Include: Nothing found for "^## meetings$"!

Include: Nothing found for "^## end-meetings$"!

Android Engineering

Getting Started

We also maintain several Android How To's as well as a list of Linaro specific links used by the team and a Library.

About

Our primary goals are to:

You can monitor our development roadmap efforts on launchpad.

Contact us

Agenda

Past Action items

  • None

Action Items

  • All: Remember, release is tomorrow!
  • All: Make sure your milestones are uptodate
  • patrikryd, sync up with mathieu about snowball
  • patrikryd, also please take a look at Pandroid
  • fgiff: Make sure all the 11.07 releases and tests are in Lava
  • mansson: Create 11.08 milestone for migrating "people" gits to repos and put under Gerrit control
  • bero: Look at WebM for Aug 8 demo.
  • All: Prepare your sessions on Connect for flying starts. Need to be efficient. Session leaders:
    • patrikryd graphics
    • cyang multimedia
    • mansson power
    • fgiff ST-Ericsson
    • bero WG
    • pfefferz TI
  • All: Take a look at 11.08 BPs


Engineers Reports

Your Name <irc nick>

Highlights

  • Short bullet points of work you've done that week which convey

progress and highlights which can be used to report on how the team is progressing as a whole.

Plans

  • Your individual plans for the coming week(s).

Issues

  • Your individual plans for the coming week(s).


Zach Pfeffer <pfefferz>

Highlights

  • Worked on side-by-side Pandaboard demo
  • Worked on AOSP/kernel workflow
  • Prepare preliminary 11.07 releases
  • Prepare for Cambridge

Plans

  • Finish 11.07 release
  • Prepare demo
  • Travel

Issues

  • None


Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero>

Highlights

  • Got iMX53 board to boot
  • Fixed various problems in linaro-image-tools

Plans

  • Figure out why iMX53 boot stops at displaying the green droid (and fix it)
  • Make the iMX53 build use the Linaro toolchain
  • Automate building the iMX53 boot loader
  • Check why the multimedia test app doesn't show up in the launcher even though it's installed (and fix it)
  • Help prepare the Linaro Connect Android Demo

Issues

  • Atrocious connectivity while on-site for the day job (will probably get home on Thursday)


Botao Sun <botao_sun>

Highlights

  • My UK Business VISA application has been approved by Beijing UK embassy.
  • The dynamic compiling version of Busybox has been done and integrated to Linaro Android 2.3.4 branch.
  • A Samsung SMDK v310 board (HREFP_2.0_V41_S10) received from Anmar.

Plans

  • Prepare for the travel to Cambridge.
  • Try to create Samsung build locally.
  • Try to solve the problems in Busybox static compiling for Linaro Android platform.

Issues

  • My flight tickets have not been purchased by Arwen, and I could't get the contact to her. I will discuss with Mike to solve this issue after he arrived in UK.
  • A linaro Android build for Samsung Origen board won't be released with Linaro Android 11.07, it will be delayed to the next milestone.


Frans Gifford <fgiff>

Highlights

  • Finished up work on connecting android-build and lava BP

  • Solved GPIO configuration issue on snowball so ethernet will work again. 804209

Plans

  • Update some build configurations so they are auto-tested.
  • Prepare for Cambridge

Issues

  • None


Tony Mansson <mansson>

Highlights

  • Participated in various meetings.
  • Managed Team status page and mail.
  • Solved key transfer and umask issues.
  • Launcher2 is now working in Android Builds.
  • Reviewed 11.7 Blueprints and tidied up some.
  • Got permission from ST-Ericsson to release squashed ALK.

Plans

  • Continue PM activities.
  • Help ST-E LT with secure binaries for updated h/w pack.
  • Assist with release activities.

Issues

  • None


Chao Yang <cyang>

Highlights

  • Fix LP803600

  • Commit manifests to linaro_android_2.3.4
  • Linaro android 1107 built against gcc 4.6 1107 verification passes
  • Gcc 4.6 integration is almost finished.BP

Plans

  • Investigate the root cause of prelink issues whose workaround was done in LP787072

Issues

Patrik Ryd <patrikryd>

Highlights

  • Back from vacation today.

Plans

  • Have been asked to work this week on getting ST-Ericsson Snowball Android out to the public.

