Agenda

  • Welcome Fahad Kunnathadi
  • 12.08 Release
    • Baselines
      • vexpress-jb-gcc47-armlt-tracking-open
        • boots?
        • instructions?
      • vexpress-rtsm-jb-gcc47-armlt-stable-open
        • boots?
        • instructions?
      • panda-jb-gcc47-tilt-stable-blob
        • boots?
        • instructions?
      • snowball-jb-gcc47-igloo-stable-blob
        • boots?
        • instructions?
      • origen-jb-gcc47-samsunglt-stable-blob
        • boots?
        • instructions?
      • galaxynexus-jb-gcc47-aosp-blob
        • boots?
        • instructions?
    • BPs
      • Review all BPs that are not done
  • TINY_ANDROID
  • Next cycle
    • 64-bit clean patches
    • Result aggregation
      • turn everything, benchmarks, tests, etc... into bundles
    • Galaxy Nexus in LAVA
    • Snowball enablement
    • Bugs
      • system_server
      • CTS
    • Using test results to make AOSP improvements
  • Anything else?

Past Action items

  • None

Action Items

  • Action items that came out of this weeks meeting.


Engineers Reports

Zach Pfeffer <pfefferz>

Highlights

Plans

  • Power meter hacking
  • Write TINY_ANDROID wiki

  • Plan 12.09
  • Prepare for 12.08

Issues

  • None

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero>

Highlights

  • Released merge-gnexus-blobs script
  • Restored all strict-aliasing patches from ICS
  • Updated docs for installing on gnexus
  • Updated toolchain components: mpfr 3.1.1, mpc 1.0, Bionic from JB
  • Built 12.08 toolchain

Plans

  • Fix remaining blockers for 12.08
  • Figure out why -O3 breaks libdex

Issues

  • Still need to properly housetrain the dog ;)

Your Name <irc nick>

Highlights

  • Short bullet points of work you've done that week which convey

progress and highlights which can be used to report on how the team is progressing as a whole.

Plans

  • Your individual plans for the coming week(s).

Issues

  • Your individual plans for the coming week(s).

Zygmunt Krynicki <zyga>

Highlights

  • I've wrapped my work on android-lava-test. It is a standalone tool that run entirely on the Android system and produces LAVA-compatible result bundles. The code is on github (github.com/zyga/android-lava-wrapper) and is tracked by my blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-android/+spec/aosp-tests-on-jb I'm working (as of this writing) to integrate it into our builds.

  • I had a perfect holiday that has earned me the status on an Open Water Diver!

Plans

  • See the android-lava-wrapper BP to completion so that we have daily results from the -tests build.

Issues

  • I'm going back to Canonical next Month. I will will see you as a Community member the next time!

Fahad Kunnathadi <fahadkdi>

Highlights

  • Going up with the ramp up stuffs with the Linaro build system.
    And getting up a Android Icecream setup working with Origin board looking into the current code.
    Doing some experiments with build stuffs in Linaro server.

  • Got a linux ubuntu PC installed and accound with Linaro server.

Plans

  • Need to check with current pending blueprint

Issues

  • Have some issues in ports not enabled so coudent connect to hackbox account checking out with it.

Patrik Ryd <patrikryd>

Highlights

Plans

  • Fix the MALI (EGL crashes) problem in the ST-Ericsson internal snowball build
  • Deliver patches and new vendor tarball
  • Get the tracking build for snowball to actually build.

Issues

  • Need stronger coffee. :)

Kejun Zhou <kejun-zhou>

Highlights

  • Updated ECM patches.
  • Help Hongbo (PMWG) to fix the new version pm-qa issue in ICS.

Plans

  • Fix the bug in ECM (if there was).

Issues

  • No.

Vishal Bhoj <bhoj>

Highlights

  • Worked on capturing benchmark results in console for 4 apps.
  • Virtual Connect

Plans

  • Complete capturing benchmark results and work with liuq to get them on android-build page.

