Thursday 2nd October 2010

Agenda

IRC Paste Text

#startmeeting 
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2010-12-02
[TOPIC] Announcements
[TOPIC] Bugs summary 
[LINK] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=armel 
[LINK] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=linaro 
[LINK] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linaro 
Bug 652221
Bug 674090
Bug 654884
Bug 652226
[LINK] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro 
[LINK] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linux-linaro 
Lots of Kernel bugs need triage, jcrigby please take a look.
Bug 683195 and Bug 672656 seem like easy wins.
Bug 683683
Fix in the archive, images respun
[TOPIC] Progress Information 
 * Tracking tools not available at the moment, Infrastructure is working on it.
[TOPIC] Team reports 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Foundations 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Infrastructure 
[PROGRESS REPORT] User Platforms 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Landing Teams 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Kernel Consolidation 
[PROGRESS REPORT] Toolchain
[PROGRESS REPORT] Power Management
[TOPIC] AOB
#endmeeting

People Present

  • JamieBennett

  • asac
  • slangasek
  • tgall_foo
  • james_w
  • sbambrough
  • mounir
  • paulmck
  • lool
  • jcrigby
  • anmar

Actions Recorded

  • JamieBennett to find a willing victim to fix bug 652221

  • tgall_foo to supply slangasek with a VT1 transcript for bug 652221
  • JamieBennett to get the developer images produced from tgall_foo after alpha-1

  • JamieBennett to discuss auto-syncing of public images from offsprint with james_w

Meeting opened by JamieBennett at 17:02

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2010-12-02

  • <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Announcements

Announcements

  • <JamieBennett> So, welcome to the first meeting of the new cycle :)

    <JamieBennett> Only announcement from me is thanks to ogra we have working images again

    <JamieBennett> busybox doesn't like -marm it seems

    <JamieBennett> I'll make the official release in a couple of hours

    <JamieBennett> Thanks all that tested

    <asac> whats the bug for busybox?

    <JamieBennett> bug 683683

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 683683 in klibc (Ubuntu Natty) (and 3 other projects) "run-init on omap3, omap4 in natty dies with "run-init: Unknown error 17718852" (affects: 3) (dups: 1) (heat: 26)" [High,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/683683

    <JamieBennett> [LINK] https://launchpad.net/bugs/683683

https://launchpad.net/bugs/683683

  • <ubot2> Launchpad bug 683683 in klibc (Ubuntu Natty) (and 3 other projects) "run-init on omap3, omap4 in natty dies with "run-init: Unknown error 17718852" (affects: 3) (dups: 1) (heat: 26)" [High,Invalid]

    <JamieBennett> tgall_foo, jcrigby and ogra tracked it down late last night and today

    <asac> is that a toolchain bug?

    <JamieBennett> its unclear at this time, busybox triggers it, I think the current understanding is that its busybox

    <JamieBennett> ogra may have more recent information

    <JamieBennett> OK moving on

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Bugs summary

Bugs summary

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=armel

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.tag=linaro

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linaro

  • <JamieBennett> A few of note, again nothing major

    <JamieBennett> Bug 652221

    <JamieBennett> Bug 674090

    <JamieBennett> Bug 654884

    <JamieBennett> Bug 652226

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 652221 in upstart (Ubuntu) (and 1 other project) "Headless on beagle, beagle XM, does not boot into tty (affects: 2) (heat: 69)" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/652221

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 674090 in linaro "locahost cannot be resolved (affects: 3) (heat: 16)" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/674090

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 654884 in linaro "linaro-alip doesn't restart xfce session on logout (affects: 2) (heat: 6)" [Medium,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/654884

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 652226 in linaro "reboot from netbook efl gui returns to login screen, but doesn't reboot (affects: 1) (heat: 4)" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/652226

    <JamieBennett> I hope we can sort the tty problem out early this cycle

    <asac> yeah... tty sounds bad

    <JamieBennett> Its been there for 'like forever'

    <JamieBennett> We need to get a solution for that

    <slangasek> well, I requested more info on that bug from anyone seeing it

    <asac> thats the race thing, right ... i thought moving from starting to started would fix it

    <slangasek> we don't know if it's a race or what it is

    <asac> kk

    <JamieBennett> tgall_foo looked into it at one stage I think

    <JamieBennett> tgall_foo ?

