Parent


LEG-SC
<< <  2020 / 6 >  >>
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Attendees

  • Joe Bates (Linaro)
  • Andrea Gallo (Linaro)
  • Ilias Biris (Linaro)
  • Leo Duran (AMD)
  • Kumar Sankaran (Applied Micro)
  • Jeff Underhill (ARM)
  • Rob Herring (Calxeda)
  • Kiko (Canonical)
  • Prasun Kapoor (Cavium)
  • Ali Adl-Tabatabai (Facebook)
  • Tim Wesselman (HP)
  • Paolo Faraboschi (HP)
  • Jon Masters (Red Hat)
  • Elsie Wahlig (Samsung)
  • Bill Mills (TI)

Guest

  • Andrew Haley (Red Hat)

Unable to attend

  • David Rusling (Linaro)
  • George Grey (Linaro)
  • Anmar Oueja (Linaro)
  • Ed Gasiorowski (Applied Micro)
  • Xinwei Hu (Huawei)
  • Assaf Hoffman (Marvell)
  • Shadi Ammouri(Marvell)

OpenJDK on AArch64

All OpenJDK is portable code across architectures. Andrew is modifying three parts: the template interpreter and the two JIT compilers, C1 and C2.

The template interpreter at start up creates a table to associate assembly routines to each byte code, that the parser shall interpretate. Faster then a swtich loop.

C1 is a fairly straightforward macro expander compiler, not difficult to write.

C2 is a much more difficult piece of software.

A full port requires the interpreter and the C1 compiler. C2 may come later.

Current status:

  • using a very simple simulator for AArch64 written by RH. It is based on a subset of the instructions needed by OpenJDK. Very light weight and easy to modify.
  • the interpreter is done, compatibility tests ok, few bugs
  • just started working on C1 and C2 in parallel
    • C1 is few months of work by one programmer
    • C2 is more one year of work
  • RH expects to have C1 much before any real hw comes out and C2 slightly before
  • given that the simulator had been started done at RH long ago, when real hw comes out there may be bugs found
    • the current simulator does not boot a full processor or a full OS, just tests the few instructions they support
  • Tim: 1y for the C2 seems too long or at least coming too late
    • Andrew: it cannot be less, based on estimates of similar work done elsewhere
  • Leo/Bill: any value in moving from RH simulator to Fast or Foundation model running the Linaro OE LAMP image?
    • Andrew: indeed, yes.
  • Jon: testing and integration on models, in LAVA, etc. would help
    • Andrew: the Java Compatibility Kit is available for compliance testing and the Regression Test Harness for regression testing. It currently requires 3-4w of CPU time on the simulator. Good if it can run at Linaro in parallel.

  • Jon: which profile for additional help?
    • Andrew: one additional resource can help if really very very very experienced in core JIT or in assembly and the way assembly interacts with the core OS
    • Andrew: more help also from adding hooks for debugging in Eclipse: stopping the VM, inspecting, etc. Need to have it in mid term, ready for people to report/debug applications
    • Good also to have code review from sw architects who know which code chains may be too slow or not efficient.
  • Jeff: good to have a go with another simulator and targeting real hw. QA in Lava is of course important. What would the status be for C2 in 1y? mature?
    • Andrew: 1y would allow to have pretty excellent generated code but not sure about the stability given the code base to test it on.
  • Bill: how much of the debugging would be in the template interpreter and how much in the C1 or C2?
    • Andrew: most of the debugging happens in the template interpreter. Debugging in C1 or C2 will happen in the later stages.
  • Tim: how do we set a regular update?
    • Jon will act as a proxy and invite Andrew when major progress is reached.

Actions from previous meeting

#

Action

Owner

Status

1

Solicit power management guidance from HP, FaceBook, other OEMs on the desired ACPI states

Tim, Ali, etc.

OPEN

2

Invite Andrew Haley to provide an update to LEG and Linaro on openJDK

Jon, Andrea

DONE

3

request Linaro COO to review and sign Open-MPI contributor agreement then feedback to LEG-SC

Andrea

OPEN

4

Organize a BOF session on JIT and code generators at LCA13

Andrea

OPEN

5

Promote clarification of PXE in UEFI card + feedback from Jon/Kiko

Anmar

OPEN

6

evaluate if KVM mini summit possible e/o January - early February

Ilias

DONE

7

add the snapshot date on each roadmap update

Andrea

DONE

8

estimate tentative date for UEFI on v8 and add to the roadmap

Anmar, Andrea

OPEN

9

identify minimal subset of MCE alarm reporting

Tim, Ali

OPEN

10

direct written guidelines to the TSC specifically for Linaro assignee to work on QEMU v8

David

OPEN

11

provide TSC final answer on GRUB2/GPLv3

David

DONE

12

request Linaro COO to review and sign Intel TBB contributor agreement then feedback to LEG-SC

Andrea

OPEN

13

provide confirmation that Canonical and RH will use GRUB2

Jon, Kiko

OPEN

14

provide guidelines about using Oracle jdk8 eval release for testing

David

OPEN

  • BOF JIT: Jon will be there, Andrew maybe in Dublin in July
  • PXE: involve Kiko/Jon/Bill/Rob
    • Bill: Grub can be the payload for PXE, would it be enough?
    • Need to continue off line in a dedicated call
  • Tim: impressed by the significant strenght of internal feedback against MCE. Need to think about it and prepare the right answer. There may be too heavy inherited baggage from other architectures if ported to ARM.
    • Jeff: better if ARM looks at this at a wider level and come back to LEG.