Issues

  • None


Yongqin Liu <liuyq>

Highlights

  • Worked on integrated methanol test into android-build and lava production instances
  • Virtual Connect
  • Did a little investigation on CTS test
  • Created lava-android-test branch for bhoj's benchmark test

Plans

  • submit and deploy the lava-android-test branch for bhoj's benchmark test
  • displayed the methanol test results on android-build page of each build
  • reproduce the CTS problem that consumes CPU

Issues

  • All the builds are broken for build from android-build, so can't verify the methanol test on android-build, and try the latest CTS test on latest JB builds


Android Team Meeting IRC log

<pfefferz> #startmeeting
<linarobot> Meeting started Wed Aug 22 12:58:54 2012 UTC. The chair is pfefferz.
<linarobot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
<pfefferz> hey everyone
<bhoj> hi
<fahadkdi> hi
<patrikryd> Hej!
* mpoirier (~quassel@S0106002369de4dac.cg.shawcable.net) has joined #linaro-meeting
<liuyq> hi
<akgraner_> hi
<pfefferz> hey its fahadkdi !
* jackh (~quassel@114.86.181.213) has joined #linaro-meeting
<fahadkdi> hi yes pfefferz :)
<pundiramit> hello o/
<pfefferz> hey pundiramit 
<pfefferz> bero, around?
<pfefferz> no kejun?
<pfefferz> okay....
<pfefferz> how is everyone?
<pfefferz> zyga, ?
<fahadkdi> fine going :) pfefferz
<zyga> here
<zyga> busy but ok :)
<pfefferz> hey zyga 
<pfefferz> :)
* patrikryd is fine, but needs more coffee. :)
* pfefferz agrees
<pfefferz> #agenda https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Android/Meetings/2012-08-22
<pfefferz> #topic Welcome Fahad Kunnathadi
<pfefferz> hey fahadkdi, welcome
<patrikryd> fahadkdi, welcome :)
<pfefferz> would you introduce yourself?
<fahadkdi> that was supposed to be last .. but i missed last week because it was a holiday over here :) thank you for the intro .
<pfefferz> fahadkdi, would you share where your from, etc...
<fahadkdi> Actually in  bangalore .
<fahadkdi> I ve but soemthing about me in the Meet me  in the team
<pfefferz> cool
<fahadkdi> well I have done some contributions to Linaro too before
<pfefferz> you're coming to us form Samsung right?
<fahadkdi> yes in samsung
<pfefferz> #link http://www.linaro.org/linux-on-arm/meet-the-team/fahad-kunnathadi/
<pfefferz> well welcome
<fahadkdi> thank you
<pfefferz> its good to have you here
<fahadkdi> yup
<jackh> fahadkdi: hey
<fahadkdi> hi all and jach :)
<pfefferz> okay
<pfefferz> #topic 12.08 Release
<pfefferz> #topic Baselines
<pfefferz> bhoj, hows the bootloader issue going?
<bhoj> pfefferz, jcrigby has reverted the commit and it looks good for stable-panda now .
<pfefferz> nice!
<pfefferz> bhoj, what commit blew things up?
<bhoj> pfefferz, http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=boot/u-boot-linaro-stable.git;a=commit;h=f3f98bb0b8cc520e08ea2bdfc3f9cbe4e4ac29f5
<bero> pfefferz: Around now, just had a little doggy emergency ;)
<pfefferz> :)
<pfefferz> np  bero 
<pfefferz> OMG
<pfefferz> look at that commit message
<pfefferz> ARM: OMAP4/5: Do not configure non essential pads, clocks, dplls.
<pfefferz> Currently on OMAP4/5 platforms, many kernel drivers are dependent
<pfefferz> upon the bootloaders for mux, dpll and clock configurations.
<pfefferz> This should not be the case and bootloaders should set only the
<pfefferz> minimum required for the uboot functionality and kernel boot.
<pfefferz> Note that this is going to break the kernel drivers. But this
<pfefferz> is the only way to get things fixed in the kernel.
<pfefferz> Signed-off-by: R Sricharan <r.sricharan@ti.com>
<bero> We should probably backport the kernel fixes at some point
<pfefferz> aye
<bhoj> do we really want to invest time in stabilizing things on 3.2 kernel .
<pfefferz> bhoj, did jcriby send a mail to Andy and the TI guys?
<pfefferz> bhoj, probably not at this point
* kejun-zhou (~kejun-zho@222.129.40.202) has joined #linaro-meeting
<bhoj> pfefferz, no . this failure was seen only on 3.2 kernel and not on 3.4 kernel
<pfefferz> bhoj, but its the only thing we've got that kind of stable
<pfefferz> bhoj, cool
<pfefferz> hmm...
<pfefferz> sounds like there's no follow up then
<pfefferz> ?
<bhoj> pfefferz, yes . I think if things start breaking due to latest u-boot we should stick to older u-boot for our stable branch.
