Thursday 3rd March 2011

Previous Actions Recorded

  • nytowl to test s5pv310 hwpack and images
  • slangasek to raise the issue with debian-policy on whether or not we need e2fsprogs as Essential: yes
  • JamieBennett to invite nytowl to the release meeting

  • tgall_foo to email JamieBennett, slangasek about netbook image status

People Present

  • JamieBennett

  • plars
  • james_w
  • slangasek
  • zyga
  • lool
  • JesseBarker

  • nytowl
  • mounir
  • jcrigby
  • patrikryd

Actions Recorded

Agenda

Announcements

  • Image clean-up on snapshots.linaro.org

Action item review

  • See above

Image status

  • Build status

Bugs

  • Outstanding bugs of importance.

Progress Information

Team reports

Meeting Log

Started logging meeting in #linaro-meeting
[17:01:46] <JamieBennett> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-03-03
[17:01:52] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Announcements
[17:02:00] <JamieBennett> Alpha-3 will be released today !
[17:02:12] <JamieBennett> Please manually test the RC as soon as possible
[17:02:22] <JamieBennett> currently we have 2 manual tests on qatracker :(
[17:02:42] <JamieBennett> plars: you team will be doing some testing today?
[17:02:56] <plars> JamieBennett: I plan to run some tests on panda at least
[17:03:20] <plars> JamieBennett: it was brought up in our meeting this morning too
[17:03:24] <JamieBennett> yes
[17:03:38] <JamieBennett> plars: more of your team are scheduled to test though aren't they?
[17:03:45] <james_w> hi
[17:03:52] <JamieBennett> I remember zyga on the list
[17:03:55] <plars> JamieBennett: iirc, zyga is on the hook for one of his boards
[17:04:00] <plars> right
[17:04:02] <slangasek> how much time available for testing before you release? my today is longer than yours :)
[17:04:05] <zyga> JamieBennett, ?
[17:06:44] <JamieBennett> zyga: weekly testing
[17:06:44] <JamieBennett> slangasek: It will be in around 4 hours time
[17:06:45] <JamieBennett> hopefully I can get confirmation that manual testing is ok for at least ubuntu-desktop
[17:06:45] <JamieBennett> OK, moving on
[17:06:45] <JamieBennett> Image clean-up on snapshots.linaro.org
[17:06:46] <JamieBennett> IS are in the process of tidying up snapshots to better reflex the focus of our images this cycle.
[17:06:46] <JamieBennett> The structure will be:
[17:06:47] <JamieBennett> /linaro-ubuntu-desktop - Linaro build of Ubuntu desktop
[17:06:48] <JamieBennett> /linaro-android-handset - Linaro build of Android handset (not yet available)
[17:06:48] <JamieBennett> /linaro-alip - Linaro build of ALIP
[17:06:49] <JamieBennett> /linaro-developer - Linaro headless-type image with developer tools
[17:06:49] <JamieBennett> /linaro-nano - Smallest headless-type image
[17:06:50] <JamieBennett> /old - all other obsolete images
[17:06:50] <JamieBennett> JesseBarker: did you still have use for the Multimedia seed?
[17:06:50] <zyga> right
[17:06:51] <JamieBennett> it been used from what I can see
[17:06:52] <slangasek> ok
[17:06:56] <JamieBennett> it hasn't sorry
[17:06:58] * zyga can test one image today
[17:07:08] <JamieBennett> zyga: ubuntu-desktop please :)
[17:07:35] <JamieBennett> JesseBarker: sorry Graphics seed
[17:07:45] <lool> /linaro-nano -> is this an initrd in the end?
[17:07:47] <plars> zyga: do you have plans to run some tests today for rc image?
[17:07:52] <JesseBarker> JamieBennett, no worries.
[17:07:54] <slangasek> lool: it isn't today
[17:08:09] <lool> slangasek: Is the plan to make it an initrd?
[17:08:15] <slangasek> the plan is to make it very small
[17:08:18] <zyga> plars, yeah, I remember reading an email about upcoming testing this morning, I was planning on doing this around 22:00 when kids go to sleep
[17:08:20] <slangasek> initrd is still one option
[17:08:23] <JamieBennett> JesseBarker: do you still need this image as its going to be decommissioned unless you need it