    <slangasek> after moving to 'started', it's no longer reproducible for me

    <JamieBennett> tgall_foo has reported no console still in the past day or so

    <asac> hmm

    <tgall_foo> JamieBennett, right I had done a few things that slangasek had asked but that's about it (re console)

    <JamieBennett> and your comment on the bug says its still a problem

    <tgall_foo> correct

    <JamieBennett> OK, we need to put some resource on that to figure it out properly

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] JamieBennett to find a willing victim to fix bug 652221

JamieBennett to find a willing victim to fix bug 652221

  • <ubot2> Launchpad bug 652221 in upstart (Ubuntu) (and 1 other project) "Headless on beagle, beagle XM, does not boot into tty (affects: 2) (heat: 69)" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/652221

    <slangasek> again, since I can't *reproduce* it, I still need the requested VT1 transcript from an affected system

    <asac> tgall_foo: can you provvide it?

    <tgall_foo> sure happy to

    <slangasek> thanks

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] tgall_foo to supply slangasek with a VT1 transcript for bug 652221

tgall_foo to supply slangasek with a VT1 transcript for bug 652221

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linux-linaro

  • <JamieBennett> Lots of Kernel bugs need triage, jcrigby please take a look.

    <JamieBennett> Bug 683195 and Bug 672656 seem like easy wins.

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 683195 in linux-linaro "CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS isn't set on vexpress (affects: 1) (heat: 8)" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/683195

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 672656 in linux-linaro "Vexpress needs CONFIG_SWAP on (affects: 1) (heat: 8)" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/672656

    <JamieBennett> Bug 683683

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 683683 in klibc (Ubuntu Natty) (and 3 other projects) "run-init on omap3, omap4 in natty dies with "run-init: Unknown error 17718852" (affects: 3) (dups: 1) (heat: 26)" [High,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/683683

    <JamieBennett> oops, this was fixed by ogra :)

    <asac> that was the busybox... just wanted to say that ;)

    <JamieBennett> anything else on bugs?

    <JamieBennett> hehe

    <JamieBennett> I have that bug on my mind since last night ;)

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Progress Information

Progress Information

  • <JamieBennett> Unfortunately tracking tools not available at the moment, Infrastructure is working on it and we expect something next week-ish

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Team reports

Team reports

  • <asac> yay

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Foundations

Foundations

  • <JamieBennett> wookey ?

    <JamieBennett> (or standing Foundations meeting chairman)

    <JamieBennett> our

    <JamieBennett> Umm, we have no meeting notes it seems for yesterday

    <JamieBennett> Lets just say Foundations is going well ;)

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Infrastructure

Infrastructure

  • <james_w> * ImproveLinaroMediaCreate - good progress on porting to Python. Going to start refactoring to improve APIs once that is complete.

    <james_w> * OverallStatusReporting - still hammering out what we want to provide here. Exposed blueprints on the API, and ported the work-item-tracker to use this (not landed yet). Will be adapting tracker to cope with Linaro's multiple projects this week.

    <james_w> * dashboard.linaro.org - Reports framework prototype done. Starting work on reports which will lead to being able to visualise performance over time etc. Other improvements such as SSO integration are landing.

    <james_w> * Image building - lp:offspring is now open source. Working on getting a public linaro instance set up. Progress on installing multiple hwpacks.

    <james_w> * QA - Caught the alpha-1 boot bug with automated QEMU testing. Some way to go before this can be run at scale continuously, but a good early demonstration of the value. u8500 and imx51 test plans.

    <james_w> * abrek - worked on clutter-eglx-es20 integration.

    <JamieBennett> Well done on the Offspring work !

    <james_w> thanks mwhudson and cody

    <JamieBennett> james_w: for the reporting do we have a live instance that people can look at or is it planned?

    <JamieBennett> I talked to zyga about combining that with the tracking tools, there may be some overlap there

    <james_w> JamieBennett, live instance of work-items-tracker?

    <JamieBennett> no zyga reporting framework

    <james_w> ah, that reporting

  • asac confused

    <james_w> not yet, it requires running from the branches, but there is a demo report in there if you want to

    <asac> dashboard == reporting?

    <JamieBennett> asac: there are two parts

  • sbambrough confused as well

    <JamieBennett> dashboard that is live

    <JamieBennett> dashboard.linaro.org

    <james_w> the dashboard is growing the ability to do reports of test result status etc.