<pfefferz> sounds good
<bhoj> pfefferz, yes . I think we are good for now . jcrigby is going to keep that patch reverted in the master branch .
<pfefferz> okay, and is he going to talk to the kernel devs at all
<pfefferz> or just leave it
<bhoj> pfefferz, he had a discussion with ndec on this and decided on reverting that patch .
<pfefferz> okay
<pfefferz> cool
<pfefferz> thanks for following up
<patrikryd> Have you seen https://android-build.linaro.org/index today?
<pfefferz> bero, how are the toolchain patches looking
<bero> Things are looking good
<pfefferz> cool
<pfefferz> patrikryd, what's up with it?
<patrikryd> I don't there are any JB builds that are ok
<pfefferz> looks like an infrastructure issue
<pfefferz> or a LAVA outtage
<pfefferz> one has
<bero> Last night there was a problem because -fno-strict-aliasing broke the obsolete 4.5 host compiler we're using in the build roots
<pfefferz> frameworks/base/libs/androidfw/AssetManager.cpp:319:40: error: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
<bero> I just pushed a fix for that
<pfefferz> :)
<pfefferz> bero
<pfefferz> would you kick all the baselines?
<patrikryd> The few I hjave checked are strick aliasing related...
<bero> Sure
<bero> I think I'll just add -fno-strict-aliasing to the HOST compiler flags
<pfefferz> thanks!
<bero> It's not like we care about performance there a lot
<pfefferz> hehe
<bero> And we never know what sort of broken HOST compilers people come up with
<bero> With 4.7-2012.08 as HOST compiler, everything is fine already
<pfefferz> :)
* akira_t has quit (Quit: Ex-Chat)
<pfefferz> pundiramit, bhoj everything looking good with out vexpress stuff?
<bhoj> yes . integrated switcher build for rtsm/fastmodel look good .
<pfefferz> nice
<pfefferz> thats, vexpress-rtsm-jb-gcc47-armlt-stable-open, right?
<pundiramit> thats reference switcher build
<pundiramit> integrated switcher build is the private one
* pundiramit looking for link
<pundiramit> pfefferz, here it is https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~linaro-android-restricted/vexpress-rtsm-isw-jb-gcc47-armlt-stable-open/
<pfefferz> cool
<bhoj> pfefferz, that should boot since kernel and boot loader have not been updated for months . will let you know
<pfefferz> bhoj, thanks!
<pfefferz> please take a look at the instructions
<pfefferz> for both
<pfefferz> vexpress-jb-gcc47-armlt-tracking-open
<pfefferz> and
<pfefferz> vexpress-rtsm-jb-gcc47-armlt-stable-open
<bhoj> ok
<pfefferz> and for the integrated switcher as well :)
<bhoj> pfefferz, I can't verify this vexpress-jb-gcc47-armlt-tracking-open since I don't have a vexpress board .
<pfefferz> sure
<pfefferz> I think some one got it
<pfefferz> let me look quick
<bhoj> pfefferz, will check amit khare who has the board .
<bhoj> pfefferz, will check amit_khare  who has the board .
<pfefferz> botao got, https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~linaro-android/vexpress-jb-gcc47-armlt-tracking-open/#build=16
<bhoj> ok .
<pfefferz> bhoj, would you put some instrucitons up for it though
<bhoj> ok
<pfefferz> thanks
<pfefferz> cool, that should cover us for the release
<pfefferz> bero, did you have a chance to write a blog post about the Galaxy Nexus
<bero> Not yet
<bero> I wanted to make sure we have a 100% build first
<bero> Will probably do it later today
<pfefferz> k
<pfefferz> cool
<pfefferz> akgraner, ^^^^
<pfefferz> that'll be an easy to use
<pfefferz> Galaxy Nexus
<pfefferz> with linaro bits
<pfefferz> patrikryd, hows our snowball stuff going
<pfefferz> staging ready to release?
<patrikryd> except that it did not build today. :9
<patrikryd> s/9/)
<patrikryd> I think it is ok
<patrikryd> Nothing has really been changed for a while, except the changes that are for all boards
<pfefferz> right
<patrikryd> There will not by any MALI code in this release.
<pfefferz> did ushit get back to you with the tracking build stuff
<patrikryd> Only software rendering.
<pfefferz> right
<patrikryd> no
<bero> What's the problem w/ MALI? Incompatibility with JB or something else?
<patrikryd> I don't think we should release (or mention) the tracking build yet since it does not even build.
<pfefferz> k
