Release Review: 2011.12
Created: David Zinman <david.zinman AT linaro DOT org>
Release Review: 2011.12
- Developer Platform
- Power Management
- Key Points for wider discussion
- Release Highlights
- Include any major updates, good, bad news and issues.
- Include highlights and lowlights.
- Things to improve.
- Include relevant links.
- Having platform work directly with the SoC vendor to enable their boards is the best, most efficient way to provide the level of enablement that we all want and need.
- We had great success in cross-community work. We set an example.
- Good engagement with ST-Ericsson and Samsung Landing Teams
- We talked directly to the member and to the communities
- BP’s should reflect reality. Better update discipline and quick burial of the dead.
- Branches are created when we should be consolidating:
- framework/base has branches linaro_android_ snowball linaro_android_origen linaro_android_pandaboard that were made for the 3-D/2-D graphics split
- We should continue to talk directly to members and communities. It pays off.
- We must work even harder to get access to source for proprietary components.
- We must stop branch proliferation in components and start consolidating.
Be tough in the beginning with BP:s, don’t keep “good to have” and unrealistic ones (or make it clear that these are good to haves with Low or Medium priority)
- We need to have access to the source for the proprietary user space and kernel components and access to the engineers that worked on these in order to enable graphics and multimedia.
- Relatively short cycle
- Released in time and closed milestone before release
- no respin on desktop image
LT -> Platform calls and standup meetings were useful
- good improvement
- BP of Kernel CI excellent job done
- Only one or two bugs for CI
- Release Linux-linaro kernel
- Wookey work on cross build is very beneficial
- Good progress on XBMC - Available
- Refining work items in BPs to be more specific
- lots of bugfixes - Panda and others
- wiki pages describing test cases were very helpful
- Released on time!
- testing is improving
- Lots of people on vacation
- respin on Snowball and Origen, relatively normal
- Working with LAVA difficult due to different schedules
- LAVA releases a week earlier
- Better communication for the respin
- need to be announced as early as possible
- uboot release was late and needed workaround for vexpress on Android side
- lack of video decode support on Panda - TI people on vacation
- pieces are in place for next cycle.
- need to have cross toolchain to be multiarch compatible
- Some of the bugs are still hanging around
- Debian cross-tools-not-in-distro situation needs fixing
- Integration with LAVA must happen earlier
- need to put more import to bug fixing
- put it on the agenda for LT sync
- uboot very important
- Like to have a prerelease for uboot
- job on CI.l.o to rebase the build against upstream
- Subdividing the kernel wg into 5 subgroups
- Pin control – gpio pin customizing
- Single kernel
- Android upstreaming
- device tree
- good progress for click-through functionality
- excellent teamwork to get things worked on.
- Pairing people working together worked well.
- Good experience with the team. Good learning experience.
- Good initative taken
- When a BP for milestone for Jenkins, other important things come up and it has to take a backseat
- other BP's push out less important ones
- Asac was away for much of the cycle so guidance was a bit lacking
- Planning could have been done a bit better
- if BPs must be left for more important ones, come to PM and discuss breaking out to next milestone
- The addition of the community specialist was extremely helpful to keeping the release on track and on time.
- Need easier access to instructions on how to get the source and build it.
- Bug filed: Bug 908155
Key Points for wider discussion
Cycles/1112/Release/Review (last modified 2011-12-23 21:02:12)