Issues

  • None


IRC logs

[13:09] <pfefferz> hey guys
[13:09] <mansson> Hello.
=== bero is now known as Guest50426
[13:10] <cyang> hi
[13:10] <pfefferz> bero are you going incognito?
=== patrikryd is now known as anonymous
[13:11] <botao_sun> hello
=== anonymous is now known as patrikryd
[13:11] <pfefferz> hey botao
[13:11] <botao_sun> :)
[13:12] <pfefferz> little bit a of a late start this morning
[13:12] <pfefferz> patrikryd, are you around
[13:12] <patrikryd> Hej!
[13:12] <pfefferz> Hej
[13:12] <pfefferz> bero?
[13:12] <patrikryd> I'm here
[13:13] <AndroUser> I'm somewhat here
[13:13] <AndroUser> (it's bero)
[13:13] <pfefferz> hey bero
[13:13] <pfefferz> :)
[13:13] <pfefferz> fgiff?
[13:13]  * fgiff is here
[13:13] <AndroUser> attending from my phone while sitting in a day job meeting
[13:14] <pfefferz> nice!
[13:14] <AndroUser> so my typing and rection time may be slow
[13:14] <pfefferz> okay lets get rolling
[13:14] <pfefferz> sure, np understood
[13:14] <pfefferz> #start meeting
[13:14] <pfefferz> https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Android/Meetings/2011-07-27
[13:15] <pfefferz> #topic 11.07 release
=== AndroUser is now known as bero
[13:15] <pfefferz> we got our RC out last night
[13:16] <pfefferz> its got the new Launcher in it (thanks tony), busybox (thanks botao), gcc 4.6 (thankscyang), 3.0 kernel (thanks Andy and jstultz)
[13:17] <botao_sun> so finally Busybox has been integrated to this release?
[13:17] <pfefferz> yeah...
[13:17] <botao_sun> I ask because I see the comment on the bug page.
[13:17] <pfefferz> mounir sent ot a release email
[13:18] <pfefferz> and I've also got my Google+ announcement
[13:18] <botao_sun> Alexander said that it will be postponed to the next milestone.
[13:18] <botao_sun> Cool
[13:18] <pfefferz> https://plus.google.com/104422661029399872488/posts/WSnrwZhFsBA
[13:18] <AndroUser2> when does the final have to be ready?
[13:18] <pfefferz> Thursday
[13:19] <botao_sun> nice
[13:19] <pfefferz> but this RC is prabably pretty good
[13:19] <pfefferz> we also got snowball out
[13:19] <pfefferz> yeah!
=== bero is now known as Guest90641
[13:20] <pfefferz> okay,
[13:20] <pfefferz> 11.07 milestone and bugs
[13:20] <pfefferz> oops, other questions about the release?
[13:21] <pfefferz> okay
[13:21] <pfefferz> #topic, https://launchpad.net/linaro-android/+milestone/11.07
=== AndroUser2 is now known as bero
[13:21] <pfefferz> please make sure your milestones are uptodate
[13:21] <pfefferz> between now and Thursday
[13:22] <pfefferz> botao_sun, would you try and get busybox from sorce working?
[13:22] <botao_sun> Yes, I made a test build this morning, it works well.
[13:22] <pfefferz> cool
[13:22] <botao_sun> see the email I sent to you.
[13:22] <pfefferz> are the changes local to your git
[13:23] <pfefferz> okay
[13:23] <botao_sun> "After pushed the changes to repository this morning, I synced the source code and made a platform build for Panda board, Busybox works well on my board."
[13:23] <pfefferz> botao_sun, cool
[13:23] <pfefferz> well done!
[13:23] <botao_sun> :)
[13:24] <pfefferz> ket me move that back to 11.07
[13:25] <pfefferz> okay, bero see what you can do with iMX53 to release it publically
[13:25] <pfefferz> if we can't its okay
[13:25] <bero> sure
[13:26] <pfefferz> botao_sun, see what you can do with Samsung
[13:26] <pfefferz> hang on one sec...
[13:26] <botao_sun> OK
[13:26] <AndroUser2> there's an entire night left - I'm optimistic
[13:27] <AndroUser2> about iMX53 that is
[13:27] <AndroUser2> crappy connection
[13:27] <pfefferz> :)
[13:27] <pfefferz> okay
[13:27] <pfefferz> back
[13:27] <pfefferz> alright
[13:28] <pfefferz> patrikryd, sync up with mathieu about snowball
[13:28] <patrikryd> ok
=== bero is now known as Guest11679
[13:28] <pfefferz> also give the release a spin