<pfefferz> please send him the mails we mentioned in the con call
<bero> I can take a look at the build failures once the other bits are fixed
<pfefferz> to gfet him started
<pfefferz> aye
<pfefferz> and send the build failures around
<pfefferz> if you spend some time getting ushit ready to go
<pfefferz> then he'll be able to work on his own a bit
<patrikryd> bero, we have some crashes that probably but they were probably there in ICS as well and then I need some time to navigate around the obstacles in the delivery process to get stuff out in the open .
<patrikryd> All contact ushit
<pfefferz> cool
<patrikryd> I'll contact ushit
<pfefferz> please get him going ASAP
<pfefferz> okay
<pfefferz>  BPs
<pfefferz> https://launchpad.net/linaro-android/+milestone/12.08
<pfefferz> first
<pfefferz> everyones really doing a good job keeping these thigns updated
<pfefferz> thank you
* vireshk (~vireshk@27.61.33.116) has joined #linaro-meeting
<pfefferz> fahadkdi, have you been able to update, https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-android/+spec/new-starter-tasks-fahad-k
<fahadkdi> yes i was checking it
<pfefferz> cool
<pfefferz> see if you can mark it 
<pfefferz> pundiramit, would you update, https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-android/+spec/versatile-fastmodel-jellybean
<pfefferz> I think thats Implemented
<pfefferz> once bhoj puts the doc in place
<jackh> fahadkdi: you are the expert of hdmi, especially the android implementation of hdmi?
<pfefferz> patrikryd, I think https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-android/+spec/snowball-jellybean is probably done, would you spin up a BP with anything thats not gonna get done?
<fahadkdi> i do know somethings about HDMI , but the HDMI ip is bit complex
<patrikryd> I have a few minor things, but I can close it today...
<pfefferz> liuyq, is https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-android/+spec/android-arm-browser-benchmarks done?
<patrikryd> bero, can you have a look at http://review.android.git.linaro.org/2659
<patrikryd> ?
<fahadkdi> jackh :)
<pfefferz> kejun-zhou, hey
<kejun-zhou> hi
<fahadkdi> also ppl are tending to go to DRM HDMI sort now leaving the V4L drivers
<pfefferz> kejun-zhou, were you able to rebase ECM?
<liuyq> pfefferz: patrikryd, will the wifi be supported on snowball-jb in this cycle?
<patrikryd> pfefferz, I have move everything except the things I expect to close today.
<bero> patrikryd: Sure, looking right now
<pfefferz> patrikryd, did you create another BP?
<kejun-zhou> yes. and patrikryd commented the gerrit
<patrikryd> liuyq, No.
<patrikryd> pfefferz, No. You did. Two actually. :)
<liuyq> pfefferz: no, still wait the build on android-build to work for verifying the display
<pfefferz> liuyq, you don't need to block finishing yours until Snowball works
<pfefferz> liuyq, cool
<kejun-zhou> the ECM patches are all on the linaro_android_4.1.1
<pfefferz> kejun-zhou, right, but were you able to rebase them so they'll merge
<pfefferz> ?
<pfefferz> bero, is there anything to do for https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1031231
<ubot2`> Ubuntu bug 1031231 in linaro-android "Need binary blob overlay for Galaxy Nexus" [Critical,New]
<patrikryd> kejun-zhou, My comment in gerrit was on white space. Ignore my comments. :) It's better to get ECM support than to have a few tabs converted to space.
<pfefferz> liuyq, I'll move https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1034218 to 12.09
<ubot2`> Ubuntu bug 1034218 in linaro-android "CTS Java process consume all the CPU on control and cause lab outages" [High,New]
<kejun-zhou> I don't know why the rebase is needed and the ECM just on the linaro_android_4.1.1
<pfefferz> Gerrit says its needed
<pfefferz> so you need to pull a clean tree
<pfefferz> rebase the patches on it
<pfefferz> fix any conflicts
<pfefferz> and repush 
<pfefferz> after testing 
<kejun-zhou> is it the ECM should be on the tag linaro_android_4.1.1?
<kejun-zhou> should the ECM be started from  the tag linaro_android_4.1.1?
<pfefferz> kejun-zhou, it should be on that branch, yes
<pfefferz> but
<pfefferz> that branch has moved on
<pfefferz> soe the patches you sent
<pfefferz> no longer apply cleanly
