Include: Nothing found for "^## meetings$"!

Include: Nothing found for "^## end-meetings$"!

Android Engineering

Getting Started

We also maintain several Android How To's as well as a list of Linaro specific links used by the team and a Library.

About

Our primary goals are to:

You can monitor our development roadmap efforts on launchpad.

Contact us

Agenda

Past Action items

  • None.

Action Items

  • At Connect
    • Bero to host Toolchain, building for bionic session.
    • fgiff to host the ST-Ericsson session.
    • botao_sun to host the Samsung session.
    • everybody to keep boards ready to run.
    • bero to host side-by-side demo.
    • bero to show Qt on Android.
  • For RC 1
    • Everybody to test images sent by Zach last sunday.
    • All board PoCs send Zach summary of what is working.


Engineers Reports

Botao Sun <botao_sun>

Highlights

  • UK Business VISA application is still under processing at Beijing UK embassy.
  • Cooperate with Bernhard and Busybox mailling list guys to solve the issues which raised during the integration.
  • A Panda board (S/N: 0811PANDA093) received. A power supply I bought by myself was also received this afternoon.
  • Work with Angus on any issue which is related to the Samsung board. SD card flashing has been done successfully, relevant wiki pages have been updated.
  • Discuss with Angus about the possiblity to integrate the Samsung build to Linaro build system, it's in progress. I'm syncing the Linaro kernel source code now (v2.6.39).

Plans

  • Discuss with Angus to start the integration.
  • Try to solve the Busybox linking issue in our Android platform.
  • I will get Samsung SMDK v310 board in next few days.

Issues

  • UK business visit VISA is still under processing.
  • It seems that there is a lot of work to do on the Samsung build integration because either Angus or I don't have a guildline until now.


Zach Pfeffer <pfefferz> 2011/7/10 to 2011/7/16

Highlights

  • Released the first 11.07 build with 2.6.39 and HDMI on Panda and Beagle (non-LEB)
  • Continued planning for Cambridge Connect Aug 1-5
  • Worked on getting everyone boards
  • Helped push LAVA, android-build integration along
  • Started working on the Android demo
  • Got the Snowball LEB into the build system
  • Started the community builder project with gumstix build
  • Helped debug Panda-LEB

Plans

  • Release official 11.07 RC 1
  • Finish Cambridge planning
  • Get demo together

Issues

  • Need help getting demo together


Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero> 2011/7/10 to 2011/7/16

Highlights

  • Added a "no test files" dialog with some instructions to mmtest
  • Got i.MX53 port to build reliably (though not quite booting yet)
  • Added i.MX53 support to linaro-android-media-create
  • Updated documentation on getting source and building images

Plans

  • Get i.MX53 port to boot
  • Once i.MX53 port boots, use more Linaro tools (toolchain, ...) with it
  • Rearrange mmtest repository so the Android app part can be added to builds

Issues

  • Atrocious connectivity while on-site for the day job [probably until next week]
  • Lack of tools (USB-RS232 adapter) while on-site for the day job [ordered, should arrive tomorrow]


Frans Gifford <fgiff>

Highlights

  • Continued weekly hacking sessions with LT.
  • Got prototype test job running on validation.l.o sandbox and started debugging problems in the JSON.
  • Received Pandaboard and loaded on a build.
  • Hacked a script to unpack/repack the uInitrd so I can edit init.rc to use emmc on snowball.

Plans

  • Finish debugging JSON on validation.l.o.
  • Continue work with LT to improve android on Snowball.

Issues

  • None.


Chao Yang <cyang>

Highlights

  • Received Panda board and got linaro android built with gcc 4.5 up and running on the board.
  • Assisted in debugging 4.6 ICE issue (bug 809768)
  • Fixed dbus building errors against gcc 4.6 and uploaded dbug git to git.linaro.org
  • Issues described in bug 803600 was met and preliminary analysis found it is the building problem of icu4c.