=== AndroUser2 is now known as bero
[13:29] <pfefferz> I think snowball is wrapped up
[13:29] <pfefferz> so mathieu's got work for 11.08 going
[13:29] <pfefferz> okay cyang here?
[13:29] <pfefferz> patrikryd, also please take a look at Pandroid
[13:29] <pfefferz> ASAP
[13:29] <cyang> yes
[13:29] <pfefferz> make sure it boots up
[13:30] <pfefferz> we're going to use it for our side-by-side demo
[13:30] <pfefferz> take a look at
[13:30] <pfefferz> https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-android/+bug/811657
[13:30] <patrikryd> Have you changes anything on the pandroid build? It used to work. :)
[13:30] <ubot2> Ubuntu bug 811657 in linaro-android "Pandroid build just sits in fastboot" [Medium,Confirmed]
[13:30] <pfefferz> patrikryd, take a look
[13:30] <patrikryd> ok
[13:30] <pfefferz> thanks
[13:30] <pfefferz> we'll get to the demo in a second
[13:30] <pfefferz> cyang,
[13:31] <cyang> yes
[13:31] <pfefferz> you're looking at the prelink issue?
[13:31] <cyang> yes, I am looking into it now
[13:31] <pfefferz> also, sync up with Andy Doan about his benchmarking suite
[13:31] <pfefferz> and learn what he does, you'll need to do that for 11.08
[13:32] <cyang> OK.
[13:32] <pfefferz> fgiff, did everything get turned on this morning with validation?
[13:32] <fgiff> Yes, pfalcon just confirmed it's all working
[13:33] <pfefferz> oh double cool
[13:33] <pfefferz> is your BP updated to implemented!
[13:33] <james_w> there seem to be some issues actually running the tests
[13:33] <pfefferz> james_w, oh yeah?
[13:33] <james_w> but all daily and release builds will now submit to LAVA
[13:33] <pfefferz> hurray!
[13:34] <fgiff> Yes, I updated the BP a second ago
[13:34] <pfefferz> fgiff, cool
[13:34] <james_w> we'll have to rework it to improve the auth story
[13:34] <pfalcon> pfefferz: feel free to rebuild 11.07 release, I enabled LAVA submission for them (I myself start just panda/leb-pand now, beagle finished, but there was error on lava side)
[13:34] <james_w> and it still needs to report the results on the android-build page, or at least link to LAVA
[13:34] <pfefferz> pfalcon, actually I'd like to test each of the current 11.07 releases in the queue
[13:35] <pfefferz> not in the queue, that are currently done
[13:35] <james_w> you can submit them "manually" rather than rebuilding if you like
[13:35] <pfalcon> pfefferz: "test" as in ...? pass thru lava?
[13:35] <pfefferz> fgiff, would you collect all the 11.07 releases and ask plars to run them through Lava
[13:35] <pfefferz> the last 11.07 releases will work
[13:35] <fgiff> sure, np
[13:35] <pfefferz> pfalcon, yeah
[13:35] <pfefferz> thanks
[13:36] <james_w> pfefferz, plars doesn't need to be involved
[13:36] <pfefferz> also ask him to update the build notes with the results
[13:36] <pfefferz> pfalcon, love that feature
[13:36] <james_w> you or fgiff can submit yourself
[13:36] <pfalcon> so, I added "LAVA_SUBMIT=1" to all 11.07 build configs, but don't start them myself, you guys know what to do about them ;-)
[13:36] <fgiff> pfefferz: james_w I'll do the submission, don't worry
[13:36] <pfefferz> james_w, plars said he do it
[13:36] <james_w> fgiff, cool
[13:36] <pfefferz> james_w, so I'd like him to do it
[13:37] <pfefferz> okay, sounds like people know what to do
[13:37] <pfefferz> as long as it gets done
[13:37] <plars> pfefferz: I said the same thing james_w said, then you didn't want to set up an account for yourself so I said I would do it this time
[13:37] <plars> pfefferz: but fgiff already has an account and knows how to submit jobs to it
[13:38] <pfefferz> sounds like fgiff can do it, so you can keep working on the other testing stuff
[13:38] <pfefferz> plars, sure, but I have other things for him to do
[13:38] <pfefferz> plars, so I was going to just have him ask you
