Wednesday 15 December 2010

Adenda

IRC Paste Text

#startmeeting 
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2010-12-15
[TOPIC] Announcements
[TOPIC] Bugs summary 
[LINK] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=armel 
[LINK] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=linaro 
[LINK] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linaro 
Bug 652221
Bug 674090
Bug 654884
[LINK] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro 
[LINK] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linux-linaro 
   * Lots of Kernel bugs, 6 medium or above, many un-triaged.
[TOPIC] Progress Information 
  * Tracking tools are slowly coming back so:
   * Foundations - http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty/linaro-foundations.html
   * Infrastructure - http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty/linaro-infrastructure.html
   * User Platforms - http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty/linaro-user-platforms.html
   * Graphics WG - http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/linaro-graphics-wg/all.html
   * Multimedia WG - http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/linaro-multimedia-wg/all.html
   * Toolchain WG - http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/linaro-toolchain-wg/all.html
   * Power Management WG - http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/linaro-pm-wg/all.html
[TOPIC] Team reports 
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Status
[PROGRESS REPORT] Foundations 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Infrastructure 
[PROGRESS REPORT] User Platforms 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Landing Teams 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Kernel Consolidation 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Toolchain
[PROGRESS REPORT] Power Management
[PROGRESS REPORT] Landing Teams
[TOPIC] AOB
#endmeeting

People Present

Actions Recorded

  • tgall_foo to give slangasek more input for bug 652221
  • tgall_foo to follow up on bug 654884
  • mounir to get kernel WG and jcrigby to look over both linaro kernel bugs and triage (pacakge and upstream)
  • mounir to nail down process for regular bug triage in kernel WG and report back
  • jcrigby to reassign linux-linaro bugs to individual kernel projects
  • lag to talk to Scott about what is necessary to get UX500 images building again wrt the kernel

Meeting Log

Meeting opened by JamieBennett at 17:03

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2010-12-15

  • <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Announcements

Announcements

  • <JamieBennett> Tracking is semi-back.

http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/test.html is a work in progress example, needs some design love but lots of information there.

  • <JamieBennett> http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/test.html is a work in progress example, needs some design love but lots of information there.

    <JamieBennett> thanks to james_w !

    <asac> wohoo

    <JamieBennett> individual team pages are back but the test page above shows new concepts

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Bugs summary

Bugs summary

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=armel

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=linaro

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+bugs?field.tag=armel

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+bugs?field.tag=linaro

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linaro

  • <JamieBennett> now the interesting stuff ;)

    <JamieBennett> these three still linger

    <JamieBennett> Bug 652221

    <JamieBennett> Bug 674090

    <JamieBennett> Bug 654884

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 652221 in upstart (Ubuntu) (and 1 other project) "Headless on beagle, beagle XM, does not boot into tty (affects: 2) (heat: 53)" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/652221

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 674090 in linaro "locahost cannot be resolved (affects: 3) (heat: 14)" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/674090

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 654884 in linaro "linaro-alip doesn't restart xfce session on logout (affects: 2) (heat: 5)" [Medium,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/654884

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: do have any more thoughts on the tty problem?

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: still waiting for more info from tgall_foo

    <slangasek> I can't reproduce this problem at all here

    <asac> tgall_foo:

    <asac> tgall_foo: also whats the status of 654884 ?

    <JamieBennett> asac: yeah, I thought we had got rid of that one but its still around

    <tgall_foo> slangasek, right I owe you the results of the oen experiment we talked about

  • tgall_foo looks for 654884

    <slangasek> yes please

    <asac> hmm. i dont see an explicit comment in the bug after jamie mentioned that the fix has landed for bug 654884

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 654884 in linaro "linaro-alip doesn't restart xfce session on logout (affects: 2) (heat: 5)" [Medium,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/654884

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] tgall_foo to give slangasek more input for bug 652221

tgall_foo to give slangasek more input for bug 652221

  • <ubot2> Launchpad bug 652221 in upstart (Ubuntu) (and 1 other project) "Headless on beagle, beagle XM, does not boot into tty (affects: 2) (heat: 53)" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/652221

    <JamieBennett> asac: right, it was never confirmed to be fixed

    <tgall_foo> asac, right I believe that issue is resolved tho I haven't explicitly tested for it in natty

    <asac> [ACTION] tgall_foo to follow up on bug 654884

    <tgall_foo> k

    <asac> thx

    <JamieBennett> ACTION] member:tgall_foo to follow up on bug 654884

    <asac> heh

    <JamieBennett> doh

    <JamieBennett> ACTION] tgall_foo to follow up on bug 654884

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 654884 in linaro "linaro-alip doesn't restart xfce session on logout (affects: 2) (heat: 5)" [Medium,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/654884

    <JamieBennett> double doh

    <asac> meh

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] tgall_foo to follow up on bug 654884

tgall_foo to follow up on bug 654884

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linux-linaro

  • <JamieBennett> we need some love here

    <asac> tgall_foo: just keep your highlight active ;)

    <JamieBennett> Lots of Kernel bugs, 6 medium or above, many un-triaged.

