- Period: (20110627-20110701)
PM: Ilias Biris <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Past reports : https://wiki.linaro.org/OfficeofCTO/Status/WeeklyReportPast
Burndown information : http://status.linaro.org/11.11/linaro-octo.html
Key Points for wider discussion
- Upstreaming: David is looking at this at the moment. Trying to describe how patches make it into our consolidation tree, and from there to Android. David is working on a documentation page for this.
Dropping linux-linaro kernel tree (Nicolas' tree and, for example, what is its value and how does it relate to Android kernel) - relevant thread: http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linaro-dev/2011-June/005522.html? Consolidation of kernel trees can take a fair amount of time. Kernel developers are not using linux-linaro tree, but the upstream kernel tree instead, and there are no other consumers of that tree. On the other hand, the value of the linux-linaro tree can be apparent when needing a reasonably stable kernel particularly for "lumpy" upstream patches such as device tree related ones. More opinions are needed in the ongoing list discussion.
- List of platforms to benchmark: pandaboard, efikas, and possibly a tegra-2 based platform. The benchmarks could also include beagleboards - depending on the success of running the hard float image on those, as well as iMX53 / iMX6 are also considered depending the availability of the boards.
- Starting to study the LAVA infra and how to incorporate the benchmarking for HF images (debian, ubuntu are going to be available as first target)
- Boot architecture: SIG weekly meetings have started, trying to nail down a document related to what we care about in boot architecture.
- Device tree: work has been progressing mostly reviewing the documentation being used - still need to address the reviewers' comments. Also started looking at the initialization order of devices - the init order of kernel modules - with a submitted patch which allows the device drivers to request deferral on probing devices : if the resource cannot be granted immediately then the driver requests the deferral of the probing for a later point in time. Request of a resource actually creates also a resource reference for the driver, which can be used for power management purposes. The patch is being reviewed now, and could simplify some of the performance problems we have now.
Java work (https://wiki.linaro.org/OfficeofCTO/OptimizedJavaVM): plan progress including a chat with George getting in agreement on the next steps. Regarding the long term plan, it requires some project sponsor as the plan is not sustainable by Linaro alone anymore.
- QEMU images were tested and bugs found.
- Need to move to new Versatile Express flavour in ubuntu.
- Issue that rose during the Versatile Express trial - confirming the relevance of Linaro's work on the kernel side: old code in ARM tree (code not really updated). Documentation is also old. Sending patches to Russell not very easy, since Russell needs patches submitted in a special format.
- Participation to Dublin event for Ubuntu: focus on discussions related to ARMHF, and server images.
- David back from vacation. Ilias will be on vacation from 11July - 31July.
Linaro Connect is around the corner: Please check the https://wiki.linaro.org/Events/LinaroConnectQ3.11 for updates and instructions!
OfficeofCTO/Status/2011-06-28 (last modified 2011-07-04 13:48:30)