Plans

  • Investigate and fixed icu4c building issues against gcc 4.6
  • Test resulting 4.6 builds
  • Document the procedures.
  • Benchmark 11.07 toolchains

Issues

  • The fix for 809768 is not a formal release and will not go to gcc 4.6 1107


Tony Mansson <mansson>

Highlights

  • PM training.
  • Participated in various meetings.
  • Managed Team status page and mail.
  • Got build environment working and did some 11.07 builds.
  • Snatched a Pandaboard and tested the panda builds.
  • Tried the hackbox. Worked. Tested the builds.
  • BP: Enable Launcher2 in Android Builds. DONE but couldn't upload result.
  • Checked out Whiteboard syntax and sent out call for tidying up.
  • Discussed Snowball issues with ST-E LT. USB and secure boot.

Plans

  • Continue PM activities
  • Help ST-E LT with the kernel

Issues

  • Too low priority for Snowball in ST-Ericsson. Difficulty getting firmware signed.


Jim Huang <jserv-->

Highlights

Plans

  • Submit proof-of-concept apriori patch for public review
  • Deliver new 0xbench release
  • Publish/discuss development scope of Android system testing suite

Issues

  • N/A


IRC logs

Android Kernel Meeting

Android Team Meeting

<pfefferz> hello everyone
<bero-1> hi
<botao_sun> hi
<mansson> hi
<cyang> hi
<pfefferz> how's everyone doing?
<mansson> :-)
<bero-1> fine, minus connectivity issues
<botao_sun> :-)
<pfefferz> cool
<pfefferz> mansson, will you take notes?
--> mounir (~mounir@32.97.110.58) has joined #linaro-meeting
<pfefferz> #startmeeting
 no bot still
<mansson> yes
<pfefferz> https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Android/Meetings/2011-07-20
 thanks
 #topic Cambridge Connect
 Cambridge is coming up and I've been getting all the planning done
 in general we'll have programming sessions in the morning and meetings in the afternnon
<-- JesseBarker has quit (Quit: Ex-Chat)
<pfefferz> #link https://wiki.linaro.org/Internal/Events/LinaroConnectQ3.11/Planning
 I'd like everyone to be in all the programming sessions
 and to lead a few of them
 #link https://wiki.linaro.org/Events/LinaroConnectQ3.11/AndroidPlugfest/Agenda
 That's what I've got nailed down to work on
 bero, would you mind doing the Toolchain, building for bionic session?
<bero-1> sure, will do
<pfefferz> thanks
 fgiff, would you mind leading the ST-Ericsson  session?
<fgiff> sure, no problem
<pfefferz> botao_sun, would you do Samsung?
<botao_sun> OK, but I'm still worried about my VISA...
<pfefferz> botao_sun, sure...we'll make it work
 botao_sun, we can have you lead it remotely
<botao_sun> The status is still "in processing" at the end of this afternoon.
<pfefferz> botao_sun, gotcha
<botao_sun> OK, if the VISA doesn't work out, remote is OK.
<pfefferz> cool
 I'll send out some more email about each sessions
 also please check out
 #link https://wiki.linaro.org/Events/LinaroConnectQ3.11/Magdelene/Android#ARM_and_Linaro_Android_Planning_Session_1
 the planning sessions
<bero-1> if they take too long, it may make sense to apply for a visa in a schengen country that processes them faster (e.g. switzerland), but it may be too late to try that
<pfefferz> bero-1, that's a really good idea
<fgiff> bero-1: UK isn't Schengen, so that won't help.
<pfefferz> whats Schengen?
<fgiff> Common border control in the EU
 minus the UK and Ireland
<bero-1> ah, crap, I thought any EU country was Schengen
<botao_sun> whatever, it's too late to try another way, tomorrow is 21st July...
<pfefferz> gotcha
 We'll have morning sync ups during Connect and a team dinner so we can all get to know each other
 the other thing we need to make sure...
 since these programming sessions are so short, we need to have code and boards reqady to go
 for each session, so we can just sit down and work
 I'll need help from everyone
 any questions on connect?
 okay
 #topic Aug 8th Demo Discussion
 We've been asked to put together an side-by-side Android demo
<bero-1> audience tech or non-tech?
<pfefferz> with a "community build on one side and our awesome tech on another"
 bero-1, I think maybe tech manager
 this demo is hard for a few reasons
--> springz (~spring@115.174.206.141) has joined #linaro-meeting
<pfefferz> the kernel and toolchain enhancements we make don't lend them selves to easy to see differences