    <JamieBennett> I blame lag ;)

    <asac> who is doing this bug triage? jcrigby ?

    <asac> (for the ubuntu package that is)

    <JamieBennett> I was under the impression this should be jcrigby, slangasek ?

    <mounir> we went through the bug list and John is

    <mounir> during last meeting, we will be going over the bug lists in the weekly meetings

    <asac> mounir: so kernel WG also helps on that bug list?

    <mounir> yes

    <JamieBennett> mounir: can you get kernel WG and jcrigby to look over the two projects listed above?

    <asac> mounir: note that there are two bug lists:

    <asac> 1. for the package in ubuntu - https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro

    <asac> 2. for the upstream project - https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linux-linaro

    <slangasek> I would hope that for linux-linaro as a whole the kernel WG would also help with triage

    <asac> ok

    <mounir> ok

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] mounir to get kernel WG and jcrigby to look over both linaro kernel bugs and triage (pacakge and upstream)

mounir to get kernel WG and jcrigby to look over both linaro kernel bugs and triage (pacakge and upstream)

  • <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Progress Information

Progress Information

  • <asac> [ACTION] mounir to nail down process for regular bug triage in kernel WG and report back ;)

    <asac> thanks

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] mounir to nail down process for regular bug triage in kernel WG and report back

mounir to nail down process for regular bug triage in kernel WG and report back

  • <JamieBennett> * Tracking tools are slowly coming back so:

    <slangasek> NB, a new problem is that linux-linaro is no longer the source package we're using, as of natty

    <asac> heh

    <asac> someone should reassign the bugs then i guess ;)

    <JamieBennett> what are we using linux-linaro for now then?

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: there are individual source packages for each flavor

    <JamieBennett> ah, right

    <JamieBennett> So we need to track other lists too

    <slangasek> yep :/

    <JamieBennett> and as asac says retarget from linux-linaro

    <JamieBennett> a jcrigby job for retargeting?

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] jcrigby to reassign linux-linaro bugs to individual kernel projects

jcrigby to reassign linux-linaro bugs to individual kernel projects

Team reports

Foundations

  • <JamieBennett> slangasek: nice and fresh in your mind I guess ?

    <JamieBennett> ;)

    <slangasek> fresh in my mind, but not yet distilled into a sensible summary :)

    <slangasek> toolchain, kernel revving appropriately in natty

    <slangasek> known issues in xdeb being worked on

    <slangasek> half the team already gone on vacation for the year

    <slangasek> :)

    <slangasek> I think that's it for a summary right now

    <JamieBennett> and u-boot progress? anything there?

    <slangasek> jcrigby is working on 2010.12, but that's still RC and not yet uploaded to natty

    <slangasek> so I think we're in good shape

    <JamieBennett> OK, thanks slangasek

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Infrastructure

Infrastructure

  • <JamieBennett> james_w: go !

    <james_w> ImproveLinaroMediaCreate: towards the last part of porting, then will move on to some refactoring to improve the code. Expected to finish at the end of the rally. Losing an engineer who has been working on this at the end of the week.

    <james_w> OurOwnOffspring: some progress on getting the hardware from IS. They estimate a few weeks before that is set up. Still missing some ARM hardware to use as builders.

    <james_w> TestResultTracking: some infrastructural improvements in the code. Starting on bridging automated toolchain test/benchmark runs with the dashboard to push all of that data in to it.

    <james_w> OverallStatusReporting: burndown charts up and running again. Working on improving them so that they are more useful. Still need to get a permanent location for them to live, awaiting people.linaro.org/~linaro from IS, though perhaps we should discuss using status.linaro.org directly.

    <james_w> QA: Paul has been rocking the automated testing setup, but I don't have details to pass along, sorry.

    <james_w> bug 684585 and bug 678398 are on the QA team's radar, and XM doesn't boot with recent hwpacks, as being discussed on the mailing list.

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 684585 in u-boot-linaro "[imx51evk] uboot is too old and boot failed in 11.05alpha1 release (affects: 1) (heat: 6)" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/684585

    <james_w> You won't hear a whole lot from the Infrastructure/QA teams until the new year now, most engineers have at least a week off.

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 678398 in u-boot-linaro "[imx51evk] command "saveenv" is not supported (affects: 1) (heat: 8)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/678398

    <james_w> One issue that came up is that there is apparently no ux500 hwpack daily build for 11.05. asac?

    <asac> right

    <slangasek> has anyone spotted the difference yet between the 20101207 and 20101208 hwpacks?