[13:39] <pfefferz> plars, since you said you'd do it until automation was 100% online
[13:39] <plars> pfefferz: what pieces are missing?
[13:39] <pfefferz> james_w, say's everythings working but the tests don't run in LAVA
[13:39] <pfefferz> anyway I'll let you guys sort it out
[13:40] <pfefferz> fgiff, go ahead and submit the jobs
[13:40] <pfefferz> if you can..
[13:40] <pfefferz> alright back to the meeting
[13:40] <pfefferz> mansson,
[13:40] <pfefferz> I'd like you to create a 11.08 milestone
[13:40] <mansson> ok?
[13:40] <pfefferz> for migrating all gits
[13:41] <pfefferz> fomr "people/" to regular repos
[13:41] <pfefferz> and migrate all Gits to readonly
[13:41] <pfefferz> for control by Gerrit in 11.08
[13:41] <pfefferz> okay>
[13:41] <pfefferz> okay?
[13:41] <mansson> ok.
[13:42] <pfefferz> sync up with pfalcon,
[13:42] <pfefferz> any questions before we move on?
[13:43] <mansson> not from me.
[13:43] <pfefferz> mannson, should have asked you explicitly are you taking notes?
[13:43] <mansson> I am noting
[13:43] <pfefferz> thanks!
[13:43] <pfefferz> #topic Demo
[13:43] <pfefferz> we have a side-by-side demo for ARM on Aug 8th
[13:44] <pfefferz> this has got to be awesome folks
[13:44] <pfefferz> bero suggested we show our latest Panda build doing WebM decode side-by-side with Pandroid doing WebM decode
[13:45] <pfefferz> since WebM is computationally intensive our toolchain improvements should be visible
[13:45] <bero> and AFAIK nobody can do WebM in hardware
[13:45] <pfefferz> bero, would you take a look at the mechanics of WebM playback?
[13:46] <bero> sure
[13:46] <pfefferz> bero?
[13:46] <pfefferz> thanks
[13:46] <pfefferz> then share the details with Patrik
[13:46] <bero> will do
[13:46] <pfefferz> and update the BP in 11.08 with the plan
[13:46] <pfefferz> thanks!
[13:46] <pfefferz> if enyone else has good ideas, please send them in
[13:47] <pfefferz> #topic Cambridge
[13:47] <pfefferz> any questions on the demo?
[13:47] <bero> we should figure out the best resolution and bitrate -- one that is CPU intensive enough to make the standard build stutter - but not ours
[13:47] <pfefferz> bero, good idea
[13:48] <pfefferz> bero, I figure we can cut two special builds
[13:48] <pfefferz> one for Pandroid and one for ours
[13:48] <pfefferz> we could put that in the special build
[13:48] <pfefferz> hehe, I was thinking we could put a slow SD card in Pandroid  ;)
[13:48] <pfefferz> j/k
[13:49] <pfefferz> okay Cambridge
[13:49] <pfefferz> everyone ready?
[13:49] <pfefferz> has everyone seen this
[13:50] <pfefferz> https://wiki.linaro.org/Events/LinaroConnectQ3.11/AndroidPlugfest/Agenda
[13:50] <pfefferz> that's what we're going to be working on with every groupd
[13:50] <pfefferz> I'd like everyone to lead one of these
[13:51] <pfefferz> leading will involove making sure that the source code and hardware is ready togo
[13:51] <pfefferz> and that people can be productive right away
[13:51]  * bero hands an 8 MHz CPU for putting into the Pandroid board to pfefferz
[13:51] <pfefferz> so we'll proabably need precompiled source for each session
[13:51] <pfefferz> bero, hehe
[13:52] <pfefferz> patrikryd, would you do the graphics session?
[13:52] <botao_sun> OK, then I'm going to try to make a Samsung build ASAP.
[13:52] <pfefferz> cool
[13:52] <asac> i think... i think angus has all stuff needed pushed
[13:52] <patrikryd> pfefferz: What do they need?
[13:52] <pfefferz> botao_sun, sync up with angus
[13:53] <asac> he kicked off a built yesterday but i killed it due to release business of builders
[13:53] <asac> i will kick it off now
[13:53] <asac> thats samsung SMDK
[13:53] <botao_sun> yes, I just received his mail today, but I haven't read it deeply.
[13:53] <pfefferz> patrikryd, they want to bring their glmark2 into an Android build