[17:08:34] <plars> thanks zyga
[17:08:49] <JamieBennett> zyga: I need reports by 21:00 UTC if possible
[17:09:05] <zyga> JamieBennett, in that case I can start now and see what I can do
[17:09:10] <JamieBennett> thanks zyga
[17:09:26] <JamieBennett> OK, JesseBarker if you need it then please shout, otherwise it goes away.
[17:09:29] <JesseBarker> JamieBennett, as long as we have the packages available, i think the seed itself is less an issue (or did i miss the question)
[17:09:29] <JamieBennett> moving on
[17:09:31] <JamieBennett> ah
[17:09:38] <JamieBennett> OK, thanks
[17:10:02] <JamieBennett> any other questions on the image reorg?
[17:10:37] <zyga> JamieBennett, http://releases.linaro.org/platform/linaro-n/ubuntu-desktop/alpha-3-rc/
[17:10:44] <JamieBennett> zyga: yes please
[17:10:48] <zyga> JamieBennett, what's the point.point of the duplication in filenames?
[17:11:05] <JamieBennett> ?
[17:11:13] <JamieBennett> what duplication?
[17:11:19] <zyga> .list.list .tar.tar .packages.packages
[17:11:26] <zyga> .asc.asc
[17:11:31] <zyga> it does look silly
[17:11:38] <JamieBennett> um, not sure what happened there, I will fix after the meeting
[17:11:45] <zyga> thanks
[17:11:51] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Action item review
[17:12:10] <JamieBennett> * nytowl to test s5pv310 hwpack and images
[17:12:17] <JamieBennett> * slangasek to raise the issue with debian-policy on whether or not we need e2fsprogs as Essential: yes
[17:12:21] <JamieBennett> * JamieBennett to invite nytowl to the release meeting: DONE
[17:12:24] <JamieBennett> * tgall_foo to email JamieBennett, slangasek about netbook image status: DONE, netback image is now available on snapshots.linaro.org
[17:12:42] <slangasek> debian-policy> carry over
[17:12:44] <nytowl> JamieBennett, I'm still waiting for the images to show up on snaps shots
[17:12:53] <slangasek> (or drop it from your list and I'll just keep it on mine, as you prefer)
[17:12:59] <JamieBennett> nytowl: its still in IS unfortunately
[17:13:17] <nytowl> the 2.6.37 is working with headless
[17:13:19] <JamieBennett> nytowl: I can manually give you the hwpack if you want to test
[17:13:48] <nytowl> I've manually generated the hwpack and it works here on headless
[17:13:58] <nytowl> I'm going to try some of the other images today
[17:14:12] <JamieBennett> great, thanks nytowl
[17:14:36] <JamieBennett> thats it for Action items
[17:14:39] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Image Status
[17:14:52] <JamieBennett> Ubuntu Desktop is now our flagship image, classed as a LEB (Linaro Evaluation Build).
[17:15:01] <JamieBennett> To that end this is the image we should be testing the most.
[17:15:24] <JamieBennett> All images are currently building fine in Offspring.
[17:15:34] <JamieBennett> Ubuntu desktop had a build failure due to archive skew, fixed now on rebuild.
[17:15:40] <JamieBennett> Hardware packs are also building fine.
[17:15:58] <JamieBennett> Any questions on images?
[17:17:13] <JamieBennett> OK
[17:17:18] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Bugs summary
[17:17:24] <JamieBennett> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-03-03#Bugs
[17:17:34] <JamieBennett> So no bugs there for a reason
[17:17:43] <JamieBennett> The bug part of this meeting is for others to highlight bugs that should be on the release teams radar.
[17:17:54] <JamieBennett> If you think a bug will affect the release images please subscribe the linaro-release team.
[17:18:05] <JamieBennett> This way we can prioritise bugs that should be discussed here.
[17:18:27] <JamieBennett> I can triage bugs and try to figure out what should be discussed but its better if the teams come to me with bugs (by adding them to the agenda and subscribing linaro-release) instead.