    <asac> there is no kernel

    <asac> (no new kernel for natty)

    <JamieBennett> asac: same is true for OMAP4

    <james_w> what's the appropriate process for us to escalate these issues?

    <james_w> slangasek, not that I know of

    <asac> to get ux500 bsp hwpack we could resurrect the old one or just say we only would do a new one if there is a new kernel

    <JamieBennett> asac: right but its into policy now, do we carry an old BSP kernel two cycles?

    <asac> james_w: i think slangasek/Jamie could shoot landing teams a mail giving them heads up that we currently cannot build a ux500 hwpack

    <JamieBennett> I've already been in contact with plars and lag about it (and possibly others)

    <james_w> great

    <james_w> what about the bugs?

    <JamieBennett> so imx51evk needs more people on it but hardware is short

    <JamieBennett> is jcrigby aware of these bugs slangasek ?

    <lag> There's nothing we can do - we've only just begun work

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: I don't know

    <JamieBennett> lag: right, if you want images you may want to push for the BSP kernel from last cycle but thats something for Scott to decide on

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: OK, I'll talk to jcrigby as he's not around atm it seems

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: I see he's subscribed to one of those bugs, anyway

    <asac> lag: will there be a "BSP" kernel drop? or will you only release an "upstreaming" tree?

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, I'm here

    <slangasek> but he should probably be in as a bug supervisor on the project

    <lag> asac: Just the latter

    <JamieBennett> hey jcrigby

    <lag> asac: The BSP is under NDA

    <asac> lag: right. but maybe not forever?

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] lag to talk to Scott about what is necessary to get UX500 images building again wrt the kernel

lag to talk to Scott about what is necessary to get UX500 images building again wrt the kernel

  • <lag> The new Generic track is up, you're welcome to attempt to use that?

    <asac> lag: what does that mean?

    <lag> asac: http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=bsp/st-ericsson/linux-2.6.35-ux500.git;a=summary

    <JamieBennett> OK so that needs more thoughts from the LT

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: the two imx51evk bugs above, any comments?

    <asac> lag: ok cool. anyone doing the packaging for that? you or mpoirier ?

    <lag> asac: You are ;)

    <JamieBennett> lag doesn't get this LT thing

    <jcrigby> they are fixed in 2010.12 so if we can wait for that then that is what I would like to do

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett,

    <asac> lag: ok good. lets talk about that after meeting

    <lag> JamieBennett: Doesn't get this LT thing

    <lag> ;)

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: OK, can you make a comment on the bugs for that please

    <JamieBennett> OK, moving on

    <lag> asac: NP

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, sure

    <asac> lag: we need to understand who is doing what here to ensure success ;)

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] User Platforms

User Platforms

  • <lag> asac: Yep

    <JamieBennett> short summary from asac

    <james_w> slangasek, ubuntu{3,4} of uboot-omap3-beagle is the difference

    <slangasek> jcrigby: do you think we should have a 2010.12-rc upload to natty?

    <asac> as i said, just short summary ... as long as UP still exists

    <slangasek> james_w: ah

    <asac> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyReport

https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyReport

  • <asac> (its basically high level update on mm and graphics atm)

    <asac> * First patch for linaro 11.05 cairo GLES efforts landed upstream (2010-12-15)

    <asac> * Autocolorspace updates in progress after request from gstreamer team for some updates after initial gstreamer patches

    <asac> * Successfully proof of concept for NEON optimized Android JPEG decoder on Linux

    <asac> * Meego Packaging for graphics WG progress 18 Packaged (41 identified pkgs total, 12 optional)

    <asac> also weekly status with engineer reports is:

    <asac> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-12-15

https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-12-15

  • <asac> minutes will land there later today

    <JamieBennett> great

    <asac> ok thats it .. lets move on to the individual WGs if possible ... they share the pages atm still

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Multimedia WG

Multimedia WG

  • <JamieBennett> JesseBarker: :)

    <asac> oh me is first ;)

    <asac> JamieBennett: JesseBarker is graphics

    <JamieBennett> right

    <asac> so yeah ... tough week. we started to have mini team calls to get the team productive and to make progress on the blueprints

    <asac> gsachin takes over many lead reponsibilities there for gstreamer and validation parts

    <asac> rajeev is working on getting our milestones properly set on our series now and to target things properly against it

    <asac> some topic summaries until we can properly report on the BP

    <asac> * gstreamer efforts: sachin leads gstreamer efforts now; camerabin2 will try to make this a joint effort with collabora and TI. specs are making good progress, but still not approved

    <asac> autocolorspace converter and egl sink specs have however started already (with autocolor space already flown upstream)

    <asac> * validation efforts: stories for instrumented player have first PoC; details for metrics application and validation suite finally come together in the blueprint

    <asac> * codec optimization: JPEG prototype reusing NEON optimization done in android successfully finished