[13:53] <asac> https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~angus-akkea/lt-smdkv310/
[13:53] <pfefferz> so they want to get the ANdroid.mk together I think
[13:53] <asac> thats the samsung smdk build prepared by nytowl
[13:53] <asac> (aka angus)
[13:53] <asac> botao_sun: ^^^
[13:53] <pfefferz> aye thanks angus
[13:53] <pfefferz> wow, we'd have all the board supported
[13:54]  * asac started it now
[13:54] <pfefferz> with that...
[13:54] <asac> yeah... 11.08 will have all avail
[13:54] <asac> hopefully we get mali from somewhere ;)
[13:54] <pfefferz> :)
[13:54] <pfefferz> that's what we're planning a cambridge
[13:54] <asac> i have heard that might happen ... but you know how that goes usually ;)
[13:54] <pfefferz> aye
[13:55] <pfefferz> cyang, would you lead the multimedia session?
[13:55] <botao_sun> haha, may...
[13:55] <cyang> Sure
[13:55] <patrikryd> pfefferz: I don't know what to do...
[13:55] <patrikryd> pfefferz: Just suuport them?
[13:56] <pfefferz> patrikryd, get an Panda Android build precompiled, talk to Jesses about the test they want to integrate, get a Panda, do the initial integration, and have everything ready to do the final work , by the scheduled time
[13:57] <patrikryd> ok
[13:57] <pfefferz> patrikryd, also be prepared to do a little eduacation
[13:57] <pfefferz> education
[13:57] <pfefferz> that general sketch is valid for all
[13:57] <pfefferz> masson, would you do power?
[13:58] <pfefferz> mansson, would you do power
[13:58] <mansson> Hm. Same question as Android. But sure.
[13:58] <mansson> I mean as Patrik
[13:58] <pfefferz> fgiff, is doing STE
[13:58] <pfefferz> bero, is doing WG
[13:59] <pfefferz> I'm doing TI LT
[13:59] <pfefferz> and we're all helping with CI
[13:59] <pfefferz> feel free to edit https://wiki.linaro.org/Events/LinaroConnectQ3.11/AndroidPlugfest/Agenda
[13:59] <pfefferz> make sure you contact the parties that will be there
[13:59] <pfefferz> so that we gointo each session hot
[14:00] <pfefferz> if the session starts withj, okay lets repo sync this build
[14:00] <pfefferz> then we'll be toast
[14:00] <pfefferz> :)
[14:00] <pfefferz> okay
[14:00] <pfefferz> #topic
[14:00] <pfefferz> #topic https://launchpad.net/linaro-android/+milestone/11.08
[14:01] <pfefferz> just take a look at these when people get a chance
=== AndroUser2 is now known as bero
[14:01] <pfefferz> with our monthly cycle we can't afford a week off after every release
[14:01] <pfefferz> so start thinking about landing 11.08
=== bero is now known as Guest21143
[14:02] <pfefferz> the key lesson from last cycle is to have things in git and buildable
=== Guest21143 is now known as bero
[14:02] <pfefferz> even if they don't run perfectly
[14:02] <pfefferz> so we should try to get things into git early...
[14:02] <pfefferz> any 11.08 questions?
=== bero is now known as Guest73369
[14:03] <pfefferz> #topic Thank you
[14:03] <pfefferz> I'd like to take a second to thank everyone for a great 11.07
[14:04] <pfefferz> many people had to get up-to-speed
[14:04] <pfefferz> very quickly
[14:04] <pfefferz> and be productive
[14:04] <pfefferz> the work the Linaro Android team has done is really getting noticed
[14:04] <asac> i join the chorus
[14:04] <asac> very good work by everyone
[14:04] <pfefferz> so what we're doing matters!
[14:04] <asac> thanks to all!
[14:05] <pfefferz> I mean we've got beagle on a 3.0 kernel with GCC 4.6
[14:05] <pfefferz> that unbelievably cool
[14:05] <pfefferz> so thanks everyone
[14:05] <pfefferz> okay, AOB
[14:05] <pfefferz> #topic AOB
[14:06] <pfefferz> does any one have anything else?
[14:06] <pfefferz> alright
[14:06] <pfefferz> thanks everyone
[14:07] <pfefferz> mansson, please update the wiki wiht the IRC log and send out the Android status mail
[14:07] <pfefferz> #endmeeting

Platform/Android/Meetings/2011-07-27 (last modified 2011-07-27 16:57:56)