[17:18:46] <JamieBennett> with that in mind and an empty list, are there any bugs we need to discuss this week?
[17:19:39] <mounir> JamieBennett, this is new - an you add this to your reminder note next to keep this in mind?
[17:19:55] <mounir> s/an/can/
[17:20:22] <JamieBennett> I always add it to the reminder but I can reword it to be more precise
[17:20:43] <mounir> JamieBennett, thx
[17:21:02] <JamieBennett> OK so no bugs, thats good ;)
[17:21:14] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Progress Discusion
[17:21:20] <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS_REPORT] Dev Platforms
[17:21:23] <JamieBennett> Hi slangasek, can you give us a quick report on how the multi-arch stuff went this week?
[17:21:44] <slangasek> well, we got dpkg dropped into the archive on Tuesday
[17:21:51] <slangasek> sorry, Monday
[17:22:21] <slangasek> and much of my time since then was spent fixing up regressions to let the Ubuntu guys have an on-time alpha, since there were a couple more behavior changes than expected
[17:22:36] <slangasek> so an exciting week, but the end everything's worked out
[17:23:02] <slangasek> there are still several more pieces we need to have in place before multiarch is ready for anyone to use in the archive
[17:23:19] <slangasek> but everything's still in motion
[17:25:21] <slangasek> that's all I have to say on that... questions? :)
[17:25:37] <JamieBennett> awesome
[17:25:38] <JamieBennett> slangasek: are we over the initial breakages now?
[17:25:38] <JamieBennett> slangasek: but we still expect this to happen for the 11.05 cycle right?
[17:25:40] <slangasek> yes, and yes
[17:25:50] <JamieBennett> :)
[17:26:17] <slangasek> with the dpkg feature freeze exception dealt with, the rest is just incremental cleanups
[17:26:34] <zyga> JamieBennett, does l-m-c from maverick work on natty images we're testing?
[17:28:36] <JamieBennett> OK, awesome work on multiarch, I have another question, any news on the display problems for OMAP4, will we see a new kernel soon?
[17:29:15] <JamieBennett> slangasek: kernel?
[17:29:27] <slangasek> I don't know the status there; the current kernel has a workaround to get panda booting by disabling video, but I don't know who's working on resolving the underlying issue
[17:29:36] <slangasek> s/current kernel/& package/
[17:29:45] <JamieBennett> zyga: l-m-c has undergone lots of changes, I would get the latest
[17:29:59] <zyga> JamieBennett, I see, thanks
[17:30:02] <JamieBennett> slangasek: OK, I'll chase jcrigby for that info ;)
[17:30:09] <JamieBennett> thanks slangasek
[17:30:17] <slangasek> the tools ppa has an l-m-c for maverick that is supposed to work for natty images
[17:30:29] <slangasek> JamieBennett: better to chase the kernel wg, I would think?
[17:30:42] <JamieBennett> mounir: is this something you can investigate?
[17:30:57] <mounir> JamieBennett, yes
[17:31:02] <JamieBennett> OK, thanks mounir
[17:31:16] <JamieBennett> [ACTION] mounir to investigate the status of the Panda display problem
[17:31:37] <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS_REPORT] Infrastructure
[17:31:44] <james_w> hi
[17:31:48] <JamieBennett> talking of l-m-c james_w: when do you expect that we will see a new l-i-ts release?
[17:31:53] <JamieBennett> is it on your radar?
[17:31:54] <james_w> we have progressed
[17:31:57] <james_w> not sure
[17:32:15] <james_w> there's no-one free to dedicate time to it currently
[17:32:36] <JamieBennett> lool: is pushing for this, lool do you have more info?
[17:32:39] <jcrigby> JamieBennett, last info I have is in the bug.
[17:32:45] <JamieBennett> jcrigby: OK, thanks
[17:32:54] <james_w> are there particular things we are looking for fixes on?
[17:33:11] <JamieBennett> lool has a large bug list last I heard :)
[17:33:29] <james_w> we all have one of those :-)
[17:33:36] * JamieBennett nods