    <asac> -> now benchmarking to get a baseline and porting NEON snippets to the better architecture of jpeg-turbo will happen

    <asac> vp8 is blocked on lack of work environment for rony

    <asac> aac is still drafting; kan said he will finish that this week before I leave to vacation

    <asac> * pulseadio + low-power: krtaylor did some good investigations on alsa and pulseaudio after figuring out how to best develop and test that. He also will get his work items refreshed for approval by tomorrow

    <asac> current focus is on understanding the dynamic buffer growth for alsa-sink in pulseaudio and how to allow longer periods to be buffered on hardware side to allow better leverage of low power

    <asac> but we understand the basic already from what i understand so i expect first successful results on this front early next year

    <asac> i think thats it ... one more thing on mm WG milestones

    <asac> we will use monthly milestones to target WIs and blueprints against

    <asac> we use second last thursday to have some time to get our output delivered in linaro platform

    <asac> (milestones seem to be either last or first monday of a month for platform) ... lets see how that model goes

    <JamieBennett> OK, makes sense, maybe you want to co-ordinate with JesseBarker to have the same milestones

    <asac> ok thanks

    <JamieBennett> thanks asac

    <asac> JamieBennett: well ... i would like to leave that to him. but i can talk with him about ti

    <asac> questions? otherwise move on

    <JamieBennett> asac: JesseBarker was asking about what milestones to use, it may make sense to standardise a bit unless we need to diverge

    <JamieBennett> anyway

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Graphics WG

Graphics WG

  • <JamieBennett> JesseBarker: :)

    <JesseBarker> Sure.

    <JesseBarker> with the initial dispatch patch for cairo accepted upstream, work can now continue on adapting existing gl backend for gles.

    <JesseBarker> Benchmark work is proceeding nicely with new tests for the EGL_image_pixmap functionality (how compositors get stuff on screen) in progress.

    <JesseBarker> glproxy library hit a couple of snags in the form of weird mesa bugs, but the mesa guys understand and are working on them.

    <JesseBarker> biggest near-term snag is that chromium related work (chromium-wm, possibly chromium browser) requires x86_64 build environment, which jammy doesn't have.

    <JesseBarker> the compiz blueprint is being revived, and our contractor (travis) should be on board any day now.

    <JamieBennett> I think Michael Hope has a x86_64 environment open for ssh access if thats adequate

  • james_w -> lunch

    <JesseBarker> had a good planning/scoping session with the canonical guys involved in those components (as well as Unity) to make sure we can hit the ground running when travis comes on board.

    <JamieBennett> \o/

    <JesseBarker> JamieBennett: jammy is at freescale, so if he can access from inside their firewall, might work.

    <JamieBennett> OK

    <JesseBarker> last but not least, dri blueprint is moving sluggishly forward.

    <JamieBennett> thanks Jesse

    <JesseBarker> that's about it, though i will be finalizing one more assignee (hopefully today) to work on dri/mali upstream stuff.

    <asac> awesome

    <asac> more powers to the GWG

    <JamieBennett> :)

    <JamieBennett> So we are running out of time, 4 teams to get through in 3 mins. Let do it differently, any issues from kernel, toolchain, Power Management or Landing Teams to raise here?

    <lag> Nope

    <asac> lol

    <lag> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/LandingTeams/ST-Ericsson/WeeklyReport

https://wiki.linaro.org/LandingTeams/ST-Ericsson/WeeklyReport

https://wiki.linaro.org/LandingTeams/ST-Ericsson/Meetings/2010-12-14

  • asac looks

    <lag> Enjoy! Any questions email me

    <JamieBennett> lol

    <JamieBennett> lag so Linus' time issues are being worked on?

    <lag> JamieBennett: Mmmmmmmmm

    <lag> JamieBennett: You could say that

    <asac> yes

    <asac> its worked on

    <JamieBennett> OK

    <lag> JamieBennett: People have been told not to keep bugging him

    <JamieBennett> :)

    <asac> options like: installing an electric fence near his desk are discussed

    <asac> :)

    <lag> JamieBennett: I've put in a request to the big boss to allow him to work at home - which he liked

    <lag> JamieBennett: Watch this space

    <JamieBennett> :D

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] AOB

AOB

  • <asac> right. we are going through this with STE using him as an example

    <JamieBennett> asac: good to know

    <JamieBennett> we need Linus 100%

    <lag> Yup!

    <asac> 150%

    <JamieBennett> lets not be greedy ;)

    <lag> That's impossible

    <asac> welll its just the standard load baseline for linaro

    <JamieBennett> true

    <JamieBennett> lag: quick one line answer for the state of the Generic track kernel (without swearing ;) )

    <lag> Okay

    <JamieBennett> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 18:02

Cycles/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2010-12-15 (last modified 2011-04-07 21:26:00)