 ...but we need to try
 I was thinking about running Pandroid side-by-side with our latest Panda LEB
 of doing a community build without hardware acceleration vs our build without acceleration
<bero-1> I have Qt running on android - could be interesting for ppl whp care about porting existing apps or ppl worrying about writing portable apps - but of course it's not very interesting to pure end users
<pfefferz> bero-1, that's pretty cool
 bero-1, would you like to host that anyway?
 bero-1, actually, we could get that into builds
<bero-1> can do...
<pfefferz> cool
 I'll send an email out to the interested parties
 please start thinking about ways that we can feature our tech
 questions about the demo?
 okay
 #topic RC 1 on Thursday
 we've got our next RC build coming out on Thursday
 Panda, Panda-LEB and Beagle
 if you guys could test the builds I sent out on Sunday night to linaro-dev
 I think those are going to be the RC
 but I may try and get a few more things in
 I'm also going to mention iMX53 and snowball, and hopefully Samsung
* bero-1 hopes to have a bootable iMX53 build in time, but it's going to be hard given the RS232 adapter hasn't arrived yet
<pfefferz> would those board owners send me what's working on the latest builds for those boards?
 bero-1, cool bero-1
 understood
--> cyang_ (~chaoyang@linaro/cyang) has joined #linaro-meeting
<pfefferz> #action Android board PoCs to send me info about what's working on the boards they're working with
 any questions about that?
<bero-1> iMX53: compiles, doesn't boot, but it's likely just minor uboot/linaro-create-image things missing
<pfefferz> cool, and thanks for pusing your extensions to l-a-m-c
 #topic
--- springz is now known as springz-afk
<pfefferz> #topic BPs
 #link https://launchpad.net/linaro-android/+milestone/11.07
--> leio_ (~leio@gentoo/developer/leio) has joined #linaro-meeting
<pfefferz> bero-1, iMX53 sounds good, is the multimedia test in the build now?
<bero-1> not yet, but it will be tonight (got to rearrange the repository a bit)
<-- leio has quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
<pfefferz> bero-1, okay cool, so it should make the RC
 bero-1, would you shoot me an email
<bero-1> sure
<pfefferz> thanks
 bero-1, any other BP news we haven't already covered?
<bero-1> I don't think so
<pfefferz> k
 botao_sun, hows getting the samsung build into the build system going?
<botao_sun> Not finished yet, either Angus or I don't have the guideline that how to do it. I finished the kernel code syncing to Hack Box and will make a test soon.
<-- robher has quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
--> robher (~robher@65-36-74-215.dyn.grandenetworks.net) has joined #linaro-meeting
<pfefferz> botao_sun, okay lets sync up after the meeting to talk about it
<botao_sun> I think we should have some instructions to do the same kind of jobs, but we don't until now.
<pfefferz> botao_sun, yeah...we'll sync up
<botao_sun> OK, let's talk about it after the meeting.
<pfefferz> botao_sun, how about busybox?
<botao_sun> The Busybox official code has merged the Android config file to their mainline code.
 Under the dynamic mode, compiling has been finished successfully, but there are still some linking errors while I select static compiling mode.
<pfefferz> cool, so we should be able to just pull their git?
 dynamic mode is okay
<botao_sun> yes, git clone git://busybox.net/busybox.git
<pfefferz> I think
 okay, would you put it into the manifest on 2.3.4
 and make sure it builds
<botao_sun> This is the trunk of their mainline code.
<pfefferz> cool
<botao_sun> OK, let me try.
<pfefferz> then push the result
 it should go into LEB-panda.xml and default.xml
 on linaro_android_2.3.4
<botao_sun> But I think the static version is much better than dynamic if we have enough memory.
<pfefferz> sure...we can split the task
 and do that later
 better to have something in, then improve it
 to push to the git do:
 git remote add manifests ssh://pfefferz@git.linaro.org/srv/git.linaro.org/git/android/platform/manifests.git
 $git push manifests HEAD
 something like that
 was that what was blocking you Tony?
<botao_sun> OK, I have generated the executable file "busybox", but when I run it, I got a error about the "/system/bin/linker", I think their is something PATH issue.