    <asac> right

    <JamieBennett> zyga: has produced a reporting framework also

    <JamieBennett> using similar tools

    <asac> i dont understand ... i thought dashboard was about test result status

    <asac> but lets take this offline

  • asac has no brain today

    <JamieBennett> hehe, I'll talk to you later about it :)

    <james_w> asac, it is, but it is just storage right now. This cycle is about adding reports and visualisation to it

    <asac> ah ... visualization. kk

    <JamieBennett> zyga is currently ill so I'm not sure how that will effect the project

    <JamieBennett> anyway

    <JamieBennett> thanks james_w

    <james_w> np

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] User Platforms

User Platforms

https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyReport

https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/UserPlatforms/WeeklyStatus/2010-12-01

  • <asac> so graphics wg is in good shape and started work on a few fronts

    <asac> tgall_foo helped on all the iamges we have now afaik

    <JamieBennett> yes, thanks tgall_foo

    <asac> multimedia wg is still speccing as a few things had to be discussed in depth with upstream et.

    <asac> the image spec and the vp8 spec are mostly done

    <asac> gstreamer at least has a final direction now: make a eglsink

    <asac> for that we started two new specs covering just that

    <asac> and a colorconversion element spec that allows to hook hardware capabilities for that into gstreamer playbin if available on the platform (like for ste)

    <asac> those together will cover the gstreamer zero copy and consolidation blueprints now

    <asac> i think tgall already got his initial multimedia and graphics wg seeds up ... and almost merged for natty

    <asac> so that will be next if not already happened

    <JamieBennett> We need to add the new developer images still. I've committed to making that happen once alpha-1 is out of the door.

    <asac> anyway ... i think thats the status

    <asac> right

    <asac> the mm and graphics wg seeds are based on that

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] JamieBennett to get the developer images produced from tgall_foo after alpha-1

JamieBennett to get the developer images produced from tgall_foo after alpha-1

  • <asac> but afaik the seed is merged and the meta is uploaded? (for developer image)

    <JamieBennett> asac: we need it in offspring and syncing to the snapshots server

    <asac> hmm

    <asac> so ... can we fix the output tree of offspring so we can just sync everything?

    <asac> in that way we dont need to get RT tickets for all new images

    <asac> james_w: ?

    <JamieBennett> what about images that we don't want to sync (I can think of one recent one in there)

    <james_w> don't know off the top of my head, let's talk about this later

    <asac> ok

    <asac> JamieBennett: right. we could have a public and private project or something

    <JamieBennett> asac: makes sense

    <asac> though i am not sure why we wouldnt want to sync the one we just produced

    <asac> its just that i dont want to file an RT ticket for it ;)

    <asac> but the content is definitly not secret atm

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] JamieBennett to discuss auto-syncing of public images from offsprint with james_w

JamieBennett to discuss auto-syncing of public images from offsprint with james_w

  • <asac> thanks

    <JamieBennett> asac: do we have any update on compiz for ARM this cycle (to use Unity on our images)? I presume this is waiting for resources?

    <asac> i am done

    <asac> yes ... resources need to be allocated to port compiz

    <JamieBennett> OK

    <asac> came late and isnt on graphics WG ... there are a few candidates though in the pipeline

  • JamieBennett wants to see unity on ARM :)

    <sbambrough> i need to talk to asac about that

    <asac> and also other options ... but i can already say that if we get this it will be late

    <asac> sbambrough: sure ... i already talked to anmar

    <sbambrough> cool

    <asac> sbambrough: but we can meet on mumble after my turn is over

    <asac> (before the next call that is)

    <JamieBennett> OK, lets keep fingers crossed for that one

    <JamieBennett> thanks asac

    <asac> thanks

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Landing Teams

Landing Teams

  • <JamieBennett> sbambrough: do you want to say some words or shall I?

    <sbambrough> ST-Ericsson LT kickoff meeting was last week

    <JamieBennett> (lag excused himself)

    <sbambrough> Output of LT will be kernel upstreaming, packaging of X and GStreamer related code, and testing of these items

    <sbambrough> Freescale LT started Dec 1, kickoff meeting delayed until Jan due to various travel related issues

    <sbambrough> Samsung, and TI are still in discussions

    <JamieBennett> Excellant

    <sbambrough> I should have more info next week

    <JamieBennett> Apparently the ST-E kickoff was very positive from what I heard so well done to all involved.

    <sbambrough> Yes, but I am delinquent on reporting back to ST-E, so that is the focus of today and tomorrow

    <JamieBennett> I've seen Linus Walleij pushing the UX500 core code already to linux-next so things are definitely happening there.

    <JamieBennett> things are looking positive :)

    <JamieBennett> thanks sbambrough

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Kernel Consolidation

Kernel Consolidation

  • <JamieBennett> lool or paulmck ?

