded
13:30:04 <fahadkdi> today
13:30:04 <bhoj> liuyq, linux-linaro is the kernel with upstream effort in linaro
13:30:04 <fahadkdi> okey
13:30:04 <bhoj> liuyq, it should have the basic support for all the boards/platforms supported by linaro .
13:30:04 <bhoj> anything else on 12.09 topic ?
13:30:04 <bhoj> moving on to the next topic
13:30:04 <bhoj> #topic Vishal to give an update on future variance work
13:30:04 <bhoj> nothing much of an update here
13:30:04 <bhoj> I am currently analyzing benchmarks with the high variance to understand what is the reason behind it .
13:35:29 <bhoj> moving ahead in the future the plan is to add benchmarks
13:35:29 <bhoj> from toolchain team
13:35:29 <bhoj> which should showcase the toolchain improvements .
13:35:29 <bhoj> and as previously said
13:35:29 <bhoj> the next step with benchmarks is to characterize them and classify them
13:35:29 <patrikryd> bhoj,  Is there any summary somewhere on what you have done so far to reduce the variance for benchmarks?
13:35:29 <bhoj> as which benchmarks stresses which part of the system it stresses .
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, yes . I had presented it during the dalvik session in VC.
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, the video is here https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c9r67l6t01cgvgo6sjclfccqo00/116754366033915823792
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, the presentation link is here https://docs.google.com/a/linaro.org/file/d/1dpb_WLVe4hizFwkc1zcOueqnYW8BrTRXROdxBiKt5ywBHR_wLdpbNkfACdk8/edit
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, here is the right link https://docs.google.com/open?id=1dpb_WLVe4hizFwkc1zcOueqnYW8BrTRXROdxBiKt5ywBHR_wLdpbNkfACdk8
13:35:29 <patrikryd> bhoj, Found https://docs.google.com/a/linaro.org/file/d/1dpb_WLVe4hizFwkc1zcOueqnYW8BrTRXROdxBiKt5ywBHR_wLdpbNkfACdk8/edit
13:35:29 <patrikryd> ok same link :)
13:35:29 <bhoj> cool :)
13:35:29 <patrikryd> Thanks
13:35:29 <bhoj> moving on to the next topic
13:35:29 <bhoj> #topic Patrik and Kejun to give an update on linux-linaro snowball
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd,  can you update us since kejun is not around ?
13:35:29 <patrikryd> We have two builds. The tracking and the stable.
13:35:29 <patrikryd> The tracking does not build at the moment. The kernel does not compile.
13:35:29 <patrikryd> Build 36 of the stable build went into the release. It does not have mali support.
13:35:29 <patrikryd> I have an internal build at ST-Ericsson with mali support.
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, what is the reason for the failure for tracking ?
13:35:29 <patrikryd> net/built-in.o: In function `tcp_is_local6':
13:35:29 <patrikryd> /home/patrik-ryd/src/tracking/kernel/net/ipv4/tcp.c:3667: undefined reference to `rt6_lookup'
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, is it broken in linux-linaro tree itself ?
13:35:29 <patrikryd> Have not looked at it yet
13:35:29 <patrikryd> maybe
13:35:29 <patrikryd> I have asked kejun to help me, but he was busy with some ECM bug.
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, cool . please follow up with ushit and Andrey if that is the case .
13:35:29 <patrikryd> ok
13:35:29 <bhoj> patrikryd, any ETA on mali deliveries ?
13:44:53 <patrikryd> I have run into some problems internally when delivering.
13:45:05 <bhoj> ok .
13:45:05 <bhoj> running late .
13:45:05 <bhoj> moving to the next topic
13:45:05 <bhoj> #topic Amit to talk about CPU idle test
13:45:05 <patrikryd> I will find a workarond somehow. :)
13:45:05 <bhoj> pundiramit, how is it looking ?