[17:33:56] <JamieBennett> james_w, I'll chase lool but you have no plans for an upcoming l-m-c release?
[17:34:43] <james_w> I'd like to have one, and we can release whatever is in trunk, but we aren't able to spend much time on bugfixes currently
[17:35:03] <JamieBennett> OK
[17:35:15] <JamieBennett> thanks james_w
[17:35:19] <james_w> np
[17:35:21] <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS_REPORT] Kernel WG
[17:35:22] <lool> Eh
[17:35:28] <JamieBennett> ah lool appears
[17:35:34] <JamieBennett> l-m-c plans ;)
[17:35:43] <lool> So I'm basically splitting my time between lit and other higher priority topics
[17:35:53] <lool> salgado is helping a bit but is busy with patch tracker
[17:35:54] <james_w> the other thing to mention is that status.linaro.org will show a bit of a jump in workitems today or tomorrow when I roll out "bugs as workitems" fixes
[17:36:05] <lool> overall it's bard to commit to cutting a release by this or that date :-/
[17:36:14] <james_w> salgado is also going to be working only 3 days in the next two weeks
[17:36:32] <lool> The interesting bugs are milestoned for lit 0.4.4; I'm not sure we will fix them all
[17:36:56] <lool> but it's basically a case where it would really be nice to finish this release, but everybody is busy
[17:37:05] * JamieBennett nods
[17:37:09] <lool> So I'll report progress and continue working on it as much as time allows
[17:37:18] <JamieBennett> OK
[17:37:22] <JamieBennett> so nothing impending then
[17:37:23] <lool> one important part is board support
[17:37:33] <lool> the LTs are pushing support for their boards into lmc
[17:37:38] <lool> which is great
[17:37:54] <james_w> samsung is all but merged I believe. What about imx.53?
[17:38:04] <lool> The SMDKv310 (Samsung) is very close now; the mx5 MP I've seen seemed relatively small in diff, but I didn't review it
[17:38:28] <lool> But I would expect it should be trivial, just didn't find the time
[17:38:54] <lool> It might be important for LT to have this support in the archive soon, so we might have to bump priority of this
[17:39:21] <lool> 
[17:39:26] <JamieBennett> makes sense, thanks lool
[17:39:46] <JamieBennett> and james_w by bugs as workitems does this include bugs outside of the ubuntu project?
[17:39:53] <james_w> yes
[17:39:57] <JamieBennett> awesome :)
[17:40:25] <JamieBennett> OK, moving on to kernel issues
[17:40:41] <JamieBennett> mounir: lots of bugs are untriaged at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux-linaro, can you get your team to look at some of them?
[17:41:30] <mounir> JamieBennett, yes will do
[17:41:35] <JamieBennett> thanks
[17:41:38] <JamieBennett> [ACTION] mounir to ask the kernel team to triage bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux-linaro
[17:41:52] <JamieBennett> another question mounir :)
[17:42:03] <JamieBennett> mounir: are your team using the patches@linaro.org facility? I see patches are being submitted up stream, do they also go there? james_w, are you seeing patches for u-boot and device-tree work for example?
[17:42:40] <mounir> JamieBennett, In general yes, you had an instance where some did not, we keep reminding the team
[17:43:23] <JamieBennett> OK, please do, and all leads, we need to remind people to use patches@linaro.org as its only as good as the data coming into it
[17:44:05] <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS_REPORT] Toolchain WG
[17:47:24] <JamieBennett> last question, honest ;)
[17:47:25] <JamieBennett> mounir: any issues with the 4 upcoming deliverables from your team?
[17:47:25] <james_w> JamieBennett, u-boot, a couple, device tree a couple too
[17:47:26] <JamieBennett> james_w: OK, so we are getting some things from the group
[17:47:27] <james_w> it looks like it
[17:47:27] <lool> Sorry, DT remins me: I've suggested to gcl to look at what it would take in terms of tools and packaging changes to have a DT demo