    <JamieBennett> (or mounir)

    <mounir> Paul is on the meeting,

    <mounir> We have palced the update on the wiki

    <paulmck> Hello, JamieBennett!

    <JamieBennett> hi paulmck

    <paulmck> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/KernelConsolidation/WeeklyReport

    <paulmck> (Many thanks to Mounir for pulling this together.)

    <JamieBennett> mounir: can you give us an idea of the status of 2.6.37 ?

    <JamieBennett> in the archive that is

    <JamieBennett> (are you tracking that?)

    <mounir> not in this meeting, can I defer to next meeting?

    <JamieBennett> its OK, its not specifically your area (more for slangasek but I wondered if you knew)

    <paulmck> JamieBennett: are you asking about patches we have gotten into 2.6.37, or something else?

    <JamieBennett> paulmck: no something else, thats fine

    <paulmck> K.

    <JamieBennett> paulmck: I trust things are going well in kernel land?

    <JamieBennett> any problems?

    <paulmck> JamieBennett: We are a bit behind in blueprints and specs due to my travel schedule following UDS, but catching up.

    <JamieBennett> paulmck: do you need any help with that?

    <paulmck> Working through backlog of interviews -- two left to do.

    <paulmck> JamieBennett: Should be fine, but thank you for offering.

    <lool> Ups was distracted

    <lool> JamieBennett: linux-linaro was split into multiple source packages in natty

    <lool> JamieBennett: I sponsored omap, mx51 and vexpress

    <lool> only vexpress built and is in binary NEW

    <lool> I responsoreed omap and mx51 today, which should build

    <lool> then we can NEW and I (or someone else) can sponsor -meta

    <JamieBennett> lool: do you know the status of OMAP4 support in 2.6.37?

    <lool> JamieBennett: No; jcrigby would

    <JamieBennett> OK, I'll talk to him later

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, ?

    <JamieBennett> ah, ^

    <JamieBennett> status of 2.6.37 OMAP support

    <JamieBennett> are we likely to see a linux-linaro OMAP image that is functional this cycle?

    <JamieBennett> (OMAP4)

    <JamieBennett> IYO

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, my panda boots, thanks to anand usb works so networking works

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, I see an error on booting about framebuffer no intializing but I don't know if that is my old panda or a general problem

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, I think with anand's help we can have functional omap4 soon

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: awesome, thanks for the update

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, speaking of this, who "owns" the hwpack contents? Landing teams?

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: depends on the image, if its a Linaro official one the Foundations

    <JamieBennett> if its bsp then the landing teams

    <jcrigby> ahh, ok

    <anmar> JamieBennett: how do we qualify an image as official?

    <anmar> JamieBennett: I mean how do we select it or decide what is official or not

    <JamieBennett> anmar: if it comes from the linux-linaro kernel tree

    <JamieBennett> is the main criteria

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, the reason I ask is that with new .37 kernel the omap3 uarts are no longer ttyS but ttyO like omap4

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, so the boot.scr needs to change

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: OK this is something foundations would need to do, can you raise a bug for that

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, yes

    <JamieBennett> anmar: any other bits that belong in the hwpack need to be open really for it to be official rather than from the bsp but its a grey area outside the kernel

    <anmar> JamieBennett: thanks for the explanation. it is something we need to figure out in the future though

    <JamieBennett> anmar: right, I think as long as the bsp is opening there is a case for the hwpack to be official but this is a decision for management as its more direction and policy

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Power Management

Power Management

https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/PowerManagement/WeeklyReport

  • <JamieBennett> which leads us to

    <JamieBennett> [PROGRESS REPORT] Toolchain

Toolchain

https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/ToolChain//WeeklyReport

  • <mounir> mainly two bp's about to be complete already !

    <JamieBennett> \o/

    <mounir> the team will be updating the bugs staus more closely and the pb's updates at least weekly

    <JamieBennett> I see armv7-string-tuning could be picked up by Ubuntu via glibc, sounds good

    <mounir> yep a lot of work is being done on the string functions

    <JamieBennett> great

    <JamieBennett> thanks mounir

    <mounir> JamieBennett: np - yw

    <JamieBennett> so back to

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] AOB

AOB

  • <JamieBennett> One last thing from me

    <JamieBennett> after the last minute bug we had can people with hardware (or team leaders prod their people) test the new images in the next couple of hours to make sure we have reasonable images for alpha-1

    <JamieBennett> I'll make a release around 21:00 UTC

    <JamieBennett> OK, thanks for attending all

    <JamieBennett> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 18:00

Cycles/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2010-12-02 (last modified 2011-04-07 21:24:53)