<pfefferz> Gerrit tells you this
<pfefferz> which is why
<pfefferz> you need to pull a clean tree
<kejun-zhou> And I started the three ECM all the latest  tag linaro_android_4.1.1
<pfefferz> or do a repo sync
<kejun-zhou> Yes
<pfefferz> right
<kejun-zhou> I did that
<pfefferz> k
<pfefferz> lets take a look
<kejun-zhou> the gerrit also have  the tag information is  tag linaro_android_4.1.1
<pfefferz> okay I see the rebase
<pfefferz> and the new push
<pfefferz> once the builds work again
<pfefferz> I'll try merging them again
<pfefferz> kejun-zhou, would you rebase the other changes
<pfefferz> http://review.android.git.linaro.org/#change,2598
<pfefferz> and
<pfefferz> http://review.android.git.linaro.org/#change,2554
<pfefferz> just to be sure
<pfefferz> ?
<kejun-zhou> Can't be merged?
<pfefferz> well if the first one couldn't be merged
<pfefferz> the dependent patches may not be mergable either
<pfefferz> and since we can't merge until the builds are working again
* linarobot has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
<pfefferz> may as well rebase the other patches
<kejun-zhou> I think I need the right to merge
<kejun-zhou> When my patches need to be reviewed, other patches are mergeing
<pfefferz> kejun-zhou, that's just how concurrent development work kejun-zhou 
<pfefferz> kejun-zhou, that's just how concurrent development works kejun-zhou 
<kejun-zhou> I have not chance to make my patches be involed
<pfefferz> some patchset can be rebased 20 times before they make it in
<pfefferz> okay, please rebase the other changes
<pfefferz> in preperation
<pfefferz> then hopefully everything will just go in
<zyga> heh, linaro certainly taught me about history-rewriting parts of git
<pfefferz> #topic TINY_ANDROID
<pfefferz> I wrote up, https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Android/UseTinyAndroid
<pfefferz> thanks for spinning up the TINY_ANDROID baseline benonsoftware 
<zyga> pfefferz, that's cool stuff zach!
<pfefferz> thanks for spinning up the TINY_ANDROID baseline bero 
<zyga> pfefferz, maybe we could build tiny android too?
<pfefferz> expect to see more about TINY
<pfefferz> yeah
<pfefferz> the one thing we need to do
<pfefferz> is create stripped down manifests
<pfefferz> so the check out is fast
* rajagopal (~rajagopal@101.63.225.207) has joined #linaro-meeting
<zyga> ++!
<pfefferz> we're creating these
<patrikryd> How to you build it locally? Do you set TARGET_PRODUCT?
<zyga> on a separate note I'd love to know how to keep a some kind of cache so that clean repo sync finishes faster
<pfefferz> for kernel devs and other low level people
<pfefferz> patrikryd, take a look at the wiki
<jackh> tiny android is great for debugging some apps
<pfefferz> zyga, we have it
<pfefferz> zyga, if you download the tarball
<jackh> but it can only run on linaro boards?
<patrikryd> pfefferz, I did :)
<pfefferz> then repo sync it
<jackh> it should be universe
<patrikryd> The I checked the build page.
<pfefferz> thats as fast as you can get
<zyga> pfefferz, which tarball?
<patrikryd> s/The/Then
<pfefferz> REPO_SEED_URL=http://android-build.linaro.org/seed/uniseed.tar.gz
<pfefferz> okay, almost out of time
<zyga> pfefferz, yeah but I mean a general solution for that
<pfefferz> next cycle is going to be awesome
<zyga> for git clones
<pfefferz> ight
<pfefferz> right
<pfefferz> 64-bit Android
<pfefferz> finishing up benchmarking
<pfefferz> 64-bit clean patches
<pfefferz> Result aggregation
<pfefferz> turn everything, benchmarks, tests, etc... into bundles
<pfefferz> Galaxy Nexus in LAVA
<pfefferz> Snowball enablement
<pfefferz> Bugs
<pfefferz> system_server
<pfefferz> CTS
<pfefferz> Using test results to make AOSP improvements
<pfefferz> :)
<pfefferz> #topic Anything else?
<zyga> what do you mean by bundles?
<zyga> anyway I guess that's next month anyway
* rnayak (~a0131687@nat/ti/x-ajbwjnltvusyxxfu) has joined #linaro-meeting
<pfefferz> zyga, I mean
<pfefferz> that all the results
<pfefferz> get aggrgated
<pfefferz> and to do that
<pfefferz> doanac, tells me we need to get all the results into LAVA bundles
<pfefferz> okay
<pfefferz> thanks for a great meeting guys
<pfefferz> #endmeeting

Platform/Android/Meetings/2012-08-22 (last modified 2012-08-22 14:02:21)