LCA13

Confirmed attendees: Ali, Tim, Jon, Bill, Prasun, Kiko, Jeff, Leo, Rob, Elsie No: Paolo

Minutes from previous meetings

Elsie, Jeff, tim and Jon ok to publish all on the public wiki. Everybody else agrees.

Roadmap

Updated roadmap

LEG Roadmap 2013Q1-1.png

Jeff: the AArch32 and AArch64 logo's refer to the execution modes on the ARM 64-bit processors, while actually in the roadmap slide we refer to work for the v7 and v8 platforms. The icons may be misleading for people outside the LEG-SC, who may thing that the work is for the v8 platform only and running in either 32 or 64-bit modes.

Update on the assignees

Engineer

Company

Team

Steven Kinney

AMD

UEFI

Venkataramanan

AMD

Tools

Anup Patel

Applied Micro

Virtualization

Pranavkumar Sawargaonkar

Applied Micro

Virtualization

Leif Lindohlm

ARM

UEFI/ACPI

Steve Capper

ARM

Verticals

Robert Ritcher

Calxeda

Kernel

Andre Przywara

Calxeda

Virtualization

John Rigby

Canonical

Virtualization

Michael Hudson

Canonical

Verticals

Naresh Bhat

Cavium

ACPI (tentative)

n/a

Cavium

UEFI

Owen Yamauchi

Facebook

Verticals

n/a

HP

LAVA

HanJun Go

Huawei

ACPI

Ard Biesheuvel

Linaro

Verticals

Steve McIntyre

Linaro

Verticals

dropped offer

Linaro

ACPI

n/a

Marvell

n/a

Marvell

Fu Wei

RedHat

LAVA

Al Stone

RedHat

ACPI

Rony Nandy

Samsung

UEFI

Yvan Roux

ST

Tools

Reece Pollack

TI

UEFI

Team

#

target

UEFI

4

4

ACPI

3

5

Kernel

1

1

Virtualization

4

4

Verticals

5

7

LAVA

2

2

Tools

2

2

Need to focus on ACPI and Verticals resources for the new profiles

chart2.png

Engineering update

  • GRUB
    • UEFI now loads GRUB, debugging the lock up on the Arndale board
  • UEFI
    • pxe environment set up, working on the network driver in QEMU
    • emmc work in progress on Arndale, targeting the February release though not confirmed yet
  • ACPI
    • great progress on ACPICA kernel module though missing PCI, user side tool packages updated
  • KVM
    • mini summit with all Linaro engineers on virtualization + Marc Zingier and Andrew Wafaa at ARM and Christoffer Dall from the Columbia University
    • review current status of ongong work in the community on v7 and v8
    • create the backlog for KVM work in Linaro
    • define KVM test tool integration in LAVA on the Arndale
    • prepare a KVM demo for Connect on Arndale
  • Verticals
    • web front
      • started discussions about tests and suites to identify possible bottlenecks and optimal configurations
    • assembly scanning: first cut now done, focusing on packages for the web front end
    • HDFS CRC: enabled the native code, some mem copy to be removed, working on NEON
    • HHVM: a build for TBB is now available, Owen is trying to build it in and also removing some x86 assembly dependencies
    • Distributed computing
      • on hold at the moment
  • Created the wiki pages for the Verticals with copy paste info from the previous shared google doc.

    • sponsors should help the assignees deepen the analysis for each vertical and draft the corresponding roadmap cards

Card review

HHVM

Assembly scan and other optimisations

AOB

  • Jeff: allocate one person in looking at enterprise benchmarks towards compiler improvements
    • Bill: get a list of current benchmarks being executed by the toolchain team
    • Current Tests run on GCC releases (retreived after the call):
      • SpecCPU 2000 (INT & FP)

      • EEMBC v1
      • EEMBC Office
      • EEMBC Denbench
      • EEMBC Coremark
    • The team plans to add EEMBC Networking soon then SpecCPU 2006 (INT & FP) on A15 (Arndale)

On 7th February, next LEG-SC call, Deepak Saxena will be the special guest and give an overview of the activities in the core Kernel WG in Linaro.

On 14th February, second next LEG-SC call, Amit Kucheria will be the special guest and give an overview of the activities in the core Power Management WG in Linaro.

Actions from this meeting

#

Action

Owner

Status

1

Solicit power management guidance from HP, FaceBook, other OEMs on the desired ACPI states

Tim, Ali, etc.

OPEN

2

request approval for HHVM epic and interpreter cards

Andrea

OPEN

3

request Linaro COO to review and sign Open-MPI contributor agreement then feedback to LEG-SC

Andrea

OPEN

4

Organize a BOF session on JIT and code generators at LCA13

Andrea

OPEN

5

Promote clarification of PXE&GRUB in UEFI card + feedback from Jon/Kiko/Bill/Rob

Anmar

OPEN

6

request approval for the assembly scanning card

Andrea

OPEN

7

provide guidelines about using Oracle jdk8 eval release for testing

David

OPEN

8

estimate tentative date for UEFI on v8 and add to the roadmap

Anmar, Andrea

OPEN

9

identify minimal subset of MCE alarm reporting

Tim, Ali

OPEN

10

direct written guidelines to the TSC specifically for Linaro assignee to work on QEMU v8

David

OPEN

11

request Linaro COO to review and sign Intel TBB contributor agreement then feedback to LEG-SC

Andrea

OPEN

LEG-SC/2013-01-31 (last modified 2013-02-08 13:12:11)