<mansson> Question: does ssh keys on lp suffice or is manual transfer of keys required?
<pfefferz> sounds like an LD_PATH issue
<botao_sun> yes, I will take a look at it.
<pfefferz> mansson, if you use the key that you uploaded to LP you should be fine
<pfefferz> #topic, this just in
<mansson> Hm. Did that but I will hack some more.
<pfefferz> http://patches.linaro.org/
 is now tracking submissions to AOSP
<pfefferz> okay....mansson, you're pushing to Launcher2
 mansson, I'll sync up with you
<mansson> trying...
<pfefferz> anything else with your BPs?
<bero-1> botao-sun: /system/bin/linker should always be there... It's the equivalent of ld.so on a normal linux box. Any chance you're somehow trying to run the android binary on normal linux?
<botao_sun> I run it on the Hack Box machine.
<pfefferz> note export LD_LIBRARY_PATH /vendor/lib:/system/lib
<bero-1> The build, or the resulting binary? The latter can't work on the hack box...
<pfefferz> is in ./device/linaro/common/init.rc
<botao_sun> Well, let's talk about it later after the meeting.
<pfefferz> fgiff, your status looks good, think you'll be able to wrap up the CI work soon?
--- springz-afk is now known as springz
<fgiff> Hopefully, plars pointed out the errors in my JSON, so I need to sync up to see if it runs now
<pfefferz> cool, he should be around so please give him a call
 fgiff, anything else?
<fgiff> no
<pfefferz> cool
 cyang, how's getting 4.6 going
<cyang> two main problems I have so far
 toolchain team does not seem to be able to integrate the fix into their next release
 Have you seen the email from Michael Hope?
<pfefferz> cyang, not yet
 cyang, just use the local copy Ken has
<cyang> If there is no official gcc 4.6 which can build android, is there any alternative way for us delivering 1107 against gcc 4.6?
<bero-1> cyang: build our own?
<pfefferz> yeah, just use Ken's version, or we'll upload our own with the patch to people.linaro.org
<cyang> ok. that is cool
<pfefferz> cyang, as long as something like https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~linaro-android/toolchain-4.6-2011.05-0/
 can reference a path to a tree with the patch init
 patch in it
 then it should work
<cyang> Cool, thanks.
<pfefferz> anything else?
<cyang> Another issue is the android booting up
 with the build against gcc 4.6
<pfefferz> okay
 would you put it in the BP?
<cyang> as described in the bug 803600
--> dlezcano (~dlezcano@AToulouse-159-1-4-177.w90-60.abo.wanadoo.fr) has joined #linaro-meeting
<ubot2> Launchpad bug 803600 in linaro-android "Cannot boot Android with Linaro's GCC 4.6" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/803600
<cyang> Yes, I have put it in the BP
<pfefferz> okay, cool
 thanks
 okay jserv--  are you around?
<cyang> The reason is that the icu4c does not behave correctly when it is built with gcc 4.6
<pfefferz> cyang, any feedback from Michael and Ken?
<cyang> it fails to parse a normal regular expression
 nope yet
 I have been talking with Ken regarding this issue
<pfefferz> cool, just keep working with him
<cyang> OK. I am working on digging it out now
<pfefferz> and he has the toolchain with the patch you can reference from the build system?
<bero-1> even when built with -O0?
<cyang> "-00"?
 I have not tried taht
<pfefferz> cyang, would you make sure beor's on the email,
<cyang> OK, I will
<pfefferz> I'm going to be requesing a linaro-android maillist today
 I figure all mails should include it with a CC
 should help people out
 okay, any other business?
<botao_sun> yes
<pfefferz> k
<bero-1> cyang: turning off optimizatoons often helps (and figuring out which exact optimization flag breaks things helps the gcc ppl)
<cyang> Thanks bero, I will try that shortly
<pfefferz> cool...
 Just want to take a moment to thank everyone for thew hard work their putting in
 The Linaro Android team is really cooking
 and I appreciate all the effort
 our builds are starting to get some traction in the community, so the fun should only keep growing
 botao_sun, you had something before we quit?
<botao_sun> no, I say yes about your mailing list idea.
<pfefferz> okay...
 cool
 alright, thanks everyone
 #endmeeting

Platform/Android/Meetings/2011-07-20 (last modified 2011-07-20 16:33:20)