13:45:05 <bhoj> patrikryd, you rock :)
13:45:05 <pundiramit> i think pfefferz meant CPU hotplug latency test and not CPU idle test
13:45:05 <bhoj> pundiramit, may be :)
13:45:05 <pundiramit> I made good progress on CPU hotplug test
13:45:05 <pundiramit> ported cyclictest to Android
13:45:05 <bhoj> cool :)
13:45:05 <pundiramit> I just need to find correct baseline to run this test on
13:45:05 <pundiramit> and sysbench need to be ported to android as well
13:45:05 <pundiramit> thats in to do list for this BP
13:47:42 <pundiramit> thats all from my side on this
13:47:42 <bhoj> ok . pundiramit pls check with amit kucheria on which platform has hotplugging support
13:47:42 <pundiramit> yeah already ping him
13:47:42 <bhoj> cool
13:47:42 <bhoj> moving to next topic
13:47:42 <bhoj> #topic Fahad to talk about how his starter tasks are going
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> hi yes
13:47:42 <bhoj> fahadkdi, how are things at your end :) ?
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> I did a origen build
13:47:42 <bhoj> looks like you are making good progress there .
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> and flashed on sd card and it started booting.
13:47:42 <bhoj> did you run into any issue while deploying ?
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> some issue for not seeing  android
13:47:42 <bhoj> it could be the missing graphics libraries
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> i think some audi library not getting up
13:47:42 <bhoj> did you extract the vendor tarball in your source ?
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> i used the command
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> ./linaro_android_build_cmds.sh -m /full/path/to/pinned-manifest.xml -o
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> vendor.tar.bz2
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> with the paths given
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> properly
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> poped up with this issue in logcat /AudioFlinger( 2289): loadHwModule() error -22 loading module primary
13:47:42 <fahadkdi> W/AudioPolicyManagerBase( 2289): could not open HW module primary
13:51:58 <bhoj> fahadkdi,  please share the crash log after the meeting we can help you with it :)
13:51:58 <fahadkdi> thats the crash log up .Okey
13:51:58 <bhoj> fahadkdi, that log not harmful . the versioning is wrong since the vendor tarball has audio libraries from ICS .
13:51:58 <fahadkdi> okey
13:51:58 <bhoj> fahadkdi, please share the complete logcat in a pastebin
13:51:58 <fahadkdi> okey will do it
13:51:58 <bhoj> moving to next topic
13:51:58 <bhoj> #topic big.LITTLE status
13:51:58 <bhoj> tixy has been maintaining the build for big.LITTLE MP for TC2
13:51:58 <bhoj> and it seems to be in good shape .
13:51:58 <bhoj> and for the big.LITTLE system project
13:51:58 <bhoj> we are yet to get a booting kernel for TC2 hardware to run our android builds .
13:51:58 <pundiramit> i have not looked into bL-MP for RTSMs for sometime now. I'll look into it as well
13:51:58 <bhoj> pundiramit, thanks :)
13:55:22 <bhoj> thats it from my side .
13:55:22 <bhoj> #topic AOB
13:55:22 <zyga> hmm :)
13:55:22 <zyga> I'll be adding blackbox tests to one build
13:55:22 <zyga> if it breaks please chase me
13:55:22 <bhoj> cool zyga :)
13:55:22 <bhoj> zyga, btw it was great having you in our team :)
13:55:22 <zyga> thanks, I always felt very welcome!
13:55:22 <zyga> and I'm not really going away that much
13:55:22 <zyga> I will stick around
13:55:22 <bhoj> thanks for all the efforts towards the blackbox test :)
13:55:22 <zyga> I guess I'll apply for that linaro email address
13:55:22 <bhoj> zyga, yes we look forward to continue working with you :)
13:55:22 <bhoj> zyga, yes it will be great to have you continue as a community developer :)
13:55:22 <zyga> I'm looking forward to it
13:55:22 <pundiramit> thanks for your help zyga on lava :)
13:55:22 <zyga> did you get FM into shape?
13:55:22 <bhoj> ok guys times up . lets continue the discussion on #linaro-android
13:55:22 <pundiramit> zyga, Andy is doing most of the integration. I was merely doing bL test integration and test runs
13:55:22 <bhoj> closing the meeting
13:55:22 <bhoj> #endmeeting

Platform/Android/Meetings/2012-08-29 (last modified 2012-09-07 13:10:34)