Agenda

Owner

Topic

Ilias Biris

OCTO deliverables - let's review what was discussed in last week's meeting and give any feedback for improvement

Actions from previous meeting

  • CARRIEDOVER: Paul to write up the current capabilities of the scheduler INPROGRESS
  • CARRIEDOVER: Write down thoughts based on the future topics INPROGRESS
  • CARRIEDOVER: Ilias to organize the STB summit - INPROGRESS
    • Ilias: Agenda created and shared also some more folks were contacted.
  • CARRIEDOVER: Ilias to organize the IVI discussion in Linaro Connect - DONE

Attendees

  • David Rusling
  • Loïc Minier
  • Steve McIntyre

  • Paul McKenney

  • Grant Likely
  • Ilias Biris

Minutes

  • Retrospective of 1109 - do we need to do changes in the way we plan to deliver. Looking at the blueprints we have for armhf, server, boot architecture, smp, llvm.
    • SMP: there is some progress based on feedback from the community, but it is yet unclear what will be complete for delivery in 1110 - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/gcc-linaro/+spec/64-bit-sync-primitives

    • ARMHF: progressing along. Benchmarking work is progressing and should reach conclusion for 1110. Also the linker runtime checks should be in a patch form deliverable, together with some benchmark results to go with it.
    • Server :
    • Boot architecture: there is a lot of change going on with Boot Architecture. ACPI and UEFI processes feedback is gauged from the Linux mailing lists. Grant will create a report by the end of the month.
    • Kernel and scheduler: SMP validation documentation, discussing various aspects of read-copy-update synchronization mechanism. Blueprint created to follow this work: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-octo/+spec/linaro-octo-rcudocumentation.

  • What would be the next catalyst area to open a path towards from OCTO
    • Platform architecture/UEFI/ACPI and its relation to the arm server area: what does it take to move on from the embedded marketplace to the commodity HW market place. What happens before the kernel is given a chance to run.
    • Better education on how to work with SMP especially on the application level.
  • Requirement items in papyrs
    • Kernel specific requirements were added on reducing scheduling-clock ticks and handling systems with diverse CPUs (eg a mixture of high power/performance and low power/performance CPUs).
    • UEFI initial work at least will start in the ARM LT. It is also a matter of getting an actual engineering team to get behind the effort for the UEFI.
  • Status updates:
    • Grant: following the actions from the server meeting, and getting prepared for the kernel merge window
    • Steve: runtime linker initial implementation ready to do some benchmarking with, to be improved later. Also the ARMHF build machines are now under DSA should start getting packages building soon. Still one blocking issue is lack of disk space from the central server (ftp master) for Debian
      • Can we download already images: need to use parts from debian-ports, no installable images yet from debian-ports. There is no official archive yet on debian ftp-master. So the HF archive is ready in the sense of having userspace parts which can be put together manually to create a rootfs, but we do not have the kernels in debian built for platforms other than i.mx51/3.
      • Estimated 2 weeks before we hand over the image building to main Debian archive or main Ubuntu archive.
    • Paul: 2 requirements in papyrs - decreased schedule-clock ticks, and diverse CPU handling. Validation on SMP presentation (Invited lecture on validating parallel programs for China Linux Kernel developers conference), working on a whitepaper for ARM memory barriers and atomic operations. Ongoing full-up documentation of Linux's RCU implementation including also review of a user-level library that includes RCU and other concurrent algorithms
    • Loïc: working with the repo package for Mozilla, useful for Android and chromeOS builds as well as for the boot to gecko. Checking with LTs for supporting phones in the kernel trees that the LTs output (activity was targeted at Mozilla - eg to use Linaro images as a base for testing also on phones based on OMAP4 and other SOCs). Boot architecture: checking openOCD to program a bootloader into a devboard - quite disappointed at the state of openocd. Finally, has been discussing with a french company who are interested in offering interns to Linaro.
    • Checked the basic state of the Connect arrangements
      • For STB and IVI it is time to touch base with the invited participants to verify who is coming. A list of the registrations is available
      • From the server point of view: there are already some registrations on the system, hopefully we can discuss server + UEFI/platform-architecture side of the work.

Actions from this meeting

  • CARRIEDOVER: Paul to write up the current capabilities of the scheduler INPROGRESS
  • CARRIEDOVER: Write down thoughts based on the future topics INPROGRESS
  • CARRIEDOVER: Ilias to organize the STB summit - INPROGRESS
    • Ilias: Agenda created and shared also some more folks were contacted.
  • [ACTION]: Ilias to push for a touchbase on the guests attendance for STB and IVI.

OfficeofCTO/2011-10-11 (last modified 2011-10-13 11:37:36)