[17:47:27] <lool> so he will look into how we write images today etc., and then open bugs to get the relevant changes done
[17:47:28] <lool> it would be great to have this for 11.05, but it might not all be packaged and everything
[17:47:28] <lool> it might impact kernel packaging, u-boot-linaro, linaro-media-create and instructions
[17:47:28] <lool> Sorry for the interruption
[17:47:28] <JamieBennett> lool: should this discussion be going on on linaro-dev?
[17:47:28] <mounir> jamieBenett, we means Paul & I
[17:47:28] <mounir> JamieBennett, you mean the toolchain deliverables, I am not aware of issues
[17:47:28] <lool> JamieBennett: I would expect gcl to raise it when he needs to
[17:47:28] <JamieBennett> lool: OK
[17:47:28] <lool> Just wanted to give a heads up that it's coming
[17:47:28] <JamieBennett> mounir: OK, thanks
[17:47:28] <JamieBennett> lool: OK, if we need changes then the sooner the better of course
[17:47:51] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Team reports
[17:47:57] <JamieBennett> All team reports are collated at:
[17:48:03] <JamieBennett> [LINK] http://wiki.linaro.org/Status
[17:48:08] <JamieBennett> and progress at
[17:48:17] <JamieBennett> [LINK] http://status.linaro.org
[17:48:34] <JamieBennett> finally
[17:48:36] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] AOB
[17:48:44] <JamieBennett> Anything else to raise?
[17:49:11] <lool> Did we cover Android's status?
[17:49:16] <lool> I might have missed that one
[17:49:21] <patrikryd> No
[17:49:32] <JamieBennett> lool: not status as it doesn't effect the release atm
[17:49:39] <JamieBennett> patrikryd: you can say a few words?
[17:49:44] <patrikryd> ok
[17:49:50] <patrikryd> beagle boots
[17:50:08] <lool> JamieBennett: Ok; since Android is also under Platform and since you had mentioned this /linaro-android, I was thinking it would be good to keep an eye on progress here
[17:50:22] <patrikryd> panda does not boot unless we have proprietary binaries from TI
[17:50:45] <lool> patrikryd: You have touchscreen and/or mouse support with beagle already?
[17:50:48] <patrikryd> 8500 does not boot my problem (low prio)
[17:51:11] <patrikryd> lool: No. Not yet
[17:51:34] <JesseBarker> mounir, that's what I was noticing. I think a server or network connection must have died.
[17:52:00] <JamieBennett> lool: indeed, we have http://android-build.linaro.org/jenkins and https://android-build.linaro.org/mockup/ as part of the build service, we could move images to snapshots.l.o when we have more to show
[17:52:09] <mounir> JesseBarker, they are back
[17:52:12] <JamieBennett> lool: still work in progress
[17:52:31] <JamieBennett> lool: but we will cover android as it advances more
[17:53:01] <lool> JamieBennett: yeah; I don't think we need too much detail, but knowing how far android images are from being on snapshots.linaro.org would already be a good input to this release meeting I guess
[17:53:15] <JamieBennett> OK, I'll add it to the agenda
[17:53:17] <JamieBennett> thanks
[17:53:19] <patrikryd> This week we are looking at writing blueprints. Soon we will be just like the rest of you. :)
[17:53:25] <JamieBennett> :)
[17:53:44] <JamieBennett> If there are no more topics I will close the meeting 7 mins early
[17:53:50] <JamieBennett> going once
[17:53:53] <JamieBennett> twice
[17:54:00] <JamieBennett> #endmeeting
Meeting ended.

IRC Paste Text

#startmeeting
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-03-03
[TOPIC] Announcements
[TOPIC] Action item review
[TOPIC] Image Status
[TOPIC] Bugs summary
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-03-03#Bugs
[TOPIC] Progress Discusion
[TOPIC] Team reports
All team reports are collated at:
[LINK] http://wiki.linaro.org/Status
[TOPIC] AOB
#endmeeting

Cycles/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-03-03 (last modified 2011-04-15 19:45:16)